20/21 Pre-Signings Expectations

David

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Bournemouth will certainly only spend one season in the championship,  good luck to them in league 1 in 21/22

Yep, Bournemouth deffo relegation fodder. They’ve had their 15 minutes of fame, time for them to take their place amongst the also rans.  

Actually am quite optimistic - yes, at the moment we’ve lost Martin and Clarke but effectively we have 2 new signings in Dutch Mike and Bielik (who will be delighted that the season’s starting later) and Wisdom back fit too. Knight, Bird, Sibley and Whittaker will be a bit stronger and certainly a bit smarter - hopefully Bogle and Lowe still improving too. Cocu’s clearly grasped the value of Shinnie and Wisdom to the squad after a year of dealing with the players. Marriott is the random factor - maybe his operation will make a big difference too. 

Just need to hope that the EFL bluster doesn’t get in the way through a points deduction or a transfer embargo. 

However, even if we have no more incoming/departing then a match day of the following 17 should still have a chance of the play offs. 

Roos/Ravas - Bogle - Te Wierik - Bielik/Wisdom - Forsyth/Lowe - Rooney - Bird/Shinnie - Lawrence - Sibley - Holmes/Knight - Waghorn/Marriott 

and then you still have Evans, Curtis, Buchanan, Malone, Zoon, Whittaker, trialist and even currently Bennett and Carson still on the books. 

improve that first group with a goalkeeper, centre half, and an attacking player and we should enter the season full of confidence. 

Chasing top 6. I expect Mel's initial hope would be play offs this coming season and promotion by the one after.

Can't expect the kids to perform/be consistent all season long though, so it's going to be a tough ask, but the right 3 or 4 players in could make a world of difference.

Season is there for the taking for me. I'd say Brentford are clear front runners unless they lose a couple of their holy trinity and don't replace effectively, and wouldn't expect more than one of the relegated sides (maybe Norwich) to be seriously in the title chase. Then there's quite a gap to the next group with a mix of losing mentalities, losing key players, overachieving/overspending this season and being pretty much bang average. 

We have to finish above Millwall and Forest.

We wont make any signings, but I can see us having a decent start to the season, by September we will be a couple of points off top 6 and things will look up, fans will be positive and there will be this feeling that club is moving in the right direction....

But then it will come out that Mike Te Wierek is actually an illegal immigrant from Guatemala posing as a Dutch national and will be sent back home. Jack Marriott, after scoring in 5 successive games will be attacked by a gang of angry midgets in Ripley and will be out for the rest of the season. Bogle will receive a calling from God and will fly to Nigeria to help Taribo build churches and Tom Lawrence will come out as trans-gender and will wish to be called petulia.

And it will revert to being your typical Derby County season.

My expectations for next season is that we will be screwed over by the efl. Wether it's because they find us guilty and dock us points. Or that they'll find us not guilty but drag out announcing the verdict for as long as possible, so as to mess up our preparation for the coming season.

So no matter which way the verdict goes, we'll start the season at a disadvantage.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We wont make any signings, but I can see us having a decent start to the season, by September we will be a couple of points off top 6 and things will look up, fans will be positive and there will be this feeling that club is moving in the right direction....

But then it will come out that Mike Te Wierek is actually an illegal immigrant from Guatemala posing as a Dutch national and will be sent back home. Jack Marriott, after scoring in 5 successive games will be attacked by a gang of angry midgets in Ripley and will be out for the rest of the season. Bogle will receive a calling from God and will fly to Nigeria to help Taribo build churches and Tom Lawrence will come out as trans-gender and will wish to be called petulia.

And it will revert to being your typical Derby County season.

And Rooney will do an acl

All keoghs fault

My expectations for next season are extremely low. To be quite frank, I have very little faith in the current set-up. I don’t believe there will be any significant incomings and I also think the squad have lost a lot of character and leadership. I think we are about to drift even further into the wilderness. When I think about the wasted money, the potential we had, and the ludicrous twists and turns, I just see Cocu’s face, looking like a rabbit in the headlights. Sorry to paint such a gloomy landscape, I’m just saying what I see: a Pig’s ear with a Ram on it. 

17 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

My expectations for next season are extremely low. To be quite frank, I have very little faith in the current set-up. I don’t believe there will be any significant incomings and I also think the squad have lost a lot of character and leadership. I think we are about to drift even further into the wilderness. When I think about the wasted money, the potential we had, and the ludicrous twists and turns, I just see Cocu’s face, looking like a rabbit in the headlights. Sorry to paint such a gloomy landscape, I’m just saying what I see: a Pig’s ear with a Ram on it. 

I like your thinking, the only way is up. Much better to see us performing better than expected rather than getting frustrated watching expectations drift away.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Do you really think that or after years of disappointment are you pessimistic hoping to be pleasantly surprised?

I expect further improvement on last season but EFL charge outcomes aside, I’m not sure we will improve enough to get promoted. With the pandemic crippling our finances I wouldn’t be surprised if we started the season with what we have now. As others have said I think this is the year the parachute payments could really count and we might see the three relegated clubs go straight back. Only premier league and recently relegated clubs are immune to this pandemic it seems, much to the disgruntlement of everyone else. 

I think (assuming no points deduction) we might make top 6 as Bird Sibley and Knight will all be even better, and fingers crossed if Marriott is fit, he could replace some of the goals we’ve lost with Martin leaving. But once in the playoffs, unless we can bring in some quality different options in forward areas then I’m not sure we will have enough to win them.

As for confidence in the current management team. Top 6 form over second half of the season, that’s progress from where we were is it not? As for comparing to last season, without Tomori Mount and Wilson that team would’ve been well in the bottom half imo.

7 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

I like your thinking, the only way is up. Much better to see us performing better than expected rather than getting frustrated watching expectations drift away.

But it’s what I truly foresee for next season. ?

6 hours ago, CBRammette said:

Do you really think that or after years of disappointment are you pessimistic hoping to be pleasantly surprised?

I really think that @CBRammette. I don’t mean to be so bleak and pessimistic but I just think we are drifting and totally out of kilter. Can you even believe how poor our recruitment has been for several seasons now? They would clearly buy some magic beans off a gypsy on deadline day if left totally to their own devices. 

Archived