Rate the last film you saw partie deux

Ovis aries

A Good Nurse - Netflix.  Based on the true story of serial killer Charles Cullen. 

Both Jessica Chastain and Eddie Redmayne are excellent in their portrayals of the principle characters, Chastain especially.

A solid 8/10

If hospital dramas are your cup of tea then try Paper Mask (1990) with Paul McGann, fictional one this time though, would rate that the same. 

Hadn't heard of Charles Cullen before - scary stuff.

Old

I've seen some really good and some awful Syamalan films, so was a bit nervous about this one.

A group of people have a day away from their holiday complex on a beach they cannot escape from and then start ageing rapidly....

Interesting premise and decent enough plot. Some really iffy script, though.

Not bad. 6.5/10

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Old

I've seen some really good and some awful Syamalan films, so was a bit nervous about this one.

A group of people have a day away from their holiday complex on a beach they cannot escape from and then start ageing rapidly....

Interesting premise and decent enough plot. Some really iffy script, though.

Not bad. 6.5/10

I watched this and instantly forgot it. Not sure I’d score it higher than 4/10. Or in proper measure 

Lee Croft/10

All Quiet on the Western Front 

The 2022 version, directed by Edward Berger.

A man's uniform was worth more than the person wearing it.

A sickening, harrowing and utterly spellbinding view of trench warfare. A slightly more graphic version even than the 1930 one directed by Lewis Milestone (which in itself was probably the most graphic depiction of warfare that had ever been made up to that time).

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

A sickening, harrowing and utterly spellbinding view of trench warfare. A slightly more graphic version even than the 1930 one directed by Lewis Milestone (which in itself was probably the most graphic depiction of warfare that had ever been made up to that time).

Yep, With the dead German soldiers uniforms being sent back home to be repaired then given to new recruits...still with bloodstains on them.

Master and Commander...the far side of the world...with Russell Crowe playing the lead role, Napoleonic war drama of one British ship chasing a French ship off the coast of Brazil...very good realistic scenes of cannon fire smashing into each others ships ?

I got halfway through...then realised I'd seen this before ?, Getting old does have It's advantages ?

Edited by Unlucky Alf

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Good review!

It felt to me like a cross between a documentary and Sam Mendes' '1917'.

Unflinching and grim, with human stories but without losing that bleak vision of an almost emotionless sea of death at times.

Wakanda Forever (Black Panther 2) - ok, grew up on Marvel comics and do enjoy the films, obviously some more than others.

Tributes to Chadwick Boseman very respectful and well done by MCU. 

Angela Bassett - excellent performance but then she is an excellect actor.

Film itself - introduces a few new characters to us which is the usual thing nowadays, runtime seems way too long for a conflict that makes little sense with no real conclusion. Effects good, action sequences good (although these are few and far between and also quite short). Just seems a very weak storyline and almost as if it was a film made just for the sake of making one. Humour falls flat when attempted. Maybe Marvel have lost their touch lately, Thor - Love and Thunder was more of a comedy than anything else with a very under used Christian Bale who was the only redeeming feature in that one for me.

A very average 5/10

17 hours ago, Baj said:

Wakanda Forever (Black Panther 2) - ok, grew up on Marvel comics and do enjoy the films, obviously some more than others.

Tributes to Chadwick Boseman very respectful and well done by MCU. 

Angela Bassett - excellent performance but then she is an excellect actor.

Film itself - introduces a few new characters to us which is the usual thing nowadays, runtime seems way too long for a conflict that makes little sense with no real conclusion. Effects good, action sequences good (although these are few and far between and also quite short). Just seems a very weak storyline and almost as if it was a film made just for the sake of making one. Humour falls flat when attempted. Maybe Marvel have lost their touch lately, Thor - Love and Thunder was more of a comedy than anything else with a very under used Christian Bale who was the only redeeming feature in that one for me.

A very average 5/10

The first movie was one of the best of the marvel epics, so this is a shame. I've given up on their movies because the last half dozen I've seen have been garbage. Quite like some of the series though - Mando and Bobs Fett pretty watchable.

Eastern Promises on Netflix.  Excellent in so many ways, a slow burn at just the right temperature.  Viggo Mortensen and Vincent Cassel are standouts in a generally very good cast.  Dark and brooding, emotional without sentimentalism, stark and brutal.  One scene was unbelievably well done, had me gaping at the realism.  Didn't know Cronenberg had this in him.  Without hesitation, a 9/10 from me.

7 hours ago, ramit said:

Eastern Promises on Netflix.  Excellent in so many ways, a slow burn at just the right temperature.  Viggo Mortensen and Vincent Cassel are standouts in a generally very good cast.  Dark and brooding, emotional without sentimentalism, stark and brutal.  One scene was unbelievably well done, had me gaping at the realism.  Didn't know Cronenberg had this in him.  Without hesitation, a 9/10 from me.

I'll endorse that too - very good film. 

On 18/11/2022 at 09:54, Chester40 said:

Good review!

It felt to me like a cross between a documentary and Sam Mendes' '1917'.

Unflinching and grim, with human stories but without losing that bleak vision of an almost emotionless sea of death at times.

Watched this last night. I agree with both of you. 

On the subject of realistic and thought-provoking war films, anyone who hasn't seen the two companion films about the Battle of Iwo Jima directed by Clint Eastwood, "Flags of Our Fathers" and "Letters From Iwo Jima", really should. Both are stunning, but the latter, viewed from the Japanese perspective, is an absolute classic. 

On 18/11/2022 at 01:50, Eddie said:

Watched most of it last night (still have the last 20 minutes to get through).

And yeah, ditto asper @Crewtonand @Chester40. Very good but not sure I'm a happier person for watching it.

Paul Goddard/10

On 27/11/2022 at 00:08, ramit said:

Went to watch it...not on Netflix☹️

8 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Went to watch it...not on Netflix☹️

i just checked on Netflix, it is still there.  Perhaps you have a different version of Netflix than is offered in Iceland, hopefully someone better in the know can explain this apparent omission.

4 minutes ago, ramit said:

i just checked on Netflix, it is still there.  Perhaps you have a different version of Netflix than is offered in Iceland, hopefully someone better in the know can explain this apparent omission.

Each country has different offerings. Some movies will be in multiple regions but a lot are sold or rights granted by territory in exactly the same way as terrestrial TV. 

35 minutes ago, ramit said:

I checked search and it said  "We don't have Eastern Promisses but these are similar"

I'll try Farm Foods they have a bigger selection ?