Is our defence any better than midtable standard?

Marriot Ram99

7 minutes ago, Sean said:

Tomori was written off after his debut in the 4-1 drubbing by Leeds. Amazing really

Not sure that he was. If memory serves, most commented that Tomori was the one shining light in that performance.

Going back to the original post, I kinda agree. Obviously way to early to judge MTW, but he is built like Mo Farah. Hopefully he is not bullied by championship fodder. Way too early yet and time to improve though. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Our defensive organisation seems poor and individuals make wrong calls.

Yesterday we concede....

1. Training ground corner where Wisdom lost the runner and then Knight took up a poor position on the post.

2. Once MTW managed to hold up Joao, wisdom ran in behind him into cb to double up, rather than holding his position at rb. Poor decision. 

But if they are to improve at the drills, we have to keep them settled and already the calls are being made for changes.

This is what worries me. It’s pretty basic errors that are costing us, and you have to think the individuals involved should know better than to make the mistakes they are doing. And as I said in another thread, it seems to be the same errors we’ve been making for the last year, even with different personnel! Especially when it comes to set pieces. I think you’ve got to start questioning what’s being done on the training pitch when things still aren’t improving.

I’ve only seen the highlights, but I’m not sure that wisdom did the wrong thing in covering Te wierek. Ejaria wasn’t tracked and that’s a weakness of the 4231 and the narrow midfield. When full backs are out of position, there is no midfielder to cover. 

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I predicted a 15th place finish for the Rams. I think most aspects of the team are mid table quality....

Optimistically I would hope a bit higher. 12th maybe? I don't actually think the defence is weakened by the departure of Bogle and Lowe, as they were often found wanting defensively. Be interesting to see if Wilder can get them a bit more combative and focused. Expectations of the other Rams academy players is way to high and we are lacking quality an consistency among the senior players.  

1 minute ago, europia said:

I don't actually think the defence is weakened by the departure of Bogle and Lowe, as they were often found wanting defensively. Be interesting to see if Wilder can get them a bit more combative and focused.

No, he's bought them to make up a four at bridge with Knill.

14 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Most ridiculous topic after their first league game together. Byrne signed about 5 mins before kick-off. 

How is it ridiculous? Our left back spot is weak and Clarke and MTW both being slow is going to cause us problems, shocking defending yesterday and we could have easily conceded a couple against Barrow it's early days but it's a shocking start.  I'm not saying we have a terrible defence, but it looks bang average to me. 

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I’ve only seen the highlights, but I’m not sure that wisdom did the wrong thing in covering Te wierek. Ejaria wasn’t tracked and that’s a weakness of the 4231 and the narrow midfield. When full backs are out of position, there is no midfielder to cover. 

Of course, my comment was hypothetical as we cannot know what would have happened had wisdom made a different decision. 

My view of the highlights tho was that wisdoms action made up Joao's mind for him and the ball was played into the area exactly where a narrow fb would be occupying. 

However,  had wisdom not moved in behind, then joao might have turned MTW and buried a shot. 

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Of course, my comment was hypothetical as we cannot know what would have happened had wisdom made a different decision. 

My view of the highlights tho was that wisdoms action made up Joao's mind for him and the ball was played into the area exactly where a narrow fb would be occupying. 

However,  had wisdom not moved in behind, then joao might have turned MTW and buried a shot. 

Exactly.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The comment was in reply to they're no good and could Wilder make something of them. We so deserve better than Bogle and Lowe. #getagrip

21 minutes ago, europia said:

I don't actually think the defence is weakened by the departure of Bogle and Lowe, as they were often found wanting defensively.

23 minutes ago, europia said:

Be interesting to see if Wilder can get them a bit more combative and focused.

The above were my comments, and reading it back, I don't think I said they are no good. Just that they need to improve. Just my opinion.

14 hours ago, Van Rammeister said:

Welcome to Derby Mike Te Wierik!!

Written off after one championship match.

Lasted longer than Dowell who was written off before he played in the Rams Fans Crapometer.

Everyone blaming the players when it's the management of them that's the problem.....look at Paterson since he left us,he's been scoring for fun,even dowells turned into a quality player apparently.

We know Clarke and Wisdom are good enough, MTW comes with decent pedigree. Byrne and Marshall good Championship players, so on paper I’d say we’re fine at the back. We’re not the greatest at left back but Fozzy is steady and Buchanan seems okay. 

I know it’s early doors but hopefully we improve defensively as a unit as all the ingredients are there for a solid back 5. As already mentioned we don’t lose anything defensively losing Bogle and Lowe as neither were great at the back. 

If your attack is toothless then it's really hard for your defence to look any good. 

The ball kept coming back at us. We gave possession away cheaply, stood off and didn't do the defensive work in midfield. No surprise that with that pressure, mistakes crept in. Not to mention the lack of movement when any of the back 5 touched the ball, forcing them into dodgy passes.

To answer the thread question, it depends what you mean by 'defence.' Our back 5 is very good, but defending involves all 11 players on the pitch. If Saturday is anything to go by* then our defence is worse than midtable.

*and it isn't, otherwise using last year's first game we'd be unbeaten away all season.

2 minutes ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

We know Clarke and Wisdom are good enough, MTW comes with decent pedigree. Byrne and Marshall good Championship players, so on paper I’d say we’re fine at the back. We’re not the greatest at left back but Fozzy is steady and Buchanan seems okay. 

I know it’s early doors but hopefully we improve defensively as a unit as all the ingredients are there for a solid back 5. As already mentioned we don’t lose anything defensively losing Bogle and Lowe as neither were great at the back. 

This is what concerns me. Saying someone is good on paper is an irrevelance, the job of the manager is to mould the players into an organised, disciplined, cohesive defensive unit.

Stating hopefully we will improve defensively is not what you employ a manager for, that comment insinuates that matters like that are left to chance and if we do improve great if we don't then hey the players were rubbish. It doesn't work like that. Basic football management.

Archived