George Thorne

Gladram

Really enjoyed both interviews. Thought Thorne came across well, although very different to the normal football cliches. Like a footballer revealing all over a pint, so very revealing. Thorne does come across a little arrogant, most footballers are! 

As others said, shocked he didn’t go on loan to League 1, better than the Under 23s, would maybe have sorted his career if he had done. Doesn’t sound in good nick now, but fingers crossed he gets his boots on for next season, too talented not to be in the game. Great player. 

I thought he came across quite arrogant, I don't blame him for feeling resentment at all, he had a torrid time. But there certainly were times where it made for quite uncomfortable listening, such as when he laughed off a move to League One, if he were hungry to impress and as miserable as he made out to be he would have grasped the opportunity.

It didn't seem as if he respected authority figures too much either, especially when he first came to Derby under McClaren and refused to train the day after he joined (when the first team had a Saturday off).

Rather than attend a training session with the U23s (as asked by McClaren and Paul Simpson) where the coaching staff could get a look at him and make sure he's sharp, he instead opted to go out on a pre-planned drinking session with his mates.

I'm hardly surprised he struggled to get a game for ages after, especially as he told Paul Simpson no in front of the whole first team dressing room on his first full day.

At the end of the day it's a very well paid job and in any other profession you do as you're told if it means keeping your job. 

Edited by DeMontfortRam

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Just listened to Part 2.

George still comes across as a bit of a nob, but so does Mel.

To be honest a fair bit of money was floating around that season when Lampard was here.  The cash spent on Holmes last minute would  have covered his 15k a game.  Struck me that Morris was perhaps saying Frank didn't really want to spend 15 k a week on playing you as he used the cash to get someone else in given the choice in another way trying to spare his feelings.

Probably knows that himself.   

12 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To be honest a fair bit of money was floating around that season when Lampard was here.  The cash spent on Holmes last minute would  have covered his 15k a game.  Struck me that Morris was perhaps saying Frank didn't really want to spend 15 k a week on playing you as he used the cash to get someone else in given the choice in another way trying to spare his feelings.

Probably knows that himself.   

Regardless of whether it was Franks preference or not he should've been told the reasons instead of the poor lad wasting two years of his life with us whilst he was never going to play. Derby should have done the decent thing and let him go to QPR even if it meant taking a loss (if that was possible with his West Brom deal)

Surely his agent would've picked up on the £15k per match when we signed him.

Whilst I don't agree with him refusing to be on the bench or play for the 23s under McClaren I can't help but feel sorry for him. He's had some rotten luck with injuries and treated appallingly by Mel. I'm surprised he's not more bitter to be honest.

I'm guessing Anya was in the same boat.

1 hour ago, AGR said:

Regardless of whether it was Franks preference or not he should've been told the reasons instead of the poor lad wasting two years of his life with us whilst he was never going to play. Derby should have done the decent thing and let him go to QPR even if it meant taking a loss (if that was possible with his West Brom deal)

Surely his agent would've picked up on the £15k per match when we signed him.

Whilst I don't agree with him refusing to be on the bench or play for the 23s under McClaren I can't help but feel sorry for him. He's had some rotten luck with injuries and treated appallingly by Mel. I'm surprised he's not more bitter to be honest.

I'm guessing Anya was in the same boat.

Imagine that was the problem.  Bit like we got paid for Ince when he moved to Stoke.  Wasn't sure what he meant by paying 2k a week from his wages to make up the difference in transfer fee.  Does that mean we would be covering a chunk of wages if he went to QPR ?.

Don't know. Always liked Thorne as a player and it sounds like his treatment with the broken leg wasn't great, but his attitude comes across as quite belligerent and inflexible in this and not sure he did himself any favours, as much as he wasn't aware of his contract details.

Really interesting listen. Adored George playing for us, his treatment was bizarre to say the least but as with all these things would be good to get a straight-up version from the others mentioned in some events. Just incredibly sad end here for such a huge potential talent for us

It’s good to finally hear George’s side of the story,

Derby come across as a bunch of numpties. I can’t believe no-one managed to buy out the clause with West Brom to give George a chance to play. Then again when we’re splashing millions on Anya etc £15k a game is hardly a deal breaker surely.  The contract extension was probably just to prevent him leaving for free. Frank doesn’t come out of it too well. 

The way he talks is just like Charlie George. A player who knew his own ability and just wants people to respect him enough to be totally honest. 

I

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm glad I've not listened, from these resumes he sounds a bit of an idiot and a total arse.

Edit: similar to some now, I can see where the 'he's not the best trainer' rumours came from!

yeah, dont listen to it, I just have and he sounds just as people have described, the stereo typical footballer who has never heard the word "no" in his life.

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I'm glad I've not listened, from these resumes he sounds a bit of an idiot and a total arse.

Edit: similar to some now, I can see where the 'he's not the best trainer' rumours came from!

You probably should listen, it’s a great interview and while he does seem a tad arrogant, it gives a fascinating insight into our club.