Test Cricket is Back

sage

7 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Doubtless you'd know better than me, but to be honest, I'd rather go into an Ashes series with a battle-hardened Mooen than the other options. I thought Ahmed might be ready, but perhaps they think he needs more experience. No guarantee Moeen will want to return anyway.

One person's battle hardened is another man's shell shocked. Ahmed doesn't bowl tight enough is probably a year or 2 from playing regularly.

51 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

The elephant in the room here is Stokes' lack of bowling. The only reason to have Leach (or any spinner) in the team is to allow rotation of the other 3 bowlers. That's why Leach was bowling on the first morning of the recent test against Ireland.

England don't need/have/want an attacking spinner. They just need someone to occupy one end because they are not going into tests with a five man attack. 

Leach is tidy. Do we have another tidy spinner?

I guess the closest like for like would be Liam Dawson, who's a  gritty all rounder  but a little short of Test class as a bowler. Not a bad option at no.8 though.

If we're planning on bowling first most matches, as has been the way, then I think picking 4 seamers + Stokes + Root could be the way to go.

Edited by Carnero

20 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I personally think Moeen Ali is better than Leach and I don’t see a problem. 

He hasn't done an awful lot of bowling or batting in recent weeks.

All 20 and quite a lot of bench warming too. Speaking as a Warwickshire man, I'm quite happy to see him go. Since he arrived from the IPL, we've lost all 3 games he's captained in.

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

He hasn't done an awful lot of bowling or batting in recent weeks.

All 20 and quite a lot of bench warming too. Speaking as a Warwickshire man, I'm quite happy to see him go. Since he arrived from the IPL, we've lost all 3 games he's captained in.

Yes but they have 8 points .

On 08/06/2023 at 11:43, Curtains said:

I personally think Moeen Ali is better than Leach and I don’t see a problem. 

He definitely fits into the mould of the new approach.  He attacks with the bat and has a little bit more character.  Could be a great swansong for him.

More worrying is the way we could have looked with a fully fit and firing Broad, Wood; Stokes, Archer type attack and the medium pace stuff we may end up with.

Aussies definitely favourites for me.

19 hours ago, Chester40 said:

He definitely fits into the mould of the new approach.  He attacks with the bat and has a little bit more character.  Could be a great swansong for him.

More worrying is the way we could have looked with a fully fit and firing Broad, Wood; Stokes, Archer type attack and the medium pace stuff we may end up with.

Aussies definitely favourites for me.

I'd best avoid mentioning the spin role, but I do share your concerns about our bowling unit in general. Archer has that express pace that unsettles players and we don't really know much about the state of Stokes' knee. The Aussie unit looks pretty good and I'd agree that they are clear favourites for the series win. I'm hoping it'll be competitive though.

I'll probably bet the Aussies tbh - that way if we lose, I'll at least have a few extra bottles of single malt to soothe the pain.

9 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Really excited for the start of the Ashes today.

Not sure Bazball will work against the accuracy of Hazelwood and Boland.

Nor whether England’s old men can bowl Australia out (think Robinson will take more wickets).

But readers on here will know I know nothing 😎

I think we will get a series where we might win a couple easily because of the batting, then also lose a couple miserably because of the batting 😄