Star Wars

Day

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Yeah it was teased, now we have confirmation of actors, directors, timeline etc.

Hope they have some flashbacks to Boba escaping the Sarlacc!

Maybe he will end up back there. 

Having watched Mandalorian, and loved it, forced myself to watch the Movies in supposed (episode) order. Nothing in Mandalorian seemed that familiar, however I’m now upto Empire Strikes Back and am spotting things from Mandalorian now! 

Would not say the movies are very clever, if anything the scripts and stories are a bit juvenile and dumb. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Having watched Mandalorian, and loved it, forced myself to watch the Movies in supposed (episode) order. Nothing in Mandalorian seemed that familiar, however I’m now upto Empire Strikes Back and am spotting things from Mandalorian now! 

Would not say the movies are very clever, if anything the scripts and stories are a bit juvenile and dumb. 

If you started from episode one, that would be a fair assessment. 

it’s funny that the first 3 have their critics, and the last 3 certainly do, and a lot of people weren’t too happy with return of the Jedi when it came out. So out of 9 films, there’s only really 2 that are actually universally loved and appreciated. And they’re the oldest two. So all the new dangled technology and big budgets hasn’t really helped it at all. 

more important than the films though is the universe, the history, the mythology that Lucas created. Which allows for a million different stories to be told (hence why we’re getting a million new series). The Skywalker saga is just one story in one period of history in a galaxy far far away. 

On 25/12/2020 at 00:06, TigerTedd said:

If you started from episode one, that would be a fair assessment. 

it’s funny that the first 3 have their critics, and the last 3 certainly do, and a lot of people weren’t too happy with return of the Jedi when it came out. So out of 9 films, there’s only really 2 that are actually universally loved and appreciated. And they’re the oldest two. So all the new dangled technology and big budgets hasn’t really helped it at all. 

more important than the films though is the universe, the history, the mythology that Lucas created. Which allows for a million different stories to be told (hence why we’re getting a million new series). The Skywalker saga is just one story in one period of history in a galaxy far far away. 

I found watching them from 1-9 with my son has changed my opinion of the films. He loved nearly all of them, which def helps have a positive outlook. The newer 3 were a lot more enjoyable than when I first watched them. I didn’t have as many issues with the Last Jedi, and really enjoyed Rise of Skywalker when watching with my lad (thought it was average when watched at cinema)

Interesting how even kids hate Jar Jar and don’t see the point of him. The prequels are not as good as the later 3 either. The original trilogy is slower paced, which is an issue with new audiences, but my boy sat through it well and enjoyed the characters. 

On 24/12/2020 at 22:35, Mostyn6 said:

Not the hugest fan myself but 'juvenile and dumb' seems well over the top to me. Not sure they were necessarily aimed at the older generations for a start and having grossed over USD$10 billion at the box office and god alone knows how much more in merchandising, I think it's fair to say they struck a chord with a good few. 

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not the hugest fan myself but 'juvenile and dumb' seems well over the top to me. Not sure they were necessarily aimed at the older generations for a start and having grossed over USD$10 billion at the box office and god alone knows how much more in merchandising, I think it's fair to say they struck a chord with a good few. 

What people forget is that when they watched the first ones they were kids and loved it. By the time the prequels came out, they’d grown up but Star Wars hadn’t.

32 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

What people forget is that when they watched the first ones they were kids and loved it. By the time the prequels came out, they’d grown up but Star Wars hadn’t.

Exactly - which I why I'm looking forwards to these new tv shows, they have the potential to be edgier or darker than the movies, which were always sci-fi light, good vs evil, family friendly affairs.

The best Star Wars stuff has always been in the Expanded Universe tbh, for any nerds out there such as myself a lot of this stuff is essential reading ?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/07/25/the-best-star-wars-books-of-all-time/

• 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Looking forward to the Book Of Boba Fett now - starting Dec 29th

If only so me and @maxjam can share a thread without arguing ?

Just as soon as you learn you're always wrong ?

This does look like it could be very good though, The Mandalorian was excellent and Boba deserves far more screen time than he got in the movies.  Really looking forwards to this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Stive Pesley and all other Star Wars nerds - just finished binge watching 'The Bad Batch' an animated Star Wars series about a squad of clones after order 66. 

16 episodes all around 30 mins long apart from the 75min opening episode, a couple of weak ones but by and large an excellent show that I will watch at again.  Not gonna give anything away other than if you like Star Wars this is a very good 'fix' to tide you over for a bit.

Series 2 is due next year ? 

46 minutes ago, maxjam said:

@Stive Pesley and all other Star Wars nerds - just finished binge watching 'The Bad Batch' an animated Star Wars series about a squad of clones after order 66. 

16 episodes all around 30 mins long apart from the 75min opening episode, a couple of weak ones but by and large an excellent show that I will watch at again.  Not gonna give anything away other than if you like Star Wars this is a very good 'fix' to tide you over for a bit.

Series 2 is due next year ? 

I watched it with my 6 year old son, and 5 year old daughter. We loved it. Need to get into the clone wars now. 

35 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

I watched it with my 6 year old son, and 5 year old daughter. We loved it. Need to get into the clone wars now. 

Yeah I still need to watch The Clone Wars myself.  I picked The Bad Batch first as I don't generally spend a lot of time watching tv, 16 half hour episodes was a lot more doable than 7 seasons/100+ episodes!