Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

On 08/09/2019 at 20:12, Van Wolfie said:

Man up. 

Romcom. Passed the time well enough & enough chuckles in it but about 10 mins from the end, Mrs Wolfie realised we’d seen it before. 

I couldn’t remember it at all but she’s probably right (usually is), so clearly not a memorable one. 

6/10

Is that a review or a reply to the previous comment?

9 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Yesterday I suddenly got a free month's movies on NowTV which I can't quite understand. But Hey ho, watched a childhood favourite of mine:

The Black Hole.

Very dark for a Disney film. Some of the effects are still impressive but others haven't aged well - especially in HD - but still enjoyable & could really do with a re-make.

7/10

I saw a film called The Black Hole on the internet but it certainly was not Disney.

A Quiet Place

"In a post-apocalyptic world, a family is forced to live in silence while hiding from monsters with ultra-sensitive hearing"

Entertaining and suspenseful thriller. Some annoying silly decisions by the characters along the way (as is usual with these types of film) and one whopping great big one.

Still good on the whole, though.

7/10

Ad Astra 4/10

How do people get money to make some films? I guess people backed this because of the (movie) stars attached: Brad Pitt, Liv Tyler, Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland. 

Not going to give spoilers other than saying what little story there is is totally bonkers and illogical. Some pretty space scenes but didn't find them on a par with other space movies, despite the claims. 

4/10 is quite generous but I want to reward people for at least trying to create a space-based blockbuster. That's probably as good as it gets. 

11 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Joker 9/10

Its not a Marvel movie, there are no special effects, there's no Batman but what you do get is a simple, powerful, character driven story.  Excellent.

Really looking forward to seeing this. 

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

Really looking forward to seeing this. 

If it wasn't for all the culture war crap associated with the film its a nailed on oscar winning performance imo. 

If you've seen the trailers, you've got a good idea of the story - just make sure you avoid spoilers for the final act ?

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

If it wasn't for all the culture war crap associated with the film its a nailed on oscar winning performance imo. 

If you've seen the trailers, you've got a good idea of the story - just make sure you avoid spoilers for the final act ?

I've become very good at avoiding spoilers, often able to go a few months of avoiding Marvel spoilers before I get to see them.

9 hours ago, maxjam said:

Joker 9/10

Its not a Marvel movie, there are no special effects, there's no Batman but what you do get is a simple, powerful, character driven story.  Excellent.

Just seen it, I agree with the 9/10. Wonderful film, had a great atmosphere, Joaquin Phoenix did a great job as the Joker, I probably preferred him in the role than Heath Ledger. 

Best film I've seen this year.

18 hours ago, maxjam said:

Joker 9/10

9 hours ago, Andicis said:

Just seen it, I agree with the 9/10. Wonderful film, had a great atmosphere, Joaquin Phoenix did a great job as the Joker, I probably preferred him in the role than Heath Ledger. 

Best film I've seen this year.

Went to watch Joker last night. Very atmospheric and intense, great lead acting and very well made, but I came away very confused by the story. I’m normally good at processing the story twists but still haven’t with this! 

TomLawrence/10

21 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Went to watch Joker last night. Very atmospheric and intense, great lead acting and very well made, but I came away very confused by the story. I’m normally good at processing the story twists but still haven’t with this! 

TomLawrence/10

I thought it was a very straight forward movie when I came out of the cinema, then the more I thought about it as the day went on the more uncertain I became.  Just watched a 'ending explained' video from The Film Theorists on youtube and am now really confused as to what I actually watched and I'm not sure another viewing would clear it up lol - doesn't change the fact that it was an excellent film ?

Saw the joker last week, excellently made film with  amazing acting....but... I’m not sure how I feel about It being available for anyone to see...It is so so dark and anyone with any mental issues could be I spited to do anything off the back of that. 

We went to see It at the local multiplex and we were greeted by 2 police cars at the entrance and 6 officers inside the foyer...

Joker

Brian Clough/10.

Don't like Marvel stuff, and thought Dark Knight was overrated.

But this... One of the best acting performance in a film I've ever seen.

As a portayal of a madman it's superb and thought the story was strong enough to hold it's own so as not to become completely self-indulgent on Phoenix's part.

The use of music and overall score/sound effects were excellent too and really added to the atmosphere.

Believe the hype.

50 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Joker

Brian Clough/10.

Don't like Marvel stuff, and thought Dark Knight was overrated.

But this... One of the best acting performance in a film I've ever seen.

As a portayal of a madman it's superb and thought the story was strong enough to hold it's own so as not to become completely self-indulgent on Phoenix's part.

The use of music and overall score/sound effects were excellent too and really added to the atmosphere.

Believe the hype.

Did you find it dark or depressing, and what are your thoughts on the violence?

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Did you find it dark or depressing, and what are your thoughts on the violence?

It is hardboiled, and makes you think. I think most right-minded folk will be able to take it for what it is - a film, and there was to be no haunting or nightmares over it. I do wonder if it would have the same impact on someone already in a depressed state or in a fragile state of mind though. For me I was able to laugh at certain parts (albeit perhaps not completely without a tinge of unsuredness as to whether that was the intention of the scene).

That said I was surprised it's only a 15 - the violence isn't present the whole film, popping up in a handful of scenes, but it is done in a way that is almost without cinematic impact and is just allowed to be shown for what it is and is pretty brutal.

American theatres having to have armed police outside screenings just shows how dicked up the world is, rather than being any comment on the film.

I'd say it is more akin to Taxi Driver than Dark Knight.

Edited by JoetheRam

On 07/10/2019 at 17:22, MuespachRam said:

Saw the joker last week, excellently made film with  amazing acting....but... I’m not sure how I feel about It being available for anyone to see...It is so so dark and anyone with any mental issues could be I spited to do anything off the back of that. 

We went to see It at the local multiplex and we were greeted by 2 police cars at the entrance and 6 officers inside the foyer...

El Camino 8/10

Not worth watching if you haven’t seen Breaking Bad, in fact I would strongly advise against it. The film is to give closure with what happened to Jesse, it does that but it also feels left open for further films or even a series spin off if Netflix choose to milk it, which is a strong possibility.