Abu Derby County

tinman

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah because there was lots of bad press against the Co-op Bank and their so-called 'ethical' status. Think someone might evan have graffiti'd the bank in Derby? Or have I miss remembered...

Glued the doors shut, according to the book.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wollatonram said:

I think it would be naive not to scrutinise, and those in positions where they can give scrutiny should too. 

It is massively important how wealthy they are, if they are skint or are not willing to fund the club then you are looking at a disaster.

People will call me negative about this but my negativity comes from worry. You have to scrutinise these things and I hope the EFL do too, and not just take this as an opportunity to get rid of Mel.

The EFL have approved too many dodgy takeovers in the last few years, so many clubs have owners that don’t put any money into a club & are losing money.

Wigan, Bury, Charlton, Oldham, Morecambe, I am sure there is more. 

Macclesfield.

15 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The proof, as always, will be in the pudding.

We will never know the guy's full wealth as these types of things are shrouded in deep secrecy and where his money probably is, Dubai, will most certainly be undisclosed. 

Worst case scenario, the club folds and we're tasked with setting up our own offshoot club: Derby City. Mel takes the reigns again with McClaren in charge and within 10 years we're back losing play-off finals in the Championship. It's destiny.  

Isn't that who Bradley Johnson signed for a few years back?

12 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Tony Pulis?

I'm very far from a football purist, but that one doesn't make me lose any sleep.

Agree but he would get us out of this mess and stable us. I’d give him until the end of the season, but he would probably want a longer contract.

11 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Tony Pulis?

I'm very far from a football purist, but that one doesn't make me lose any sleep.

Knows the division, gets teams playing for him. Plays to strengths. What makes me laugh reading social media and elsewhere is that we think we’re above all that kind of manager.

Time for the majority of Derby fans to wake up and realise we are an average football club that needs galvanising from top to bottom.

Blokes like him would fit here. It’s snobby to think otherwise. 

31 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The proof, as always, will be in the pudding.

We will never know the guy's full wealth as these types of things are shrouded in deep secrecy and where his money probably is, Dubai, will most certainly be undisclosed. 

Worst case scenario, the club folds and we're tasked with setting up our own offshoot club: Derby City. Mel takes the reigns again with McClaren in charge and within 10 years we're back losing play-off finals in the Championship. It's destiny.  

Could resign Bradley Johnson!

8 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Knows the division, gets teams playing for him. Plays to strengths. What makes me laugh reading social media and elsewhere is that we think we’re above all that kind of manager.

Time for the majority of Derby fans to wake up and realise we are an average football club that needs galvanising from top to bottom.

Blokes like him would fit here. It’s snobby to think otherwise. 

Actually, I do think you make a really good point. I'm not a Pulis fan and I don't think we've got the players to play his style. But I see people turning their noses up at Allardyce and until recently Hughton - if Warnock was free he'd be getting the same reaction. In reality, we'll be amazingly lucky to attract a manager of that calibre. 

1 hour ago, one_chop said:

If this takeover does go through and when fans are allowed back into Pride Park can we not ridicule ourselves like the Red Dogs and turn up in Arab headress and inflatable Camels please. 

Absolutely not.

We will wait for the owners to leave us sheep masks on the seats for a televised game like the Yanks did........?

4 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Apart from when Pickering sold us to the Amigos.

image.gif.96d0ad29cc231124b44bbd3f477168b4.gif

The co-op effectively liquidated Pickerings investment in the club

They then sold the club to the three amigos for £3, the amigos raised £15 million for the running of the club by borrowing from a Panama based company with a 10% interest rate!

Of that 15 million, 10 million was taken by the co-op and the other 5 was taken by Lombard!

1 hour ago, Ken Tram said:

Would recent results on the pitch make a difference to the price?

If I were buying a house, and after having an offer accepted, a survey showed extensive rot that needed replacing, I might revise my offer.

Say if the valuation is £60m, and the fella realises that he'll need to spend an unexpected £12m on new players (fixing the property), which works out at 20%, could that be a point of negotiation?

Or, are minor changes to league position just noise?

(But, in real-time, the odds of relegation have increased, and that must affect the valuation? Or not!)

Has anyone ever bought anything worth £60m, and know how it works?

(PS. In my case, the survey identified work being needed on the roof, but the seller declined to accept a lower offer!)

In my experience (not £60m but in the 10s of millions) That is exactly how it worked. The original offer was in a letter of intent LOI

We then reduced the offer when we discovered that a key customer had jumped ship (to us as it happened) 

At this point the original owner pulled out of the sale as he felt our reduction was too big.

in all honesty I think he was kidding himself and still getting a good deal. 
He sold it two years later for less than our adjusted value. To be fair we were competitors and I am not sure his heart was really in it.

Point is the LOI and initial offer is a starting point

2 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Mel only thinks of what's best for Mel

Let's be honest about that!

I knew my comments would be divisive and controversial.  However, like everyone else in similar circumstances, Mel wants what's the best deal for himself, regardless as to whether that deal is best for the club

He is desperate to get out from what i can glean from various comments and articles I have read.

Can't blame him for wanting out though

Would have thought the Prem League bail out package will be incoming shortly, as according to BBC , 10 Championship clubs are struggling to pay wages this month. Will the amount given to each club be dependent on their financial health ? If so I can see the deal going through after the Prem money arrives ???

6 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I knew my comments would be divisive and controversial.  However, like everyone else in similar circumstances, Mel wants what's the best deal for himself, regardless as to whether that deal is best for the club

He is desperate to get out from what i can glean from various comments and articles I have read.

Can't blame him for wanting out though

I like to think that Mel would do the best for the club but you look at the situation we are heading towards, can mel really afford for this takeover to fall through? 

Archived