Jeff Hendrick

ariotofmyown

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hendrick is leaving Burnley. I'm genuinely interested to see where he ends up, I've never been his biggest fan. He has his moments, but far too prone to go through a 90 minute game without being seen. He's now had a pretty full career without any consistent substance to his game - 50 appearances and 2 goals for his country, 122 Premier League games with 9 goals and 5 assists. It's not the best. 

AC Milan have been mentioned, which would be great for him, but I can't imagine it would go too well. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Hendrick is leaving Burnley. I'm genuinely interested to see where he ends up, I've never been his biggest fan. He has his moments, but far too prone to go through a 90 minute game without being seen. He's now had a pretty full career without any consistent substance to his game - 50 appearances and 2 goals for his country, 122 Premier League games with 9 goals and 5 assists. It's not the best. 

AC Milan have been mentioned, which would be great for him, but I can't imagine it would go too well. 

I've always felt like the Italian league has a larger proportion of talented players who go missing regularly than other leagues. Might be perfect for him if I'm right in that observation

3 hours ago, Ambitious said:

He's now had a pretty full career without any consistent substance to his game - 50 appearances and 2 goals for his country, 122 Premier League games with 9 goals and 5 assists. It's not the best. 

Burnley fans seem quite disappointed that he's gone. Would you knock Will Hughes for having worse stats than that?

I think Hendrick has had an excellent career that many would dream of. None more so than playing a vital part in Ireland getting to the knockout stages of Euro 2016, beating Italy along the way (with his childhood best mate scoring the winner!).

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I think Hendrick has had an excellent career that many would dream of. None more so than playing a vital part in Ireland getting to the knockout stages of Euro 2016, beating Italy along the way (with his childhood best mate scoring the winner!).

Surely this is the highlight of his career

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Burnley fans seem quite disappointed that he's gone. Would you knock Will Hughes for having worse stats than that?

Both simply don't get to be the flair player's they are due to the teams they play for. If either played for a team in the top 6, they'd fulfill their potential. But both have shown they are more than good enough at that level. 

I'd have both back. Especially Jeff right now. Maybe we'll have a cheeky punt. Offer an inticing promotion clause ??

9 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Both simply don't get to be the flair player's they are due to the teams they play for. If either played for a team in the top 6, they'd fulfill their potential. But both have shown they are more than good enough at that level. 

Watching Watfud now, that was just what I was thinking. He's so much better than he's being allowed to show.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Watching Watfud now, that was just what I was thinking. He's so much better than he's being allowed to show.

Always has been. Even with us. Sacrifices personal prowess for helping the team. A shame really, kind of player you should allow a free role, especially because he'd still help the team out, versus some flair player's who couldn't care less. 

8 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I have done, consistently, since he turned 18. He came through as an attacking midfielder who struggled to create goals or score goals. I said the best chance he had of making it was moving to a deep lying role, which he has, so he's managed to forge himself a career at the top level. Hughes is an exceptional footballer, always has been, but he had little to no edge to his game. 9 goals in 165 Championship matches - Sibley has 4 in 3 for comparison. Hughes was used as our most attacking midfielder for a lot of his time here too. 

Hendrick didn't have that ability. He wasn't even close to having the ability Hughes had. Hendrick is absolutely a Championship level footballer. 

I have fond memories of both, but Hughes was extremely talented who struggled to get the numbers and Hendrick was a passenger most of the time who would does something that sticks in the memory. Hendrick has been that player for Burnley too - 2 goals, 2 assists in 24 starts, little to no defensive contribution, doesn't create a great deal of chances, gives the ball away a little too often. 

On 25/06/2020 at 19:36, RoyMac5 said:

Funny it’s been mentioned, I’ve just watched my second Watford game in succession. Our Will (because he’s still in our hearts), has been subbed both games and seemed to be running around a lot, without too much impact. It sort of reminded me when he played for us in games we were struggling.

Couldnt make my mind up whether he’s being dragged down by a poor team, tactical set up or maybe pains me to say, he’s gone off the boil a little? Since for the odd decent pass or tackle, a lot seemed to bypass him against Burnley and Southampton. 

Only watched both games because of Will and was left a bit disappointed for him.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, David said:

I'd love to know what he's earning. I can't see Newcastle fans putting up with his Houdini impression for too long. 

Last season, he played 24 times for Burnley. He had two goals and two assists to his name. He averaged less than 25 passes a game. He barely made a tackle or had an interception and still made more of them than he did create chances. 

A perfect example of a midfield passenger. 

12 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I'd love to know what he's earning. I can't see Newcastle fans putting up with his Houdini impression for too long. 

Last season, he played 24 times for Burnley. He had two goals and two assists to his name. He averaged less than 25 passes a game. He barely made a tackle or had an interception and still made more of them than he did create chances. 

A perfect example of a midfield passenger. 

Don't just have to look at last season.

In 4 seasons at Burnley he's managed 9 goals and 5 assists. Hasn't averaged 1 a game of ANY defensive contribution (on an extremely defensive team). Has averaged one Key Pass every two games, and 24.6 normal passes a game. 

In WhoScored rating terms, he's not managed a 6.6 in his time in the prem; which I observe to generally be about their average.

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Don't just have to look at last season.

In 4 seasons at Burnley he's managed 9 goals and 5 assists. Hasn't averaged 1 a game of ANY defensive contribution (on an extremely defensive team). Has averaged one Key Pass every two games, and 24.6 normal passes a game. 

In WhoScored rating terms, he's not managed a 6.6 in his time in the prem; which I observe to generally be about their average.

It's really outstanding work to have such a minimal impact on a game and still play at the highest level. I guess you could call me old fashioned, but I like it when my midfielders do something - anything. 

• 3 weeks later...