Curtis Davies

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

A moment of appreciation for the man mountain today.

Our best player under Rowett, written off ever since.

Mr reliable. Can't spray it about like Tomori, but the man can bloody defend.

What a bloke.

Head and shoulders above our other defenders today. Match saving performance. I got used to us routinely heading the ball away for first time in years.

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

A moment of appreciation for the man mountain today.

Our best player under Rowett, written off ever since.

Mr reliable. Can't spray it about like Tomori, but the man can bloody defend.

What a bloke.

Great post mate, yes he was great today, in fact in a 3 man defence I think it would suit him, also thought Clarte was good today as well, would like to keep with the 3 man defence, and try and get an attacking left back in, in the same mould as Bryne, who also had a good game today, upwards and onwards now mate. 

In a 3 at the back I think he is excellent because the obvious deficiencies he has are hidden. 

As much as I want him to work in a 4, I would worry it would leave his partner with too much to do on the ball. It’s a shame because he is the best out and out defender at the club and has been since he signed. There is definitely still a role for him at the club though, as he showed today. 

I love the bloke but thought he was done based on his style and his lack of pace.  Hold my hands up, thought it was an odd move to bring him in today, particularly given the opposition.  Thought he'd be a useful sub against direct teams, that's it. Very happy to hear I was wrong.

I don’t think anybody 25 or under will have seen a better pure defender for Derby (we were, at most, one for McGrath and five for West). 

Barker and Shackell were top Championship centre-halves and he’s an amalgamation of all of their best bits.

He’s been in England squads and I can’t believe he never got a cap.

44 minutes ago, nottingram said:

In a 3 at the back I think he is excellent because the obvious deficiencies he has are hidden. 

As much as I want him to work in a 4, I would worry it would leave his partner with too much to do on the ball. It’s a shame because he is the best out and out defender at the club and has been since he signed. There is definitely still a role for him at the club though, as he showed today. 

Agreed.  I also think he brings some good organisation and leadership to the defence.

His radio Derby interview was revealing, to a degree. Wanted to express his views but as he's not been one of those playing he didn't feel it was his place (it's not the way he goes about things) and that the team meeting was the perfect place for him to air those views. All very respectfully said of course but you could see he'd been itching to get his chance (on and off-field)

Talked a lot about having communicators on the pitch, constantly guiding the team on what to do and giving little reminders to people throughout, the on-field management which (my words) can really only come from other players, not from the touchline. 

Is that a criticism of the manager? I guess it is, but let's temper that with some balance and say that I think there's been an element of pressure on Cocu to include the youth players which  maybe has blindsided him, at times, to the benefits of players like Davies.  (Although he regularly talks of the importance of such players)

It's also one of those situations though where some fans have dismissed the impact of us missing Waghorn.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Did what he was paid to do today.  Always in the right place to clear the ball.  Excellent performance ?

Had him as my MotM initially but then gave it to Marshall for 2 match winning saves.

Both saved the game for us

I think he got three round pegs in three round holes this time.
previously he used Evans as sweeper, but Evans is the least experienced defender.

this time davies was able to marshall the other two.

clarke is comfortable on the left

evans is comfortable on the right - just needs direction.

We Just had to sit deep due to our lack of pace 

Fantastic performance today, given how little football he’s played. The man just knows how to do all the basics - he always puts himself in the right place at the right time, he wins his headers, and he makes the clearances he needs to make. 

To be fair, I don’t think he was ever “written off” entirely. It was more that he didn’t seem to suit the playing out the back style that we wanted to implement. It’s not even that he’s a poor passer, I don’t actually think he is, he just a bit slow while doing it. That’s why we’ve needed players like Wisdom, to keep the tempo up. But none of those players are even in the same league as big Curt in terms of pure defending. He’s the best defender we’ve had in my lifetime in that regard, and by a country mile too. I don’t think I’ve ever had as much trust in a defender as I did in Davies during that one Rowett season. How he didn’t win POTY that year I’ll never know, at times he was so unbeatable it was actually getting ridiculous.

Today was one of those days where we needed that defensive man mountain more than anything else. Even now, at 35, Davies is still one of the best old fashioned defenders in the league. Sometimes, in tricky games like today, the best way to get a result is just to focus on getting the basics right, and not worry so much about playing good football. That’s exactly what we did today, and Curtis played a vital part in that. He’s such a top bloke as well, intelligent, speaks well - the sort of character every team wants in the dressing room. The leadership that he brings to the team when we’re in a rut like we have been recently is under appreciated as well. Said before the game that I thought bringing Davies in to try and get the defence more organised was a good idea, and he definitely vindicated Cocu’s decision with his performance.

Archived