George Thorne

Gladram

7 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Part 1 made George sound like a bit of a plonker, Part 2 I felt was better and I was more sympathetic to him.

Hope he gets his fitness and love for football back otherwise it will be a sad waste of a talent.

yep. actually that is totally true, it did make me nostalgic for that team i have to say..

I don’t think he said anything that Charlie George wouldn’t have said.

I was very surprised that Frank never used George but it was clear that the club wanted certain players out for financial reasons.

16 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

yep. actually that is totally true, it did make me nostalgic for that team i have to say..

And what he said about the millions we've spent since the QPR play off final, and not improving (in fact going backwards) is 100% true.  

Yes he made a couple of poor choices regards to being loaned out, but to not be told about the financial reasons why he wasn't getting a game is shocking.  Little things like this do add fuel to the flame in regards to Mel making it up as he goes along...

5 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

And what he said about the millions we've spent since the QPR play off final, and not improving (in fact going backwards) is 100% true.  

Yes he made a couple of poor choices regards to being loaned out, but to not be told about the financial reasons why he wasn't getting a game is shocking.  Little things like this do add fuel to the flame in regards to Mel making it up as he goes along...

Yeah, the whole thing with Mel is terrible. He comes out of It as a total idiot who got the wool pulled over his eyes by a more savvy businessman and by the looks of It he hasn’t learnt...!

From the outside it looked like Rowett threw Thorne (and Keogh) under the bus after Sunderland which was a woeful team performance, but in fairness it doesn’t sound like Thorne had too much issue with being dropped. The fact he was never picked again was odd but in fairness the form of the team also picked up. However that season he showed he could be a useful option in a top 6 side.

At times in the Lampard season we could have done with more options in midfield, such as when he randomly decided he wasn’t going to pick Johnson after bite gate before having to go back on that. It’s maybe fair enough to say that an extra midfield option wasn’t worth £15k per game but we spent £3m and probably double Thorne’s clause on wages for a rotation left back that season (before giving Lampard’s mate a contract to play there as well) so not sure it really washes. Sounds like Lampard was an arse if he didn’t like you which corroborates with the stories coming out from Chelsea now. 

Ultimately a fine footballer was robbed of two years of their career thanks to a clause, negotiated by ‘businessmen’, that he didn’t even know existed.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Nah. Him and Forsyth were crap that season.

Thankfully Forsyth managed to recover and has performed to a high level at various points since then. Which, I suppose, means there's always some hope for Thorne.

Neither were crap, they were both adequate for a top six side 

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

Neither were crap, they were both adequate for a top six side 

I'm big fans of both.

But if you think Forsyth was adequate that season, you must either be forgetful or blind. His confidence was completely shot, and it seemed particularly bad at away games.

He's done really well to subsequently recover.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

On 04/02/2021 at 13:56, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I'm big fans of both.

But if you think Forsyth was adequate that season, you must either be forgetful or blind. His confidence was completely shot, and it seemed particularly bad at away games.

He's done really well to subsequently recover.

Through the use of cold, hard, objective stats, WhoScored gave him in average rating of 6.95 in 17/18.

Which too suggests that he was fine. 

I listened to the podcast yesterday and at times it was a tough listen. I don't think Thorne came across poorly at all; a little blunt and to the point at times, but this is what people want to hear. Not the media trained version that's diluted down it's barely the truth and just a bunch of soundbites. 

I'm not a psychiatrist (I am opinionated and believe that I am right most of the time) but I get a sense that he was/is scarred from his early days at West Brom, who made him learn very early that football is a business. I don't believe he ever really got over it. I felt particularly gutted for him when he explained that he had wasted 2 years of a short career due to a clause in a deal that he had no knowledge. The fact Mel had managers' play along with the charade is disappointing - Lampard didn't come out in the best light. Football can be a grim game at times, especially behind the scenes, so I can't say I'm surprised that we're not particularly the best club at handling situations. 

34 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I felt particularly gutted for him when he explained that he had wasted 2 years of a short career due to a clause in a deal that he had no knowledge.

So when was this then? Lots of comments on it but I don't remember it. I remember seeing him for the U23s and a bit with Rowett but tbh he looked nothing like the player we bought pre injury.

I think the thing that is difficult to understand is his constant refusal to play in the U23s/reserves.

To me it seems that if you are a professional footballer you should only refuse to play if you have a genuine concern that doing so will put you at an increased risk of injury - excepting mental health issue of course, but there's no suggestion that this was a factor here. Trying to put myself in that position, I can't imagine refusing to play. Indeed, if you play for the U23s and put on a few good displays, you must surely get yourself closer to either a first team recall or a bid from another Championship level team.

So for me, he came across as a bit of a brat - but it things are seldom so simple. Maybe his 'brattyness' is part of the required competitiveness to be as outstanding as he was when fully fit and in form?

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

particularly gutted for him when he explained that he had wasted 2 years of a short career due to a clause in a deal that he had no knowled

What is/was the clause? 

surely he received a printed copy of his contract? Does he hold his legal advisor(s)/agent to account for whatever it was?