Sack cocu

dantheram

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

But he did a bad job, he deserved to be sacked

I’m not sure he did. The manager is unfortunately the one that takes the flack, but Mel has made lots and lots of bad decisions prior to appointing Cocu. He was dealt a load of crap from day one.

8 minutes ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

I’m not sure he did. The manager is unfortunately the one that takes the flack, but Mel has made lots and lots of bad decisions prior to appointing Cocu. He was dealt a load of crap from day one.

This is true, he isn't only to blame. Mel should have sold up after the playoff final, this whole regime he set out for cocu has been a disaster. Although, he should have done better with this team. We're sat rock bottom of the championship, the football has been dire. His position was untenable.

10 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

This is true, he isn't only to blame. Mel should have sold up after the playoff final, this whole regime he set out for cocu has been a disaster. Although, he should have done better with this team. We're sat rock bottom of the championship, the football has been dire. His position was untenable.

I do think he would have turned it around but appreciate that it’s a results business.

Mel should never have appointed Cocu if he wasn’t committed himself. He’s basically sold his ‘Derby Way’ rubbish to a young manager who shared his way of thinking.

Then Rooney became available and everything that was sold to Cocu went out the window. You don’t give someone a four year contract to build and then give him a big name like Rooney.

Mel isn’t great for the club. He’s done some good things but he sells a project that he isn’t prepared to see through.

So ok. Cocu has left. But I don’t want to hear anything more about the ‘Derby Way’, projects, bringing through academy players, etc. We have to go up and we have to go up in style (back to spending) otherwise we’ll just keep changing every 18 months.

5 minutes ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

I do think he would have turned it around but appreciate that it’s a results business.

Mel should never have appointed Cocu if he wasn’t committed himself. He’s basically sold his ‘Derby Way’ rubbish to a young manager who shared his way of thinking.

Then Rooney became available and everything that was sold to Cocu went out the window. You don’t give someone a four year contract to build and then give him a big name like Rooney.

Mel isn’t great for the club. He’s done some good things but he sells a project that he isn’t prepared to see through.

So ok. Cocu has left. But I don’t want to hear anything more about the ‘Derby Way’, projects, bringing through academy players, etc. We have to go up and we have to go up in style (back to spending) otherwise we’ll just keep changing every 18 months.

Weird post. Mel has actually been very patient with Cocu, more so with Cocu than any other manager in his tenure. You're calling him short term, but he's been so much better recently. I accept you could call him that up to 2017. Since then, he's fired just Cocu. And even that could have been a request of the new owner. For Cocu not succeeding, I'd sooner blame the players than I would Mel. He backed him how he could, and gave him time.  

45 minutes ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

One win in 11 

5 goals is it ? 6 ?

im sorry just not good enough no matter what reasoning there is 

u can even go back further into end of last season if u wish 

29 minutes ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

I'm half cut and I still find your post totally random and bizarre. Maybe it will make sense in the morning. Who knows. 

On 14/11/2020 at 20:30, MackworthRamIsGod said:

In a nutshell, Cocu was a world class player and proved at PSV he was a world class manager.

He came to Derby and we gave him absolute poo to work with, it cant be overstated just how absolutely awfully our 'recruitment team' operated while he was here.

Phil has a style, 1 way of playing, the fact Mel recruited him knowing this and then giving him Hamer, Dowell and Paterson is absolutely laughable.

I believe Cocu could have turned it around give a season or 2, but a core of players have clearly not bought into his style of play and I honestly dont think he could do anything now and relegation beckoned. 

Phil is a good manager and will go and get a job in Holland and prove himself again, unfortunately he inherited an absolute car crash of a club (literally).

The absolute icing on the turd cake will be if we give the job to Shrek, it would prove there was some underhand tactics at play in the background.

I can't believe how you can be this shortsighted! Such faith in someone who has shown little ability to build a team to challenge in the Championship defies belief! Any manager who is so intransigent to only have one style of play and not adapt is not worthy of a position to manage! Lets see who takes a gamble on him in the future, maybe it will be in Holland where there is very little stiff competition other than the usual suspects.

If you think the set up at Derby equates to a car crash, then we won't be able to recruit snyone of merit, which I doubt!

Enjoy your jaundiced view, I know which I prefer!

We have so far replaced Cocu and his Dutch crew with Rooney, Given and Rosenior, all of whom have received sharp criticism on here. 

If Rooney isn't part of the new permanent management team he will be off and I suspect we might need to shell out a few more quid. 

It's like we buy a new sports car, drive it out of the forecourt, smash it into a wall then go back to the garage and buy a new one, over and over again. 

7 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

We have so far replaced Cocu and his Dutch crew with Rooney, Given and Rosenior, all of whom have received sharp criticism on here. 

If Rooney isn't part of the new permanent management team he will be off and I suspect we might need to shell out a few more quid. 

It's like we buy a new sports car, drive it out of the forecourt, smash it into a wall then go back to the garage and buy a new one, over and over again. 

Isn’t Rooney on a playing contract until the summer? I don’t see what’s changed in regards to that. Even if a new manager comes in and doesn’t want Rooney to have any input (which is highly unlikely) then I’d still expect him to be our player until the summer. 

22 minutes ago, Mckram said:

Isn’t Rooney on a playing contract until the summer? I don’t see what’s changed in regards to that. Even if a new manager comes in and doesn’t want Rooney to have any input (which is highly unlikely) then I’d still expect him to be our player until the summer. 

I think Rooney has enough self-awareness to know that time has caught up with him as far as his playing career is concerned. 

Being on the pitch with 'the lads' will have given him excellent insight into their capabilities. 

I get the impression he wants to start the next phase of his career and be judged in a different capacity. 

If he doesn't get a full-time job in some type of managerial role, I don't think he will waste time trying to justify a place in a struggling championship team. 

All opinion and conjecture of course! 

The perception was that Cocu abandoned his policy of playing the youths this season.
Last season 24.84% of the minutes in the league (excluding additional time) were played by acadamy graduates (which includes Huddlestone, but excludes Roos and Trialist).
So far this season, the figure is 22.96%. Not a big difference and would still put us 3rd last season (behind Forest and Blackburn). It's also worth noting that at the same point last season, our percentage was lower, only only really got above 20% when Bird was introduced to the team.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The perception was that Cocu abandoned his policy of playing the youths this season.
Last season 24.84% of the minutes in the league (excluding additional time) were played by acadamy graduates (which includes Huddlestone, but excludes Roos and Trialist).
So far this season, the figure is 22.96%. Not a big difference and would still put us 3rd last season (behind Forest and Blackburn). It's also worth noting that at the same point last season, our percentage was lower, only only really got above 20% when Bird was introduced to the team.

It could be argued that there was more opportunity to play the youngsters this year.

no huddlestone, no Marriott, no Martin, no Jozefzoon, no malone.

no midfield loans, no fit strikers. 

But whittaker, and Sibley faded from the scene. 

On 14/11/2020 at 23:15, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

Good post, one which deserved more respect.

Essentially if the plan is to consolidate, asset strip and promote from the academy then the Rooney deal in its current form doesn’t make a lot of sense.

This has supposedly been the plan since the Rowett days but has been flip flopped on somany times.

33 minutes ago, RamNut said:

It could be argued that there was more opportunity to play the youngsters this year.

no huddlestone, no Marriott, no Martin, no Jozefzoon, no malone.

no midfield loans, no fit strikers. 

But whittaker, and Sibley faded from the scene. 

Exclude Huddlestone from last season and we're (marginally) ahead.
I agree, they certainly could have played more this season (Whittaker in particular got dropped after putting in some good performances), but we definitely haven't abandoned the youth policy as many felt we did.

Buchanan has replaced Bogle's contribution; Knight has replaced the contribution of himself and Lowe; Bird is roughly equal to last season; Whittaker and Sibley have also improved on their contribution from last season.

Hopefully the new guy lasts the full season, would get embarrassing to have 3 managers this season. If we are bottom 3 with about 12 games to go then maybe we would bring in a Sam Allardyce type to try and keep us in the division, hopefully it doesn't get to that stage but if we are relegated or stay bottom for a long time the new manager maybe lucky to be here this time next year. 

Why all the Mel Morris bashing people, he’s done what he’s thought best and that now doesn’t seem good enough ??????

Yes it’s not turned out how we all would’ve liked, but if MM has got the Abu Dhabi money rolling in following his ownership surely he will leave us financially in a far improved position. 
Is it simply because Cocu has agreed to leave, Keogh is no longer here so let’s smash into Mel instead. I despair ????????

13 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Why all the Mel Morris bashing people, he’s done what he’s thought best and that now doesn’t seem good enough ??????

Yes it’s not turned out how we all would’ve liked, but if MM has got the Abu Dhabi money rolling in following his ownership surely he will leave us financially in a far improved position. 
Is it simply because Cocu has agreed to leave, Keogh is no longer here so let’s smash into Mel instead. I despair ????????

Good post ? ...for me it's the word IF .... IF Abu Dhabi money does come in  and is spent on players   the likes of COCU , KEOGH , LAMPARD ,  plus to many to mention..will become a distant memory 

31 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

I think some fans have legitimate concerns about the situation we are in and how we’ve got there over the long term, Mel doesn’t get a free pass because he kept throwing money about. I don’t think he’s been thrown under the bus and it’s part of the discussion that poor decisions have been made.

This isn’t about having a new scapegoat, it’s about the position the club finds itself in on and off the pitch.

there’s an article in the athletic today where they have done some digging around the club since the weekend - it mentions that 

- removing cocu from the position was a current board decision with the new investors blessing. 

- cocu was well liked and respected but he struggled to motivate the players especially when we were in losing positions or during difficult spells. But like it says he was well liked to the bitter end and the players and staff liked how dignified he always was. 

- the players found his tactics confusing - duno if that says more about him or the players but explains performances 

- Rooney wants to put his name in the hat for the permanent job but remains to be seen if the new investors want to go down that route. 

Archived