George Thorne

Gladram

46 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Urban Dictionary seems to say it could be either, but in my head the whole story fits a lot better if it is used in a negative way in this context. Can’t imagine anyone in the squad taking too kindly to it really.

Anyway, doesn’t really matter. Pretty obviously a really stupid thing to do when you first join a club.

FCED86B7-BCB7-4C08-9E27-1888558E8D8E.jpeg.a01e44f4406ca5e7018095249f7cd164.jpegE2E2203F-8391-431F-B728-A5D711D410C3.jpeg.24b5357b570c25768f6064c73e4e134b.jpeg

Thorne also uses a similar 'shortened' version of the same (?) word to describe Lampard when he refused his request to let him train with the first team rather than the U23s which was another reason for assuming it was meant in the negative sense. The tone he used when talking about it which didn't make it sound like he was proud of it (even though he was laughing about it as he looked back on it).

Obviously only Thorne knows what he meant 100% but the incident was talked about in the context of Jamie Ward, who'd previously been on the Podcast, having asked the interviewer to ask Thorne 'how long it took him to spit his dummy out' or words to that effect so it's pretty clear what the other players thought of the incident.

Overall very interesting and thanks very much to @Red Ram for the summary as I could not be bothered to listen

Think most footballers are a bit arrogant but it's part and parcel of being told they are gods gift since they were 10 - Thorne I definitely think at least has some right to be that way cos he's still (IMO) one of the best footballers we've had at the club for the last 10 years

7 hours ago, San Fran Van Rams said:

For me a few big things come out of that interview. Whether it's a biased view from Thorne of his events or not is a another matter but:

- Derby's phsios do not come across well. They properly mucked up Thorne's rehab, didn't even do a proper medical for him when he joined and overall seemed to be a big factor behind his injuries. We've seen a lot of major injuries at Derby and I for one wouldn't be surprised if the medical team were the common theme behind them all.

Think it's a slightly unfair point about the physio team - They're not doctors so wouldn't know whether the pain is normal or not and would have assumed any pain would be normal - However they probably should have been a bit more proactive

Also, I would assume he did a medical before he arrived on loan and wouldn't have expected any issues to have cropped up over a summer of not playing or training

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Agree with a lot of this, though I'm not sure on the Rush bit. I don't know whether £15,000 per appearance is particularly unusual in a transfer, on the assumption that those payments would have stopped once he hit a certain amount of appearances. It seems like a fairly standard way of structuring a deal (in return for a lower lump sum), and it probably worked in our favour considering his injury problems!

If you think of the kinds of appearance fees which are normal you'd easily put £500k after 50 games - That works out at £10k per game on average so £15k isn't unusual - and we all know the saga of getting Seth back from Leeds cos we were sue another payment

However I think the structure of 'per game' payments is a little unusual - It helps the selling club massively and is daft for the buying club (I would imagine) - And has gone on to screw the player

On 09/02/2021 at 13:56, Red Ram said:

Thorne eventually returned to the first team in 2017/2018 under Gary Rowett. Thorne credits Rowett as being the one manager who gave enough him the time to recover fully from any injuries he incurred, However after what was, by his own admission, a poor performance against Sunderland in March 2018,  Rowett never selected Thorne to play for Derby again.

This was the final nail in the coffin for Rowett in my eyes - Thorne had been perfectly fine that season and occasionally showed how much better he could be - One poor game where he wasn't even much worse than anyone else was and we never see him again - Bradders was equally bad (if not worse) that day but he gets back in 2/3 games later

Very very poor management and a stinking attitude from Rowett - One of his obvious favourites gets straight back in and another becomes a scapegoat

I think this as much as anything cost Thorne - If he'd had game time at the back end of the season Lampard would have had context and understood his value - The £15k would still have been hanging over his head but (for me) an in-form Thorne provides £15k a game more than Bradders does as a DM - Without that game time at the end of the season Lampard had nothing to base his decisions on and Thorne was out in the cold

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've never heard 'belter' used in a negative sense. I presume Thorne is suggesting it was understandable that he'd rather go on the piss than play for the U23s.

No belter can definitely be used in a negative way and I’m sure in this context it was a negative. It’s another word for prat/idiot.

No doubt in my mind that he meant Keogh and Grant thought he an idiot at first because of that, then obviously grew to like him. 

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-george-thorne-coaching-8480245?fbclid=IwAR2SzCswHWNnwtykcUbogzlk9gyQyQLNP3czPId-D6SEbps1n97Zn759Vqg

"Derby County favourite George Thorne has landed a coaching role after being appointed as the new assistant manager of St Neots Town. Thorne will assist manager Cameron Mawer at the Northern Premier League Division One Midlands side who were relegated last season"

10 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-george-thorne-coaching-8480245?fbclid=IwAR2SzCswHWNnwtykcUbogzlk9gyQyQLNP3czPId-D6SEbps1n97Zn759Vqg

"Derby County favourite George Thorne has landed a coaching role after being appointed as the new assistant manager of St Neots Town. Thorne will assist manager Cameron Mawer at the Northern Premier League Division One Midlands side who were relegated last season"

Can we get this thread as long as his first one?