Music Derby have run out to

Joeheadland

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Maybe that's when it originated but, it doesn't matter what it was or wasn't meant to be sung along to are you confident that the crowd, or at least a good proportion of it, wouldn't break into "we all clucking hate Leeds"? Not what I want to hear every week when OUR team run out. Don't bring it back.

Maybe it’s too much to ask for some of today’s fans to respect of tradition of our club using it, me I’d play it loud and drown em out!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, angieram said:

And Sheffield Wednesday. 

I do like trying to drown out the home fans when it's on, but it's not our song.

Remember Wednesday originated everything - probably even Bloomer's Watching ?‍♂️

Seriously though, if not Bloomer's then Dambusters is the one I think of the most. And I don't even mind the "we hate Leeds/Reds" lyrics.

I'm all for tradition ?

I think Reg Matthews Cap might have misremembered the antiquity of the March. I was a regular in the Boys Enclosure (admission 9 pennies) in the late Fifties and early Sixties and the song on the loudspeaker was an awful scratchy number sung by someone (pre-War) with an impossibly plummy voice. The chorus went something like:

'Here's to the County/Cheers to the County/Let's hear the Derby Roar/The people are a-cheerin'/A-shoutin' and a-cheerin'/'When Derby COUNTY SCORE.'

It was dreadful. Brought up on Elvis & The Beatles, the Boys Enclosure couldn't stand it. We all joined in the chorus and sang the last line painfully flat. And then collapsed with laughter - the joke that keep on giving.

Not sure the year exactly, early on at pride park, but we had ‘one vision’ by queen. Was an edited version that had the opening bars play for an eternity, with the guitar finally kicking in when the teams came out. Only vividly remember it ‘cos the intro rang for so long with the sort of ominous “ohhh ummm” on loop.

9 hours ago, Michael Bloor said:

I think Reg Matthews Cap might have misremembered the antiquity of the March. I was a regular in the Boys Enclosure (admission 9 pennies) in the late Fifties and early Sixties and the song on the loudspeaker was an awful scratchy number sung by someone (pre-War) with an impossibly plummy voice. The chorus went something like:

'Here's to the County/Cheers to the County/Let's hear the Derby Roar/The people are a-cheerin'/A-shoutin' and a-cheerin'/'When Derby COUNTY SCORE.'

It was dreadful. Brought up on Elvis & The Beatles, the Boys Enclosure couldn't stand it. We all joined in the chorus and sang the last line painfully flat. And then collapsed with laughter - the joke that keep on giving.

I can’t remember the version you mention and am not suggesting anything like that, my point was that it shouldn’t have words, I’ve mentioned before that if the Dam Busters is used it should be one of the more rousing versions.

l’m with IslandExile on this let’s keep with tradition.

• 5 months later...

Or this...

Crawling though the dirt, you heard our prayers
Sticks and stones may hurt, but we don't care
And we won't back down this time (no we won't, no we won't)
No, we won't back down this time

We are unstoppable
No, we can't be defeated
We are unstoppable
No, we don't need a reason
We are unstoppable...

U2 - where the streets have no name 

used it during the John Gregory era, remember it well as it was my first ever Derby game against Blackburn. We won 2-1 and Ravanelli scored a filthy free kick. 

was right behind the goal, lovely 

Archived