George Thorne

Gladram

22 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Definitely going to give this a listen:

Just finished listening to the first part of this. 

Wasn't massively impressed by him refusing to play U23s football on his first weekend at Derby cos he wanted to go out with his mates, but comes across pretty well on the whole.

Looking forward to the second part and hearing him talk about what happened with his Derby exit and the politics side of things with Mel.

34 minutes ago, AGR said:

Just finished listening to the first part of this. 

Wasn't massively impressed by him refusing to play U23s football on his first weekend at Derby cos he wanted to go out with his mates, but comes across pretty well on the whole.

Looking forward to the second part and hearing him talk about what happened with his Derby exit and the politics side of things with Mel.

I'm almost at the end of Part 1 and I think he's coming across as a bit of a nob, to be honest!

Still love him though.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

42 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm almost at the end of Part 1 and I think he's coming across as a bit of a nob, to be honest!

Still love him though.

Yeah, not great either how he went about leaving West Brom, booting balls away in training etc.

Wonder if he regrets not just staying there.

20 minutes ago, AGR said:

Yeah, not great either how he went about leaving West Brom, booting balls away in training etc.

Wonder if he regrets not just staying there.

I think that was our modus operandi at the time. Butterfield refusing to get off of the team coach, Antonio missing a game for Forest to ‘sort his head out’. 

Forestieri too, if I’m remembering correctly. 

8 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Still love him though.

I am pleased that I am not the only one to think that. Bit disappointed.

Brilliant footballer and maybe his attitude is his suit of armour against the awful bad luck he's had as a player.

16 minutes ago, angieram said:

I am pleased that I am not the only one to think that. Bit disappointed.

Brilliant footballer and maybe his attitude is his suit of armour against the awful bad luck he's had as a player.

It will be interesting to hear if there are any proper revelations about Mel in Part 2. While I’m no Mel fanboy, I’ll be heading into it with a bit of caution, knowing what I now know about George’s mindset. It didn’t sound good for Mel from the brief clip on Twitter, but I’m sure there will be two sides to the story.

10 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Still love him though.

Massive nob, tbh.

Maybe events have conditioned him to act in such a way, or maybe all footballers are that way,?

7 hours ago, Rev said:

Massive nob, tbh.

Maybe events have conditioned him to act in such a way, or maybe all footballers are that way,?

I thought he came across as the stereotypical footballer that we hope our players aren’t. 

To be fair, I don’t think that necessarily makes him a nob as a person. It probably just means he treats football like many people treat their jobs.

Or it could mean he’s a nob.

I thought he came across okay really. His story about refusing to play for our U23’s smacked of a typical cocky kid from a Prem academy but he’d have been 20 or 21 at the time and I can’t really imagine any of our loanees from that period really wanting to do it - given the comments from Jamie Ward he probably knew he was out of line with it as well.

The shenanigans around his transfer is something he was probably put up to by Rush / his agent and is something most of us probably lapped up at the time! And I know he has a vested interest but certainly didn’t sound like he owed any loyalty to West Brom. As @cannable says we barely managed to complete a transfer back then without upsetting somebody. 

His comment about Bryson not thanking Martin for his 5 year contract made me laugh, and was frustrating to hear how avoidable / stupid his injury in the Zenit game seemed.

Right now he probably feels quite a lot of resentment to a game that promised him so much but has ultimately left him in poor physical condition and suffering from depression so can understand his attitude towards it.

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I thought he came across okay really. His story about refusing to play for our U23’s smacked of a typical cocky kid from a Prem academy but he’d have been 20 or 21 at the time and I can’t really imagine any of our loanees from that period really wanting to do it - given the comments from Jamie Ward he probably knew he was out of line with it as well.

The shenanigans around his transfer is something he was probably put up to by Rush / his agent and is something most of us probably lapped up at the time! And I know he has a vested interest but certainly didn’t sound like he owed any loyalty to West Brom. As @cannable says we barely managed to complete a transfer back then without upsetting somebody. 

His comment about Bryson not thanking Martin for his 5 year contract made me laugh, and was frustrating to hear how avoidable / stupid his injury in the Zenit game seemed.

Right now he probably feels quite a lot of resentment to a game that promised him so much but has ultimately left him in poor physical condition and suffering from depression so can understand his attitude towards it.

It's worth adding that despite my comments, I still found the interview really insightful and engaging. Can't wait for Part 2.

Blake Fallows tends to get good interviews out of the players because he does it like a mate down the pub, and not a formal interview.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

On 26/01/2021 at 12:58, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Still love him though.

Totally agree, there's a bit on Twitter where he's going on about telling Frank what a training regime should look like. He just sounds like a tool. I understand he's going to be bitter at the way it all turned out (against the world, more than anything) but this is not putting him in a good light at all.

On 27/01/2021 at 09:05, nottingram said:

The U23 thing I put down to a player who knows how good he can be given the chance.  As he says in the interview, he came to us to play in the 1st team.  If he was happy with reserve football he'd have stayed at West Brom.  It was interesting that Schteve got Simmo to dish out information like that.  Perhaps a little window into how his man management skills are lacking??

On 26/01/2021 at 12:58, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Still love him though.

TBH, if you spoke candidly to 99% of professional footballers you'd think they were nobs, especially those that don't have to remember their media training, and tow the company line anymore.  That much money & adulation at a young age will make someone come across as cocky & arrogant.  Gorgeous George is no different.

Can't wait to listen to Part 2 later on.

Great player at Championship level, we may have got promotion (top 2) if he'd been able to play alongside Will Hughes, rarely did they get the chance to play alongside one another, as one got injured just as the other made his return. They worked well in tandem. That challenge on him at home to Ipswich, such a ridiculous one.

I'm not sure I want to judge his character, and if he's bitter regarding his career, then maybe he has some cause, & we all have our low/dark moments in life that we have to work through. He had a cruciate injury while he was at WBA as well if correct.

You'd like to think the PFA, somewhere along the line, could help him, maybe with advice if he ever wants to return to the game in some capacity (coaching/working with youngsters) or just support in general. If he wants a clean break out of the game, I can't blame him. 

18 minutes ago, Lander said:

Having just done the same, I didn’t think George came across as a knob at all given what he’s been through.

My main gripe was the fact that he laughed off the chance to move to a League One club on deadline day, despite the fact that it was his last chance to play the football that he claimed he was desperate for.

Still love him though.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

My main gripe was the fact that he laughed off the chance to move to a League One club on deadline day, despite the fact that it was his last chance to play the football that he claimed he was desperate for.

Still love him though.

Yeah fair enough I can understand why people would see it like that, personally I can understand him aiming higher particularly when he’d been held back by us for that amount of time through no fault of his own. It’s nice to actually hear the details of one of those stories where you think “we’ll never find out”, very refreshing.

7 minutes ago, Lander said:

Yeah fair enough I can understand why people would see it like that, personally I can understand him aiming higher particularly when he’d been held back by us for that amount of time through no fault of his own. It’s nice to actually hear the details of one of those stories where you think “we’ll never find out”, very refreshing.

Agreed. Blake Fallows is good at getting to some of the juicy stuff, as he approaches it like a fan.

Can’t believe they both forgot that Mac2 happened though!