Live football thread.

Rev

7 minutes ago, sage said:

Arsenal 1 up v Man City and playing really well. 

The curse of @Bris Vegas

Man City will have played Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea and United all away from home after this game.

With the best squad in the league, they really shouldn’t have any problems winning the title from here unless Liverpool or Chelsea win at least 15 of their 19 games in the second half of the season.

On 30/12/2021 at 14:54, Bris Vegas said:

Man City are running away with the PL title again.

The so-called most competitive league in the world only has one decent title race every 5 years or so.

Not necessarily. If Liverpool and Chelsea both win their games in hand (very likely), then they’re a bit closer. Then if Chelsea and Liverpool both win their games against city they’ll over take them. Not as possible, but there are definitely a few 6 pointers still to look forward to up there. 

city win those 6 pointers (they’re at home, so they’re in the box seat), then it’s all over and they’ll run away with it. But if I was a Chelsea or Liverpool fan, I’d still be holding out a lot of hope for a close run in. 

Just now, TigerTedd said:

Not necessarily. If Liverpool and Chelsea both win their games in hand (very likely), then they’re a bit closer. Then if Chelsea and Liverpool both win their games against city they’ll over take them. Not as possible, but there are definitely a few 6 pointers still to look forward to up there. 

city win those 6 pointers (they’re at home, so they’re in the box seat), then it’s all over and they’ll run away with it. But if I was a Chelsea or Liverpool fan, I’d still be holding out a lot of hope for a close run in. 

Chelsea and Liverpool can definitely beat City for sure.

But they both need to massively improve in the second half of the season as a repeat of the first half of the season will only see them finish on around 82 points which won’t be enough to beat City to the title.

Chelsea look like they’ve lost their way over the last month. And with the AFCON Liverpool will be disrupted with Salah and Mane going.

I feel it the title race will be an anticlimax again. Top four probably the better one as Spurs and Arsenal are improving and should give Man Utd something to worry about. 

City equalise with a VAR penalty. Arsenal had one VAR penalty turned down. Both could have gone either way. 

Then City nearly score an own goal, Ake cleared off the line and Martinelli misses the rebound.  

A minute later Gabriel gets his second yellow card in 2 minutes.

Curse of @sage 

Atwell as popular at the Emirates as he is at Pride Park

Edited by sage

There was a slight tug on the jersey no doubt, but Silva saw Xhaka's leg in front of him and decided to throw himself over it.  He certainly didn't end up on the ground because of Xhaka's pull on the shirt or any other contact.  Can you actually foul a player who is already mid-dive?  Or is the dive the first offence?