Derby County Vs Brentford matchday thread.

Rev

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I don’t mind Jozefzoon, to be honest. I don’t think he’s really been given enough of a chance. He has only started 19 league games in two years at the club. Half of the time he is not even the squad.

Yes, he hasn’t impressed and things haven’t clicked for him thus far. But he hasn’t really ever been given a sustained run of starts to build form and confidence and he hasn’t really had the manager’s backing. 

He hasn't been given a sustained run to build up any form.  You're right.   But he hasn't had a run now either so why is playing him now likely to produce a different outcome?

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

He hasn't been given a sustained run to build up any form.  You're right.   But he hasn't had a run now either so why is playing him now likely to produce a different outcome?

True.

I am not saying he is the answer. Let’s be honest, in his limited time on the pitch, he hasn’t got anywhere close to producing the quality that the likes of Ince, Russell, and Ward did - all of whom we still miss to this day.

I really don’t know if there is any way back for him here. He looks like he is finished here like Blackman, Camara, Weimann and Anya before him.

Both Cocu and Lampard have obviously viewed him as a last resort, a last roll of the dice.

Honestly though with the way the squad is suffering with injuries and suspensions, I think we may be at that stage.

What other option have we got?

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

...Against better defences in the last two games, he has looked awful. I don’t want to see a repeat.

Because the crosses played into the box that he missed, the through balls he didn't get to, the interplay (lovely bit with Rooney excepted) that was messed up. The headers he didn't flick on. Yeah all those he didn't do! I bet Marriott would have had a hatful!

Agree with @RoyMac5 on the Martin issue. If CM19 gets opportunities he will score; we've seen it before and his goals per minute ratio this season is still among the best in the league.

We somehow need to find some players that can cross the ball. The last 2 games we've just tried to play it through the middle and it hasn't worked; it's been far too predictable. What the solution to that is with the current squad... I don't know. 

6 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

What the solution to that is with the current squad... I don't know. 

Well although some love to hate him Lawrence will be back in contention (can't see Cocu not picking him, but...) and that will allow Sibley to go 10. Knight wide right for me and will be v happy if Holmes isn't in contention.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well although some love to hate him Lawrence will be back in contention (can't see Cocu not picking him, but...) and that will allow Sibley to go 10. Knight wide right for me and will be v happy if Holmes isn't in contention.

Never been so keen to see Lawrence back. Obviously canny Brentford will have someone trying to wind him up. Early goal from TL would be nice.

I just hope we come out of the traps and have a real go at them.

I’ve got bored of watching the safety first passing. That’s ok if we we’re winning 2-0 but we need to have another way of playing when the clock is ticking and we have to win. 

Just now, RamNut said:

I just hope we come out of the traps and have a real go at them.

I’ve got bored of watching the safety first passing. That’s ok if we we’re winning 2-0 but we need to have another way of playing when the clock is ticking and we have to win. 

We need to be braver and execute the passing better - more movement, quicker passes, more positivity too.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We need to be braver and execute the passing better - more movement, quicker passes, more positivity too.

I would agree that the slow pace of the passes especially from the CBs means everyone is marked for the next pass. 

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Agreed. The tactics aren't the problem, it's the execution of them. Understandable given how many players we have missing. I think we're simply running out of steam.

Archived