Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

13 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

I've booked a holiday abroad beginning of September. Took advantage of a good deal from Jet2. Done everything through them, covid travel insurance, can move the booking if required. 

The government keeping saying it's too early to book holidays abroad, yet they don't want to keep bailing out the travel industry. You can't have it both ways. My thought was with booking Majorca is the majority of the holiday makers on the island are British and by the time I go, many of the tourists will have had a vaccine. I've already had covid too so the chances of me catching it again after having a vaccine will be incredibly small.

I don't see what the issue is with going abroad if you've been vaccinated. As long as you follow the guidance of the country's covid rules, I think you'll be fine.

In fairness, I don't see a problem with doing what you've done... covered as many bases as possible, got the insurance, and presumably are prepared to change plans if things go downhill between now and then.

I suspect the "Too early" message from the government is to cover their ar5e against those that will moan like hell if thing do get worse, and they end up not being allowed to go... or end up having to isolate for a fortnight when they get back... or they end up losing money because they didn't have appropriate insurance, etc. 
"Why did they not tell us this might happen", they'll all cry!   
"Serves you right", I will respond!

Fingers crossed for you buddy.  I think we all need a bloody holiday!  ?

• 2 weeks later...

I still think summer holidays abroad will be fine towards the back end of the summer. Anyone going in June might be disappointed due to the shameless of the vaccination program in the EU. I think the beach resorts will be okay though, particularly the ones where alot of British people visit. 

I've seen the experts and their articles about not going abroad. There are always risks involved everytime you visit a foreign country. I've had ear infections due to dodgy swimming pools, food poisoning whilst visiting a sea side restaurant. It hasn't put me off going away, these things happen. This talk about bringing new variants to these shores, it will happen anyway even in the next two/three years. As long as the most vulnerable have been vaccinated, we can't keep living in some invincible shielded bubble. 

Due to my circumstances, I can only go away in the kids holidays. To hire a static caravan for a week in Devon is costing £1200 in August. It's the same price as going aborad to Majorca and the kids holiday camps are looking booked up too. 

Last summer I think the covid rate was very low? We're going to be even safer this year. If every adult has been vaccinated, I cant see why people can't start to travel. As I've mentioned, you can't stop new variants coming in and out the country, we will be living with this virus for years. As long as the right people have been jabbed, we've minimised the risk the best we can. 

Edited by SouthStandDan

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, angieram said:

Yep, our Dorset holiday was booked in January.

Went there for a mates wedding a few years ago. Lovely place. Not sure if it's limited to the Bournemouth area, but the road system means it's busy for a lot of the time.

Edited by TimRam