Test Cricket is Back

sage

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It's fun, isn't it?

There will be days when it doesn't work, but I've got a feeling that even the defeats will be enjoyable.

The scriptwriters are going to have to work hard to beat the first test.

My Dad got me into cricket in the early 70s as a young teen, I remember sitting in the old Grandstand at the Racecourse and watching Chris Wilkins walk out with a bat the size of an oak tree ?

This new take with Stokes and McCullum will take our test cricket to a new level...never seen before, 5 0ne day games in a test match ?  

2 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

I thought Stokes had blown it with the declaration but  he timed it to perfection. 

I’d genuinely forgotten about it, until I heard in the pub ‘the last day should be interesting’….. ??

44 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

My Dad got me into cricket in the early 70s as a young teen, I remember sitting in the old Grandstand at the Racecourse and watching Chris Wilkins walk out with a bat the size of an oak tree ?

This new take with Stokes and McCullum will take our test cricket to a new level...never seen before, 5 0ne day games in a test match ?  

I remember Chris Wilkins hitting a huge 6 in a Sunday league game that smashed Derek Underwoods car window. Couldn’t understand why Underwood refused to sign an autograph and told us to go forth and multiply whilst he was sweeping up glass after the game ??‍♂️

5 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

I've got to thank my dad for my interest in cricket too.

I was 12 and was taken to see the South Africans play Kent at the St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury, in 1965. Graeme Pollock became my instant hero with a sublime 206*, including a couple of shots that nearly cleared the lime tree. During the tea interval on the first day we wandered over to the area between the nets and the pavilion to watch Colin Bland give a demonstration of typical cover point fielding - pick up and throws, throwing the stumps down etc. Spellbinding, and 25 years before Jonty Rhodes made it an art form.

Two weeks later, we were off to the cricket again - this time to Trent Bridge, where my dad's hero Colin Cowdrey scored a ton for England, and my new-found hero Graeme Pollock did likewise for South Africa.

57 years later, my love of the game hasn't diminished one iota.

On 06/12/2022 at 01:51, Eddie said:

I've got to thank my dad for my interest in cricket too.

I was 12 and was taken to see the South Africans play Kent at the St Lawrence Ground, Canterbury, in 1965. Graeme Pollock became my instant hero with a sublime 206*, including a couple of shots that nearly cleared the lime tree. During the tea interval on the first day we wandered over to the area between the nets and the pavilion to watch Colin Bland give a demonstration of typical cover point fielding - pick up and throws, throwing the stumps down etc. Spellbinding, and 25 years before Jonty Rhodes made it an art form.

Two weeks later, we were off to the cricket again - this time to Trent Bridge, where my dad's hero Colin Cowdrey scored a ton for England, and my new-found hero Graeme Pollock did likewise for South Africa.

57 years later, my love of the game hasn't diminished one iota.

I went to Beaufort junior school at the top end of the racecourse in the 1970’s a few of us used to sneak in through the railings after school I think Brian bolus was the captain at the time and we were s**** then Eddie Barlow became captain and wright and Kirsten signed as overseas players and we were not bad for the first time in years. I used to love the John player Sunday league. I’m now a member and I think this is the best set up we’ve had for years

10 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

I went to Beaufort junior school at the top end of the racecourse in the 1970’s a few of us used to sneak in through the railings after school I think Brian bolus was the captain at the time and we were s**** then Eddie Barlow became captain and wright and Kirsten signed as overseas players and we were not bad for the first time in years. I used to love the John player Sunday league. I’m now a member and I think this is the best set up we’ve had for years

You'll have to pop over to introduce yourself to myself, @sage, @Curtains and @angieram at some time. If you're lucky, we might have a Belgian beer lying around the place. Watching Derbyshire is a real pleasure nowadays - tremendous setup and some cracking young players coming through the ranks.

Edited by Eddie

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Critical phase of the test now. Pakistan hunkering down and showing the grit that was noticeably absent in the first test. England need a wicket or two to firmly swing the pendulum back in their favour. Have to say that I'm really enjoying this series.

Need a couple of wickets tonight but not looking likely at the moment 

58 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Need a couple of wickets tonight but not looking likely at the moment 

That last wicket could prove crucial. I'd say it's advantage England but the first session tomorrow morning will be critical. Win and Stokes will be hailed once again, lose and questions will be asked, no doubt. The pitch doesn't seem to be offering a lot to our seamers, though they have bowled really well all things considered.

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

That last wicket could prove crucial. I'd say it's advantage England but the first session tomorrow morning will be critical. Win and Stokes will be hailed once again, lose and questions will be asked, no doubt. The pitch doesn't seem to be offering a lot to our seamers, though they have bowled really well all things considered.

Pity they didnt review the leg side edge off Iman