20/21 Pre-Signings Expectations

Day

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we don’t sign 3 players min (GK, RW & CF) then it’s another season of mid table mediocrity. This current squad is not good enough for anymore especially now after losing Martin and Clarke. 

I think it's too hard to call right now so I'll outline a few scenarios

1) We receive no charges, make 4 good signings through a combination of freebies, loans and maybe one decent fee and keep hold of our youngsters: Firmly top 6 and I think pushing for automatics. Our form since January wasn't a fluke, you can expect the young players to kick on and bolstered by key signings I really think we will be right in the hunt for promotion.

2) Some smallish restriction from the EFL (I.e. a soft embargo or a 3 pts deduction), make a few decent signings, have to sell to buy a bit but overall the squad moves forward: 8th - 5th depending on who's sold and who is bought.

3) Heavy restrictions from the EFL, have to sell some of the younger players and can't reinvest all of the money or we just don't make any signings but don't really have to sell: 14th - 10th if Cocu stays. If he decides this isn't what he signed up for we could really end up in trouble and might be just keeping our head above water.

I think somewhere between 1 and 2 is where we end up but I wouldn't put the house on it.

With probably one of the best midfielders to play the game as our manager and an owner who is a lifelong Rams fan, I’m optimistic that we will eventually get promotion to the Premier League.

The relegated sides have a massive advantage in the battle for a top 2 position, but without major injuries ( surely we deserve a bit of luck ) I’m confident of a top 6 finish.

With 3 astute signings, Marriott firing on all cylinders all season and the youngsters continuing to develop, it looks good, but we desperately need a solid keeper.

The EFL will ultimately have a big say in how our season progresses.

It’s always difficult to set any rigid expectations for the season before we know what our squad is going to look like. Even more so this season when we might start on minus points or with a transfer embargo - both of which would obviously have a huge effect on what we could expect to achieve next season.

That said, so long as off the pitch events don’t have too much of an effect on the pitch, I think it’s fair to expect that we at least don’t regress as a team, at a minimum. So we should be expecting at least a top half finish imo. Obviously the more ambitious target has to be to make the playoffs, and I think that’s an attainable target so long as we bring in 3-4 quality signings over the transfer window. But if we miss out again it’s not necessarily the end of the world. It’s clear Cocu is here for a long term project, so really the most important thing is year on year improvement at the moment. If we’re languishing around 17th place still losing 3-0 in London every other week then I think it’ll be time for a change - but so long as we’re at least challenging for the top 6, I think Cocu will be doing a decent enough job. I expect promotion within the duration of his contract, but it’s harsh to expect it next season imo. There’s a lot of work to be done.

I expect the three relegated teams to win promotion because the others have no chance financially and there isn’t a championship side currently who look to be building towards a good promotion challenge. Maybe Norwich could muck it up if they don’t have a goal scorer next season but they probably will get one, as will the other two.

As for Derby we desperately need a good rugged centre half and a centre forward who scores goals, the other positions we may get bye with what we have - yes Roos with some defenders who can defend may be ok and yes Waghorn on the right hand side will achieve more than at centre forward for the team. But of course a few seasoned internationals of high standing would be nice - Joe Hart please and a wide player with pace and the ability to cross the ball to our team would be great, yet that is being optimistic 

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I expect the three relegated teams to win promotion because the others have no chance financially and there isn’t a championship side currently who look to be building towards a good promotion challenge. Maybe Norwich could muck it up if they don’t have a goal scorer next season but they probably will get one, as will the other two.

As for Derby we desperately need a good rugged centre half and a centre forward who scores goals, the other positions we may get bye with what we have - yes Roos with some defenders who can defend may be ok and yes Waghorn on the right hand side will achieve more than at centre forward for the team. But of course a few seasoned internationals of high standing would be nice - Joe Hart please and a wide player with pace and the ability to cross the ball to our team would be great, yet that is being optimistic 

Bournemouth will certainly only spend one season in the championship,  good luck to them in league 1 in 21/22

Of the three that are relegated from Premiership since 2000 all 3 have never return together the following year.

Normal only one of teams returns and in an exceptional year you may get two.  

It is not has easy as seems to get of the championship even with 'better' players and parachute money.

55 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Genuinely can’t believe so many think Cocu may walk. Give your heads a wobble. Man oozes class, definitely here whatever the EFL or whoever throws at us. 

With everything that he's had to deal with this last season, any lesser man would not have stayed.  Cocu is a class act.

Our performances in the last 6 games showed that we are nowhere near good enough for top six. Second season could be An improvement but second season syndrome means some might equally find it more difficult.

Prior to any signings I see mid-table again. Cocu’s hands are tied by finances.

I’m not sure whether he has the answers, but we’ll see.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Our performances in the last 6 games showed that we are nowhere near good enough for top six. Second season could be An improvement but second season syndrome means some might equally find it more difficult.

Prior to any signings I see mid-table again. Cocu’s hands are tied by finances.

I’m not sure whether he has the answers, but we’ll see.

I would disagree a little. Add a very good keeper and we would have sneaked in. We were a mile off the top 4 teams but anything can happen in the play offs. 

3 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

With this squad?

Why not? Played a whole season without Marriott and Bielik, only had Martin available every other game or so due to his condition, blooded a load of young'uns and Cocu and the Dutch mafia have now have a season under their belts in a league that was previously a great unknown. Couple of signing t come in too maybe...

Fact is, with a bit of luck we could have done it this season so if you're assuming next season will be worse then that's hard to fathom really.

COYR

Archived