Abu Derby County

tinman

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Wayne is the manager of Derby County. He is loving it. He has got what he wants and is planning to make a really good job of it. Crikey how much must he have learnt from Fergie, Phelan, Kidd and Schteve at United. He laid a marker down by bringing on Macdonald and Whitaker last night. The door is open. He must have learnt from Fergie how to bring young players through. Discipline last night was the key and it proves that the players are responding to Wayne. I for one am excited at who he may bring in at Xmas.

Not sure SM was there at same time. Not sure Fergie bought any decent kids through after Rooney arrived either. ??‍♂️ 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Wayne is the manager of Derby County. He is loving it. He has got what he wants and is planning to make a really good job of it. Crikey how much must he have learnt from Fergie, Phelan, Kidd and Schteve at United. He laid a marker down by bringing on Macdonald and Whitaker last night. The door is open. He must have learnt from Fergie how to bring young players through. Discipline last night was the key and it proves that the players are responding to Wayne. I for one am excited at who he may bring in at Xmas.

Fair point and I get the sentiment but the same could be said about Lamps and lets be honest he did not get it right at the likes of Millwall or Rotherham, let alone the biggest game of that season... Cough Wembley... Cough... Bennett... Cough... lost the game at 2pm.

Only that experience will become apparent in 5/10 years time. 

As for Fergie bringing through the kids, it was only the class of 92 that made it, some might say a lucky academy year, I dont know, but not many names you can name after that era that went of to forge a career at United...

I was against Wayne at first, but 4 games undefeated and more importantly 2 clean sheets, is giving me hope that he may just be able to do something, time will tell as will the takeover when confirmed. 

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Not sure SM was there at same time. Not sure Fergie bought any decent kids through after Rooney arrived either. ??‍♂️ 

There were a number which made a couple of appearances but only a select few who made a contribution. None were ever first choice though.

Evans - 131 PL apps for Man Utd. Over 300 PL apps for all clubs
Welbeck - 92 PL apps for Man Utd. 229 PL apps for all clubs.
Cleverley - 55 PL apps for Man Utd. 214 for all clubs
Gibson - 31 PL apps for Man Utd. 94 for all clubs.
Macheda - 19 PL apps for Man Utd. 22 for all clubs.

Danny Simpson, Chris Eagles, Phil Bardsley, Lee Martin, Rossi, Fraizer Campbell, Kieran Lee, Richard Eckersley, Ben Amos, Zeki Fryers, Will Keane all made the PL debuts under Fergie. Michael Keane also played in the cup.

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There were a number which made a couple of appearances but only a select few who made a contribution. None were ever first choice though.

Evans - 131 PL apps for Man Utd. Over 300 PL apps for all clubs
Welbeck - 92 PL apps for Man Utd. 229 PL apps for all clubs.
Cleverley - 55 PL apps for Man Utd. 214 for all clubs
Gibson - 31 PL apps for Man Utd. 94 for all clubs.
Macheda - 19 PL apps for Man Utd. 22 for all clubs.

Danny Simpson, Chris Eagles, Phil Bardsley, Lee Martin, Rossi, Fraizer Campbell, Kieran Lee, Richard Eckersley, Ben Amos, Zeki Fryers, Will Keane all made the PL debuts under Fergie. Michael Keane also played in the cup.

My point stands, you can list bang average players all you like, they are not worthy of special mental notes in Rooney’s mind. Over 13 or whatever years he had at United, they didn’t produce ONE mainstay in the England team. 

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

My point stands, you can list bang average players all you like, they are not worthy of special mental notes in Rooney’s mind. Over 13 or whatever years he had at United, they didn’t produce ONE mainstay in the England team. 

From Rooney's time at the club now? Rashford's the obvious one. Keane and Welbeck have been regulars in the squad over the years

Why just England though? They scout from all over the globe for their academy.

Pogba - France
Pique - Spain
Januzaj - Belgium
Josh King - Norway
Fletcher - Scotland
Robbie Brady, Marc Wilson and Gibson - R. Ireland
Paddy McNair, Norwood, Jonny Evans and Corry Evans- N. Ireland
Lawrence - Wales

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Generally agree with you with the exception of Johnny Evans who has matured into a very good player, and someone I’m sure they wish they still had. The rest of them though I’d agree are bang average. That said if Will Hughes or Jeff Hendrick (broadly considered to be our biggest academy successes) were on that list and weren’t associated with us they’d be in the bang average category so I guess it’ matter perspective and expectation of the size and position of your club.

8 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Half a dozen eh? I guess that proves we’re the laughing stock of the nation.

Has it occurred to you that they’re only talking about it because they know you’re a Derby fan whereas for most it’s probably not on their radar and never will be to any great extent until/unless it does happen and the money makes a significant difference to our league status?

Maybe you are right but the whole situation is very strange indeed

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

From Rooney's time at the club now? Rashford's the obvious one. Keane and Welbeck have been regulars in the squad over the years

Why just England though? They scout from all over the globe for their academy.

Pogba - France
Pique - Spain
Januzaj - Belgium
Josh King - Norway
Fletcher - Scotland
Robbie Brady, Marc Wilson and Gibson - R. Ireland
Paddy McNair, Norwood, Jonny Evans and Corry Evans- N. Ireland
Lawrence - Wales

How many of that list will Rooney look at and think “wow, inspiring to bring those through, I must emulate SAF in bringing through youth players!”??

Im not saying players didn’t come through ffs, learn to grasp context! I’m saying that the suggestion Rooney is stood on the training ground dripping with inspired optimism, based on the awesome kids Ferguson bought through at United, whilst Rooney was there, is utter baalocks. End of...

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

How many of that list will Rooney look at and think “wow, inspiring to bring those through, I must emulate SAF in bringing through youth players!”??

Im not saying players didn’t come through ffs, learn to grasp context! I’m saying that the suggestion Rooney is stood on the training ground dripping with inspired optimism, based on the awesome kids Ferguson bought through at United, whilst Rooney was there, is utter baalocks. End of...

The squad in his first season included the Neville brothers, Wes Brown, Giggs, Scholes, O'Shea, Richardson, Fletcher, Pique, Jonathan Spector, David Jones, Chris Eagles, Ebanks-Blake, Rossi. 14 of the 32 players used that season (all competitions) were academy graduates.

In Rooney's final season, 16/17: Pogba, Lingard, Rashford, Fosu-Mensah, Demetri Mitchell, Tuanzebe, McTominay, Joel Pereira, Harrop, Angel Gomes. 10 of the 32 players used in all competitions.

A season randomly picked from the middle of his spell, 10/11: Gary Neville, Wes Brown, Giggs, Scholes, Fabio, Rafael, O'Shea, Evans, Fletcher, Macheda, Gibson, Amos, Ravel Morrison. 13 of the 32 players used in all competitions.

It's ingrained in the culture up there that youth players will get a chance if they work hard enough.

Also, with them losing Pique and Pogba on frees due to a lack of playing time, Rooney will have noted not to make the same mistake with the club's most promising prospects.

47 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

If you look at the period Rooney was a United player, 2004-17, there really weren't many academy graduates who established themselves in the Premier League top 6 sides. Harry Kane and Marcus Rashford spring to mind, but even then that was towards the tail end. Other than them I can't think of many more who are top, top players. Jack Wilshere could have been if he wasn't destroyed by injuries.

I think that was a period where the top sides would almost exclusively spend on players from other clubs and foreign imports. It's only been more recently where there's been a greater emphasis on producing home-grown players, and the international team has seen the rewards of that.

5 minutes ago, Justa said:

Is it time to close this thread yet ? If this was a transfer thread it would be dead...

Where you not a member during the days we signed George Thorne? ?

20 hours ago, Silko said:

This is getting beyond a joke will someone please tell us what the duck is going on .... either confirm it’s definitely happening or let us know if we are going the way of Wigan and Sunderland into league 1 obscurity stop bloody telling us the deal should be wrapped up in a couple of days you’re just taking the piss now .... is Cocu doing the negotiations ?

so.... couple of questions...

lets just say it doesnt happen.... why would that ever mean we are going to league 1 obscurity..? 

why do the club have to tell anyone anything..? It is a private business deal.

When has Derby County Football Club said it will be done in a couple of days?

2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

so.... couple of questions...

lets just say it doesnt happen.... why would that ever mean we are going to league 1 obscurity..? 

why do the club have to tell anyone anything..? It is a private business deal.

When has Derby County Football Club said it will be done in a couple of days?

1. Not necessarily, but it's going to be GSE shoestring budget levels until Mel gets sold up.

2. No, they don't have to, but it'd probably be good manners of them to and it'd probably get round the papers sooner or later.

3. Not officially ever said that, although various noise and inferences have been made by journalist and Rooney said "pretty soon" (or something to that extent) once in a post match.

48hrs is, as I'm sure you well remember, a running forum joke after the Lampard to Chelsea departure.

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

1. Not necessarily, but it's going to be GSE shoestring budget levels until Mel gets sold up.

2. No, they don't have to, but it'd probably be good manners of them to and it'd probably get round the papers sooner or later.

3. Not officially ever said that, although various noise and inferences have been made by journalist and Rooney said "pretty soon" (or something to that extent) once in a post match.

48hrs is, as I'm sure you well remember, a running forum joke after the Lampard to Chelsea departure.

1.Survive on a shoestring....? i dont buy it.... we are being told week after week that we have the best academy in the galaxy pumping out world class kids every couple of weeks, we just sell off a couple every year and pump the money back into the club....some would argue (myself included) that they would much prefer this model of self sufficiency than to get a bunch of dirty money from who knows where..

2.Its big buisness, not the local craft honey making bearded dude selling 5 jars at a local craft fair every week.

3.Journalists.......they have never been known just to make stuff up have they..?

Lampard.... who is he? never heard of the fellow...! ha ha

Archived