Test Cricket is Back

sage

55 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:
2 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

England v Ireland seems a total miss match to me seems such a pointless match. Does anyone have any views? 

Fine as a limited overs game, test cricket only works when the teams are pretty evenly matched. Underdog team pulling out a heroic session or probably ends up not mattering over a 5 day test

They gave England a scare last time they played them in a test, before collapsing in the second innings 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/ireland-tour-of-england-2019-1152835/england-vs-ireland-only-test-1152839/full-scorecard

Edited by littleover ram

Quite. Not really seeing how this will prepare us for the Aussies. I've zero problem playing a Test against Ireland because how else will they improve their Test Match craft but its so one-sided that I'm not sure how much they are actually leaning in this game. It's surely achieving very little for England too in terms of Ashes preparation.

11 hours ago, Carnero said:

I'd rather be watching England taking on an England "A" team featuring the likes of Lawrence, Hain, Foakes, Woakes, etc.

This is actually a pretty good idea. Did enjoy watching Duckett and even more so Ollie pope batting today though. Pope especially, looked totally unruffled throughout. The Ozzies will of course provide an altogether stiffer test. 

Glad test cricket is back but feel a tad shortchanged in entertainment and meaningful preparation for Australia. The test will likely be complete without 3 of our best batters even seeing the field. 

Looking forward to seeing the ICC Test Final on Wednesday which should be some game. 

FFS. Jack Leach has been ruled out if the Ashes series due to a stress fracture ☹ 

Given the lack of experienced alternatives, and Stokes on going knee issue, I think I'd be inclined to go in with 4 seamers for most of the matches and let Root fill in where required.

If a pitch demands a spinner then it'll have to be the young lad Rehan Ahmed.

27 minutes ago, Carnero said:

FFS. Jack Leach has been ruled out if the Ashes series due to a stress fracture ☹ 

Given the lack of experienced alternatives, and Stokes on going knee issue, I think I'd be inclined to go in with 4 seamers for most of the matches and let Root fill in where required.

Rashid or Moen for me….

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

I’d be inclined to go with Ahmed - seems that he can bat a bit, too. Though, I’d just be a bit concerned with the lack of experience against the ‘tactics’ of the opposition in an Ashes series. If not, then Moeen who has that bit of leadership quality that might be needed if things get tough.

Moeen's the call here, surely, that's assuming he can be tempted back. Ahmed is the future, but probably needs a series that's less of a cauldron than those against the Ozzies, but I'm not sure who else would be an Ashes prospect at this point.

32 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Moeen's the call here, surely, that's assuming he can be tempted back. Ahmed is the future, but probably needs a series that's less of a cauldron than those against the Ozzies, but I'm not sure who else would be an Ashes prospect at this point.

Moeen isn't bowling in the T20. Way past his sell by date. Need to move on to a spinner who is an aggressive bat like Jacks or Critchley.

The elephant in the room here is Stokes' lack of bowling. The only reason to have Leach (or any spinner) in the team is to allow rotation of the other 3 bowlers. That's why Leach was bowling on the first morning of the recent test against Ireland.

England don't need/have/want an attacking spinner. They just need someone to occupy one end because they are not going into tests with a five man attack. 

Leach is tidy. Do we have another tidy spinner?

1 minute ago, sage said:

I would then suggest they are making a mistake. Stokes has captained England to many Test wins, but this a poo idea. Not bowled in red ball cricket for 2 years.

Doubtless you'd know better than me, but to be honest, I'd rather go into an Ashes series with a battle-hardened Mooen than the other options. I thought Ahmed might be ready, but perhaps they think he needs more experience. No guarantee Moeen will want to return anyway.