v Millwall (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Its a long time since I've felt like this after a match (apart from rubbing the Dirties face in it last season). I am absolutely buzzing some three and a half hours later! I am very satisfied. Yes Bogle took a while to discover that he could go for the jugular down the right wing instead of stopping and turning back, Clarke had a few wobblies, and Wisdom ran into trouble and gave the ball away cheaply a few times, but to see us playing with that level of assuredness was a joy to the eye. 

I think we edged the first half, but it was fairly even, with our dominance of possession in some ways coming because we were playing a Rowett team - their only threats came  from breakaways. And their goal was a bit poor from Forsyth, but then again how can you jump and challenge or the ball when the giant of a forward has his arm on your shoulder pressing you down? The only thing missing from a "first game of the season" was Derby's lethargy? Where did that go?

Oh, here it is, at the start of the second half! In reality Rowett changed things up a bit and got his team to press us more, and it took us some time to get back into things. Also, near the start of the thread someone wisely suggested that maybe Sibley wouldn't start because he would be targetted because of his fiery nature. They had a couple of goes at him, but he seems to have got himself sorted on that one. They also had a go at Holmes, and the challenge on Lawrence just outside the box was a bit nasty. But as well as pressing, Millwall went physical - there must have been 7 or 8 fouls on Sibley, with all but one of them ignored. You just knew that Sibbers would get carded for his first foul, but there you go. At least the long layoff hasn't affected the refereeing too much. Oh, and yes, it was a penalty - it wasn't simply a hand on his back - it was a definite push and stopped him getting through on goal.

I think it is a good sign that all three of our goals were beauties - no lucky bounces, in-offs or anything like that. Just superbly crafted goals. I haven't seen that for a while, either, but it is perhaps a mark of the progress we have made. 

Although Lawrence didn't have much of a threat on goal, he did some lovely link up work around the box, an although Max Bird is playing alongside Rooney in midfield, he roams around the pitch as though it is his midfield, to do with as he wishes. So although the plaudits are quite rightly with Sibley tonight, Bird is an immense talent. Perhaps not so much of a cannonball threat on goal, but is everything that George Thorne should have been, and hopefully with a better luck on the injuries side of things. Oh, and their 2nd goal - did you see the Millwall player jump straight into Davis, knocking him off balance? You could say it was just a physical challenge, but it was aimed at pushing him off balance. It worked, and they got away with it. Oh and Chris Martin - there have been loads of comments about Waghorn getting lost amongst the defenders. His lay-off to Sibley for the second goal was a peach. I don't know where he got that from! But he was always a pace or two behind play, and doesn't tend to anticipate the through ball. When Chris came on he put a beautiful ball through to Jason Knight and another one through to Fozzy for the thrid goal. What damage could he have done in 90 minutes? He still has a role to play here at Derby. Please? Pretty please?

But Cocu is doing amazing things with this squad. Well done Cocu, well done you Rams!

What a time to be a Ram! Je Suis tres happy!

Best entertainment in months. Sibley makes me think of Giles Barnes with his quick feet into difficult areas. 

As Rams TV said - Rowett lets you have possession - but even so, some of the first half passing was excellent. 

also praise to Cocu on the subs - important to use the squad in this run in, and felt so right to see Curtis coming in with Wisdom switching to right back. Not so sure about Rooney’s brief spell up front. 

Still a mountain to climb with our run-in to finish top 6, but a great start. 

16 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

When Chris came on he put a beautiful ball through to Jason Knight and another one through to Fozzy for the thrid goal. What damage could he have done in 90 minutes? He still has a role to play here at Derby. Please? Pretty please?

Yeah, forgot about Knighty's penalty claim - definitely a small shove but the ref was letting a certain amount of physicality go.

Enjoyed that - looked in control for most part. Millwall always going to come out start of 2nd half and have a bit of a go.

Thought we looked professional and handled playing '4 quarters' pretty well. 

Individually of course Sibley should take the plaudits - but Bird keeps going under the radar as well, so composed.

Others worth an honourable mention were Waggy - for his sheer physicality and for me - played well and surprised me with his hold up play. Great lay off as well for the 2nd goal.

Fozzy - I thought he was pretty solid all game and still got a great engine. The defence on the whole had it's moments, but the Dutch lad will maybe help solidify that area.

I still stand by that I think next season will be the one where we nail the championship. All signs are good

Not just this game but for quite a few before lockdown the transformation from rowetts dads army , franks loans temps to where we are now and how the future looks is remarkable, sibley is quite a player too and he’s a true ram ,

credit to uncle phil

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

Gary Rowett blaming drinks break and claims they thrive off the crowd. 

Nothing to do with him. That'll be when they win

He also was claiming Sibley should have been sent off ?‍♂️ poohouse.

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Sounds like sssssssour grapes to me from old Snakey. He wouldn't have the first clue how to utilise a talent like Sibbo. Poor lad would end up with neck ache watching all those hoof balls sail over his head. 

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The blokes a clown, his football is awful (unfortunately effective at times).  I’m so Glad it ended the way it did with him, I shudder to think what might be now if he’d stayed......Jerome, up front, on his own ?

Rowett was a regular attendee down at St George's Park to watch the under 18s and 23s but he did very little about the talent he saw. Think he did debut Bird but I think it was just to keep Mel happy.

Cocu has been serious about introducing the younger players and has gone about it impeccably.

44 minutes ago, Andicis said:

What he meant to say was that they had a good go at kicking him off the pitch part way through the second half. Can't say it wasn't expected, though!

I've just caught the goals on EFL having followed the match live on bbc text from the local b&q queue. 

Not many highlights but some nice play from us interspersed with some lumping it around by millwall's behemoths. 

Snakey with his note writing.....?

Dean Ashton quoting Sibleys stats...."3 appearances, 2 starts, 7 shots 4 goals....well that's naughty!" ??

It’s been a strange few months and with the football restart approaching I’ve not been that bothered about it, the thought of football behind closed doors just took me back to that England game recently which was a painful watch. 

However waking up this morning, the pre match nerves were back, my mind was dominated all morning about what team was he going to pick. Then when the match started, didn’t even notice the crowd not being there, I just focussed on the Derby players and the play which when i think about it is exactly what i do when I attend the games anyway.

And then the performance, just watching it back on quest and their summing up was spot on, 2-3 doesn’t tell the story of the game, it wasn’t even close. We were awesome at times, the balance looks spot on, several good performances, one outstanding one. Not seen us score goals like that since Mac 1. Holmes Rooney Lawrence Martin Bogle Wisdom Clarke Knight are all very good players at this level, Bird and Sibley I think could end up at top 4 clubs and could be superstars. Just hope we are established in the premier league when they leave and we get megabucks for them. The two best players to come through at Derby in my lifetime. 

It’s been an excellent day. Sun has shone mostly, I’ve been proudly wearing my Rams shirt in both Stapleford and Beeston today, seen no forest shirts only Derby shirts, nice chat to a couple about the game in a Beeston Sainsbury’s then i check my phone to see the Wendies have equalised against the dogs!! The icing on the cake.

Thank duck football is back!! 

Archived