Is our defence any better than midtable standard?

Marriot Ram99

I have heard some people claim that although we don't have a good attack as of yet, we have a good defence to build from and we should be hard to beat this season. Personally, I can't agree with that on yesterday's evidence and from what I saw of Forsyth/Buchanan last season. 

Marshall and Byrne are good signings so I can't complain about that part of the defence but the rest of it I'm not convinced with. The goals we conceded yesterday were absolutely shocking, it's alright bringing in attackers but personally I'm not too sure our defence is good enough for a top 6 finish either. 

Despite the new signings we still cant defend balls into the box or long punts down the pitch, and I don't think Clarke or Te weirk have much pace as a partnership. I had high hopes for Te Werik but he seems very slow and not very good physically so I'm not sure if he is what we need. It's early days, but at times first impressions are telling.

We have Wisdom who can play Center back but he is not an orthodox centre back who is good in the air, so I wouldn't want him to play too many games the same with Evans. Forsyth is too pedestrian these days and Buchanan is young and a bit naive with his defending. 

All in all apart from having a good right back and two good keepers for this level, I don't see our defence as a strength and it looks weaker to me than the defence we had under Rowett and Lampard. I hope I'm wrong on Te weirk but my first impressions are that he's a championship John Stones, good on the ball but pretty mediocre defensively and not strong and physical enough. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little concerned myself.

Marshall and Byrne are great signings, especially in our financial state.

I'm a big Wisdom fan but I prefer him in central defence. He didn't look fit yesterday.

TeWierik doesn't seem powerful enough or that good on the ball but we/I have to give him more time to settle in.

Clarke is certainly good enough. Player of the year etc. He makes the odd mistake, usually not picking up whoever he's marking but all players make mistakes, look at Van Dyke gifting that bamford Bamford yesterday.

I love the guy. He deserves huge credit for overcoming his injuries but I'm afraid Forsyth is no longer up to it, not at full back and certainly not in central defence.

Buchanan - like several in the team - lots of potential but not yet experienced enough to give consistent performances every week. Responsible for a few giveaway goals at the end of last season.

I'd feel happier if we could get a Byrne-like bargain at left back.

That all said, this is the championship so I do think, overall, they are top half quality.

3 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

Welcome to Derby Mike Te Wierik!!

Written off after one championship match.

Lasted longer than Dowell who was written off before he played in the Rams Fans Crapometer.

To be honest, he didn't do much to change opinion when he played and he had plenty of game time, unlike Paterson who looked ok when played correctly and didn't get much chance.

4 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

To be honest, he didn't do much to change opinion when he played and he had plenty of game time, unlike Paterson who looked ok when played correctly and didn't get much chance.

Yep.

Just think one league game is a bit too soon to assess MTW. The Championship is a pig of a league and will take some time to adjust to.

I will trust Cocu’s judgement on this as I knew nothing of MTW prior to him joining.

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I predicted a 15th place finish for the Rams. I think most aspects of the team are mid table quality....

I think that's realistic unless we sign a quality striker to go with an extra winger, but I feel that Cocu may be sacked if we are in the bottom half in 2021 and go on a poor run and people won't accept bottom half. 

Last season 62 scored was better than Millwall, Forest, and preston who all finished above us; equal with Swansea (6th) and only 2 behind Fulham (4th). However 64 conceded was comfortably worse than any others in the top 10 and that was with two holding players to supposedly form a defensive shield. 

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Last season 62 scored was better than Millwall, Forest, and preston who all finished above us; equal with Swansea (6th) and only 2 behind Fulham (4th). However 64 conceded was comfortably worse than any others in the top 10 and that was with two holding players to supposedly form a defensive shield. 

Good point there, we have been porous.  My view was that with a threat up front the defence would be under less pressure.  Now I am starting to doubt that given your comments

I think the individual quality in defence is ok personally. Don’t think the level of quality needed to reach top 6 is as high as some make out, our backline has enough about it to compete at that level. It’s not perfect obviously - I’m not convinced by our right back options, Marshall is ageing and Buchanan is still unproven. Those are improvements we’d need to make at some point in order to challenge for the top two. But we can’t do it all in one window, and I think with the business we’ve done in defence this summer, we should be solid enough to mount a top 6 challenge. The only issue defensively now is making sure we set up correctly and pick the right personnel - which I don’t think we did at the weekend. 

The glaringly obvious weakness in our squad at the moment is the attack. It’s bottom half quality at the moment with the options we currently have available, so it’s no wonder we’re struggling for goals. We desperately need a winger and a striker in soon.

Its about team mentality. Our problem, certainly at the back end of last season, is we let the best player dictate the team play, instead of the team play dictate the player. We were deep and defensive, basically dropping our gun and bullets and raising our shield. 

If we play to win, and i mean actually be offensive and attacking, we will win. Otherwise, every area of our team will look week. 

1 hour ago, Van Rammeister said:

Lasted longer than Dowell who was written off before he played in the Rams Fans Crapometer.

Yeah. I plead guilty of judging too soon. Sorry Mike.

It was first impressions and I did say I need to give him time to settle in.

It’s too soon to judge.

These players haven’t had enough game time together. You can’t just become a tight defensive unit overnight.

You need partnerships, understanding and communication.

Let’s revisit this post in December when Marshall and Byrne have settled in and Te Wierik and Clarke have had a run of games together.

36 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I think the individual quality in defence is ok personally. Don’t think the level of quality needed to reach top 6 is as high as some make out, our backline has enough about it to compete at that level. It’s not perfect obviously - I’m not convinced by our right back options, Marshall is ageing and Buchanan is still unproven. Those are improvements we’d need to make at some point in order to challenge for the top two. But we can’t do it all in one window, and I think with the business we’ve done in defence this summer, we should be solid enough to mount a top 6 challenge. The only issue defensively now is making sure we set up correctly and pick the right personnel - which I don’t think we did at the weekend. 

The glaringly obvious weakness in our squad at the moment is the attack. It’s bottom half quality at the moment with the options we currently have available, so it’s no wonder we’re struggling for goals. We desperately need a winger and a striker in soon.

I think we need a creative midfielder as well....

27 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Our defensive organisation seems poor and individuals make wrong calls.

Yesterday we concede....

1. Training ground corner where Wisdom lost the runner and then Knight took up a poor position on the post.

2. Once MTW managed to hold up Joao, wisdom ran in behind him into cb to double up, rather than holding his position at rb. Poor decision. 

But if they are to improve at the drills, we have to keep them settled and already the calls are being made for changes.

2 hours ago, Van Rammeister said:

Tomori was written off after his debut in the 4-1 drubbing by Leeds. Amazing really

Archived