Coronavirus

1of4

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed.

75,024 deaths from 2,654,779 CONFIRMED cases is 2.8% not 3%, surprised to see you pulling Albert up on this though.

It's acceptable to round to the nearest. It's not to round away from the nearest, which was done on this thread previously.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

It's acceptable to round to the nearest. It's not to round away from the nearest, which was done on this thread previously.

Thank you for confirming what is and is not acceptable.

On a worldwide population of 7.8bn though, that 0.2% equates to over 15m.

Need to make sure we are getting the figures correct. 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

I've had 3 weeks off for good behaviour, and I for one am THRILLED to see this thread is still going strong

Still in its original form too. No crossing over to the other side, nobody convinced by counter-arguments.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed.

75,024 deaths from 2,654,779 CONFIRMED cases is 2.8% not 3%, surprised to see you pulling Albert up on this though.

Of course, this doesn't take into account the numbers who have the virus but haven't died from it yet. The deaths follow later (by which time, of course, more will have contracted the virus, then more will die).

42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Agreed.

@Archied gave a value to 1 significant figure, so I responded with the current value to 1 significant figure. This is pretty standard stuff, surprised you're struggling with it. 

24 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Of course, this doesn't take into account the numbers who have the virus but haven't died from it yet. The deaths follow later (by which time, of course, more will have contracted the virus, then more will die).

Nor the cases which have not officially confirmed...

6 minutes ago, Albert said:

@Archied gave a value to 1 significant figure, so I responded with the current value to 1 significant figure. This is pretty standard stuff, surprised you're struggling with it. 

Struggling with it ?

Potentially overstating worldwide deaths by up to 15m doesnt sound very standard to me.

Dont know if it's allowed in this thread or we have to stick to the petty jibes and requests for facts and figures but it seems the only way we are going to end lockdown in through an effective vaccination process.

It seems surprising that we are sitting here with potentially millions of vaccines becoming available without the infrastructure to deliver them. Surely it would have seemed sensible to recruit and plan for this eventually and to get as many people jabbed as possible ?

7 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Dont know if it's allowed in this thread or we have to stick to the petty jibes and requests for facts and figures but it seems the only way we are going to end lockdown in through an effective vaccination process.

It seems surprising that we are sitting here with potentially millions of vaccines becoming available without the infrastructure to deliver them. Surely it would have seemed sensible to recruit and plan for this eventually and to get as many people jabbed as possible ?

We are on the next leg of guff and counter guff , gov claims we can roll it out double quick , gov claims vaccine shortage , vaccine company denies this and blames gove , India meanwhile allegedly have already manufactured and stockpiled 50 mill doses under licence, gov changes the vaccine developers instructions on use , meanwhile no real will to attempt to at least start to bolster the nhs amid far better treatment s bringing deaths much much lower ,

I admire people’s optimism that we are on the way out of this ,I really do but I just don’t share it and I also don’t care about conspiracy theorist far right guff , when the dust settles there’s going to be a money trail and it’s not going to run along the follow the science trail

55 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Effective vaccination process sounds good. So does an effective vaccine.

I don't have much faith in either unfortunately. Not based on anything other than my usual pessimistic outlook!

12 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Effective vaccination process sounds good. So does an effective vaccine.

I don't have much faith in either unfortunately. Not based on anything other than my usual pessimistic outlook!

Heck that is pessimistic if you have no faith in the vaccine. We’re all doomed.

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Scotland gone into lockdown, legal requirement to stay at home, sure we will follow soon. Sad times....

I dont know how much difference it is to Tier 4? Schools of course but things like work from home is possible message remains the same.

2 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

I dont know how much difference it is to Tier 4? Schools of course but things like work from home is possible message remains the same.

Quite a bit for us, in addition to school, we have numerous other activities, albeit mostly involving football. I reckon it will be out last Derby session tonight, weekend matches cancelled, wife is a teacher so she will be at home.

Mind you I'm supposed to be self isolating, so I suppose it will ensure I do...

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Quite a bit for us, in addition to school, we have numerous other activities, albeit mostly involving football. I reckon it will be out last Derby session tonight, weekend matches cancelled, wife is a teacher so she will be at home.

Mind you I'm supposed to be self isolating, so I suppose it will ensure I do...

Yeah i guess outdoor activities and stuff.

I guess also depends if the definition of 'essential' changes with Tier 4 to Lockdown.

Im shielding so from a personal perspective it wont change, and my wife cant work from home fully, though she may be able to do some.

Archived