20/21 Pre-Signings Expectations

Day

Just curious as to what your expectations are for next season, do you have any at all or are you waiting to see what signings we make before setting any kind of targets for Cocu?

I know expectations are seen as some kind of dirty word used to throw at those you disagree with. But the reality is we do all have some expectations where we will look back on next year and judge if the season has been a success or not.

For the last few seasons it’s mostly been challenging for top 6, are we still looking at that now, or with the Covid situation causing financial issues across the EFL, are you a little bit more forgiving about what’s to come?

No poll this time as I don’t think this is as straightforward as it has been in previous years with the EFL case hanging over us.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends on this EFL debacle to be honest.

I’m hoping we keep Cocu first and foremost.

Should we suffer a 12 point deduction that could prove too much for him and the pressure may be too much resulting in him walking away. That is just my opinion.

However if we get away with a fine, I’d expect him to remain. In this scenario I would like to think we could achieve top 4 with the  benefit that comes of having the continuity of Manager and coaching staff. Plus the quality Cocu posses to develop youngsters coming through the academy, we will continue to reap the rewards for the foreseeable future.  

Every season all clubs start with the ambition to win the league I am sure that is our ambition too. However with the current situation due to covid the three relegated clubs start with a even greater financial advantage. 

The least Derby should be expecting is the same has the last few seasons to be challenging for a playoff place. 

I do not expect anything coming from the EFL and I have read the telegraph article but there are also noises suggesting the contrary. 

I'm not expecting many, if any, signings - either due to EFL embargoes or club finances.

So, with what we have, not much more than mid table again. Maybe the positive will be the current crop of youngsters will get more experience and one or two more may get a few games.

I'm not overly optimistic for Derby or for football as a whole.

Football needs some kind of restructuring. The financial hierarchy is killing the competitiveness of the game and, as much as Sky, BBC and the media tell us it's all about Liverpool v Man City, there has to be 'hope' for everyone.

My pre-signings expectations are an improvement in consistency levels. Cocu has had a year to get his ideas across, and the players seem to be taking them onboard. Personally I don't "expect" anything more. New signings and the quality of other teams will define where we finish. What are your expectations @David?

2 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

Every season all clubs start with the ambition to win the league I am sure that is our ambition too. However with the current situation due to covid the three relegated clubs start with a even greater financial advantage. 

The least Derby should be expecting is the same has the last few seasons to be challenging for a playoff place. 

Funny thing is I’ve seen people backing Bournemouth for back to back relegations, but that Premier League TV revenue money in their back pocket plus parachute payments gives them and the other two a grossly unfair advantage. 

When you look at how long it takes the EFL to take any action, I wouldn’t put it past all 3 to stick 2 fingers up to FFP and go for it. 

Whilst Championship clubs have been hit hard by the pandemic, what a time to flex your financial muscle and make this a brief stay. 

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

What are your expectations @David?

I think we should expect to avoid relegation, even if a points deduction is applied. 

My expectations fall more on the players shoulders, Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Sibley and Knight. I really want to see them step up and take it to the next level. 

The end of last season showed we was woefully short against the top 6, I can handle another 10th place finish as long as we see individual improvements that see us compete more in the big games. 

I have no doubt Cocu will continue to use them, but he also holds a responsibility to use them correctly and get the best out of them. 

Play offs.

We've now got a relatively cheap squad. Other clubs don't. I suspect we are currently haemorrhaging money at a slower rate than quite a lot of clubs in our division and the first choice 11 based on all those kids is going to get better.

Pick up a couple of decent freebies and loans in the transfer market, remain steady and watch a whole load of clubs struggle financially, take 12-point hits etc.

There seems to be a lot of speculation, not just from the media, but also from fans as to what is going to happen or not happen regarding the EFL charge.  Unlike some, I have confidence in Mel Morris and I don't think that he would have taken the decision that he did if it mean't putting his financial situation at risk, or indeed putting the club at risk.  The EFL are bafoons, I think we can all agree on that and I just don't think that they have a case!

Cocu must stay, first and foremost.  He knows what he wants, player wise and hopefully he can get them in and as I am every pre-season, I'm optimistic of a top six finish...COYR! 

Without signings being made and without the outcome of the EFL saga being known (so assuming we start level):

A more consistent and better version of this season sees us strongly in mid table but not quite top six standard. The trio of Bird, Sibley and Knight grow vastly. We finish 8th-ish but it's clearly been a season where we've progressed from where we were before and the football style is more enjoyable because it works more consistently.

Adjust up if no sanction and good signings, adjust down with poor signings and sanction from EFL.

I think we just need to be competitive and at least look like we're in the race for top 6.

An improvement in performances against the top 6 will be a big part of that as well as how we perform away.

So maybe less about where we end up finishing but more about how we perform in certain situations.

Archived