Music Derby have run out to

Joeheadland

We had The Clash White Riot for a while which was wonderful, is wonderful and was probably replaced due to someone perhaps thinking it promotes white rioting or it was probably replaced due to someone thinking it was replaced due to the lack of white rioting it caused or didn't cause or perhaps due to, I think you get the drift..............

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm convinced DCFC came out to 'Spudnik' by the Ventures around the early sixties, I was in the boys pen at the BBG at the time so my memory is a little bit cloudy!!!

It was a futuristic instramental, which was Number 1 in 1962

Can anyone confirm

3 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I say bring back the Dambusters March......Guy Gibson's watching!

Also, Barnes Wallis was a Derbyshire lad too

Not for me. That tune will always be associated with Leeds. "We all ******** hate Leeds" were the only words we ever sang as far as I remember. We can't have our anthem/tune to run out to being about Leeds. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone for commenting and sharing your memories, its invaluable to the project. 

To answer a few questions... In terms of the funding of the study (and the wasting tax payers money ? ), these studies have very little costs, and any costs they do incur are funded through statistical training courses Chris runs privately. This is essentially a hobby project - Chris's day to day work is in statistics for far more worthy causes such as workplace related health, Nick's a teacher, and I work for a running company. 

The reason we're doing this study is because we're football fans who are all interested in the game and what it says about the wider culture we live in. We're not only interested in what the music is/was, but the why - we're keen to see how changes in style, type of music used relate to a club's status, wider music fashions, the wider fashionability of football, how clubs have attempted to commodify the match going experience and the battle between globalism/localism.  

If anyone else has any other songs to share please let me know. If you remember roughly what season a song was played in that's very helpful too!

Once again, thanks for all your help, 

Cheers

I think what you're doing is totally worthwhile and especially given your explanation of context. Anything which contributes towards recording the collective history of our nation's famous sport is a good cause. Very easy to grumble and chunter about it but ultimately this information will be used by future generations to paint a picture of the past.

On 08/03/2020 at 09:23, Inverurie Ram said:

We had The Clash White Riot for a while which was wonderful, is wonderful and was probably replaced due to someone perhaps thinking it promotes white rioting or it was probably replaced due to someone thinking it was replaced due to the lack of white rioting it caused or didn't cause or perhaps due to, I think you get the drift..............

Well, when the opening verse is "White riot, I want to riot, White riot, a riot of our own" you can see their point. 

All japes aside, loved when we used this and I agree, someone got told by someone, who got told by someone, who got told by someone that it was a bit contraversial and we went back to awful, awful, awful Chas and Dave wankery that is SBW.

On 08/03/2020 at 14:00, Tamworthram said:

Not for me. That tune will always be associated with Leeds. "We all ******** hate Leeds" were the only words we ever sang as far as I remember. We can't have our anthem/tune to run out to being about Leeds. 

Can’t agree with the above, it was used from the 1950’s onwards, it’s a march and was not meant to be sung along to so way before any Leeds connections. It was original to us and not copied like a lot of the modern stuff. I agree with oldtimeram, bring it back.

Derby County should have a song the the club is synonymous with - most other clubs do and although Derby do have ‘Steve Bloomers watching’, very few other clubs ir football fans generally, won’t have a clue who he was, or be interested in finding out about him.  Nearly all other clubs seem to have adopted a popular ‘chart’ song from the 60’s or 70’s - we generally know what they all are. 
ive thought for many many years that Derby should have had one too - for me it has to be catchy, a bit corny, rhythmic, easy to sing, east to learn and sound good sung en mass.  The only song I think fits the bill is very synonymous with Derbyshire as a County, Hi Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck ((1967) was and remains a very popular song in the county, always gets played at functions, always got everyone up dancing and people always  changed the words to Hi Ho Derby County. 

I'm sure there are many people, particularly younger supporters will disagree, but it needs to fit in from the same 60’s/70’s era of music. 

peolle will say it’s naff, but that’s the whole point of it and synonymous with Derby County ?

On 07/03/2020 at 07:44, Joeheadland said:

Hi everyone, 

I hope this okay to post here, moderators please move or delete if you need to. 

I’m part of a team at the University of Sheffield, led by Dr Chris 
Stride. We've published a number of academic papers and magazine 
articles relating to football history, on subjects such as statues and 
replica shirts (see, for example sportingstatues.com, and 
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2019.1578255).

Our current project is investigating the music that football teams have 
run or walked out of the tunnel to over the years.

We are looking for the music that Derby have run out to, for as 
many seasons in the past as you can recall. We are simply interested in 
the title of the song, the artist who recorded it, and for which seasons 
Derby ran out to this.
Any help you can give us to 
piece together the different songs that your club has run out to would 
be hugely appreciated.

If you have any personal anecdotes around the reasons for the songs 
being used, or the changes between them, that would also be fantastic.

I should also add that we are not interested in goal music, or a song 
that is played at the final whistle, but just the song that is on the 
tannoy system as the players enter the field.

If you think someone else may be able to help, or you have any 
questions, please let us know!  We would be very happy to discuss the 
project.

Cheers

Joe Headland

2 hours ago, Reg Matthew's Cap said:

Can’t agree with the above, it was used from the 1950’s onwards, it’s a march and was not meant to be sung along to so way before any Leeds connections. It was original to us and not copied like a lot of the modern stuff. I agree with oldtimeram, bring it back.

Maybe that's when it originated but, it doesn't matter what it was or wasn't meant to be sung along to are you confident that the crowd, or at least a good proportion of it, wouldn't break into "we all clucking hate Leeds"? Not what I want to hear every week when OUR team run out. Don't bring it back.

1 hour ago, Keepyuppy said:

Derby County should have a song the the club is synonymous with - most other clubs do and although Derby do have ‘Steve Bloomers watching’, very few other clubs ir football fans generally, won’t have a clue who he was, or be interested in finding out about him.  Nearly all other clubs seem to have adopted a popular ‘chart’ song from the 60’s or 70’s - we generally know what they all are. 
ive thought for many many years that Derby should have had one too - for me it has to be catchy, a bit corny, rhythmic, easy to sing, east to learn and sound good sung en mass.  The only song I think fits the bill is very synonymous with Derbyshire as a County, Hi Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck ((1967) was and remains a very popular song in the county, always gets played at functions, always got everyone up dancing and people always  changed the words to Hi Ho Derby County. 

I'm sure there are many people, particularly younger supporters will disagree, but it needs to fit in from the same 60’s/70’s era of music. 

peolle will say it’s naff, but that’s the whole point of it and synonymous with Derby County ?

I am sorry but I almost totally disagree with this post.

I think having our own song - Steve's Bloomers watching is so much better than using some poppie chart song - Blue Moon, Deliah, etc.etc. with an extremely tenuous link.

"very few other clubs ir football fans generally, won’t have a clue who he was, or be interested in finding out about him."

So What !! I do not care about other clubs, and even less will be interested in finding out about this Derby Legend if we do not sing it ...

Personally I think a purpose made song about a Derby Legend puts us in a lucky position - I just wish more would learn the words - or put them on the programme get the whole place singing it ...

Nothing personal just a totlly opposite point of view lol

Archived