Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

13 minutes ago, Rev said:

That's not how it worked last year.

Are you sure? It seems very unlikely that someone can go abroad on holiday and return without having to quarantine simply because of the job they do. Surely the the exemption is to allow people, who need to travel abroad for work, to continue to work not just so they can go on their jollies to Benidorm or wherever.

The rules seem to say you need a letter from your company saying what sort of work you’ll be doing. I don’t think tasting the local brew and testing the sun beds would qualify.?

Edited by Tamworthram

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Are you sure? It seems very unlikely that someone can go abroad on holiday and return without having to quarantine simply because of the job they do. Surely the the exemption is to allow people, who need to travel abroad for work, to continue to work not just so they can go on their jollies to Benidorm or wherever.

The rules seem to say you need a letter from your company saying what sort of work you’ll be doing. I don’t think tasting the local brew and testing the sun beds would qualify.?

As I said, that wasn't the case last year, I'm not referring to the current situation.

There were travel corridors open for anyone to use to certain destinations without quarantine on return, and other destinations available for travel for any purpose, with the requirement of 14 day quarantine on return, except for those whose employment exempted them from that requirement.

8 hours ago, Rev said:

As I said, that wasn't the case last year, I'm not referring to the current situation.

There were travel corridors open for anyone to use to certain destinations without quarantine on return, and other destinations available for travel for any purpose, with the requirement of 14 day quarantine on return, except for those whose employment exempted them from that requirement.

As I say though, the work exemptions last year and this year would only be for work related travel surely. Not for a holiday.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

As I say though, the work exemptions last year and this year would only be for work related travel surely. Not for a holiday.

The only difference this year is you need a legitimate reason to depart the country, i.e. work. 

Obviously, it was pretty hard to book a holiday for the majority of last year, seeing as flights were vastly reduced.

2 hours ago, Rev said:

The only difference this year is you need a legitimate reason to depart the country, i.e. work. 

Obviously, it was pretty hard to book a holiday for the majority of last year, seeing as flights were vastly reduced.

So you can’t book a holiday abroad and avoid any quarantine requirements regardless of what industry you work in or if your trip has a legitimate business reason which is what I said.

Just now, Tamworthram said:

So you can’t book a holiday abroad and avoid any quarantine requirements regardless of what industry you work in or if your trip has a legitimate business reason which is what I said.

Hes on about in a couple of months, not now. 

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Hes on about in a couple of months, not now. 

Whether restrictions have been lifted in a couple of months isn’t what this particular debate is about.

He said “have you checked your industry isn’t on the essential workers list, so freeing you from quarantine?

Just now, Tamworthram said:

Whether restrictions have been lifted in a couple of months isn’t what this particular debate is about.

He said “have you checked your industry isn’t on the essential workers list, so freeing you from quarantine?

When he goes on his pre booked holiday in a few months, not now.

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is panicking about having to get a new passport before they book anything....

When I applied to renew mine, it said to expect it to be 10 weeks & then I saw a news story that there was likely to be a big backlog due to people who hadn't bothered renewing last year.

Did mine online & photo upload from my phone etc and my new passport has just arrived within 2 weeks of application.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-nhs-app-to-be-used-as-coronavirus-passport-for-international-travel-grant-shapps-confirms-12289071

COVID-19: NHS app to be used as coronavirus passport for international travel, Grant Shapps confirms

The transport secretary tells Sky News he will soon set out details of which countries have made it on to a "green list".

Get yer NHS App here (not the Track & Trace one):

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/online-services/nhs-app/

19 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Flights looking pretty cheap in the summer. Anyone got any recommendations for Greece. Ideally a little off the beaten track and not touristy, but with beaches and/or some historical sites?

Loved Lindos last year. 

Town itself is good for food and drink. Nice coastline, plenty of places to visit and some nice boat trips and/or adrenaline rides. 

I would go back. 

23 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Flights looking pretty cheap in the summer. Anyone got any recommendations for Greece. Ideally a little off the beaten track and not touristy, but with beaches and/or some historical sites?

Guess it depends what you mean by not touristy.

Koukounaries in Skiathos is not that touristy, only has about 3 bars/restaurants and a lovely beach.

In Crete near the very touristy hersonnisis are 3 resorts, koutofoulori, piskiapano and old hersonnisis, they are a mile or two up the hill and while have a good selection of bars and restaurants they aren't typically tourist bars with loud music and flashing lights, more laid back tavernas 

You do have on hand some good beaches and get a hire car and travel and some good historical sights, spinalonga is a good visit where the lepers were housed until the mid 20th century. 

Also knossos is close by if you like historical stuff.