Coronavirus

1of4

27 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

"Derby County can confirm that several first-team staff members and players have tested positive for COVID-19."

"In accordance with Derby County and EFL COVID-19 protocol, the club’s Moor Farm training ground has been closed with immediate effect.
In addition, the club is in dialogue with the EFL and Football Association in relation to upcoming fixtures."

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2021/01/Derby-county-covid-19-update-4th-january-2021

This doesn't sound good. Not convinced this season will be completed. 

Let's hope everyone is okay. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Perhaps you should have run for election then. Polish that crystal ball. If only you were the top dog eh. 
they have made mistakes but just about everyone has. 

??? You taking the piss?

They’ve made mistakes that have led us to be one of the worst affected countries in the world. Their handling of this pandemic has been generally, abysmal, thank duck this vaccine is being rolled out, otherwise we’d be ducked.

Not saying I’d do a better job, what an immature comment for you to make. The point is we’ve handled it atrociously. 

42 minutes ago, Albert said:

I didn't do that though, you did. 

You use numbers to an appropriate significant for context. In the context discussed, it was 1 significant figure, as that's what was presented. 

10 year olds can get this stuff, I'm genuinely surprised you can't. 

To be fair I had to get my 8 year old to work out the actual figure of 2.8%, let me know if you need him to calculate any future figures for you.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

My kids were in school today with 30 other children in their class apiece. Tomorrow they are told not to come in to keep social contact down. 

That is mind boggling, rank incompetence. 

Yes that was very special .  Even slightly more special than letting every one go mad in pre and after Christmas sales, just a few days after advising a 70% more transmittable strain was here, then coming on TV telling everyone we had to re-double  efforts to control things at new year.  

I've given up.  Just missed getting this thing by the skin of my teeth 3 times in the last month, self isolated for 10 days over Christmas. The lack of lockdown we should have had from November has pushed us to the point of panic jabbing vaccine in a way it wasn't designed for as a desperate last attempt to stop Armageddon.  

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair I had to get my 8 year old to work out the actual figure of 2.8%, let me know if you need him to calculate any future figures for you.

Given you're being pedantic, you should actually deal with this properly. The actual figure, given the numbers you used of 2,654,779 cases and 75,024 deaths, would be 2.8260%, as we're working from data of 5 significant figures. There are other conventions, but this one is pretty standard. 

To put it your way, that 0.0260% difference over 7,840,000,000 (3 significant figures to match percentage) is 2.04 million people, which is a pretty significant underestimate. 

Maybe you should practice basic numeracy, rather than relying on your 8 year old. 

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Yes that was very special .  Even slightly more special than letting every one go mad in pre and after Christmas sales, just a few days after advising a 70% more transmittable strain was here, then coming on TV telling everyone we had to re-double  efforts to control things at new year.  

I've given up.  Just missed getting this thing by the skin of my teeth 3 times in the last month, self isolated for 10 days over Christmas. The lack of lockdown we should have had from November has pushed us to the point of panic jabbing vaccine in a way it wasn't designed for as a desperate last attempt to stop Armageddon.  

They should have locked down in September as advised, and closed the damn borders properly, following the best practice of 14 days of mandatory quarantine for all arrivals, with day 2 and 12 testing. 

They should have had a more cautious approach to reopening in the first place, and taken advantage of the good position the first lockdown got the country into. 

They shouldn't have opened schools, universities and such, as it's been well known for months that they've been major drivers of infection.

They should have been working to a coherent plan, rather than flailing about randomly. Where the UK is now is exactly what I was worried about all those months ago when we had a select few on here saying 'there's no second wave', 'there won't be any deaths', etc. This is the worst case scenario we feared, and the incompetency and panic shown by the government now looks like it's going to ruin the vaccine rollout too by not following the required directions. They're, in effect, conducting a new phase three trial on the whole UK population by spreading out the second dose. 

It's an utter shambles from top to bottom, and honestly, I'm stunned that a government could be so incompetent as to allow schools to go back for one day, then locking down. There's clearly no plan here. 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Of course I understand the purpose of the opposition - to oppose the government when you disagree, to promote your party policies and support the people that voted for you and your policies. 

I just agree with essentially what he is saying. Now is not the time to lay into the government if you agree with the current proposal to deal with a national emergency - that time will come and I'm sure it won't be long before he holds the government and it's previous decisions to account. 

Here's what he could have said:

We unequivocally support the decision by Boris Johnson's government to enforce a lockdown and we urge every British citizen to obey the law and stay safe for the good of the NHS and our country.

However, we strongly protest at the way the government led by Mr. Johnson has dealt with this issue and constantly changed his mind on an almost daily basis, unlike the leaders of the devolved nations. His handling has been nothing short of shambolic.

However, we will take this matter up again in Parliament and pursue accountability after we are through these dreadful times. And we once again urge people to support a lockdown and do their civic duty for the benefit of themselves, their loved ones and the country as a whole.

See, it's easy to agree and protest at the same time.

Hi all. I've not been on here for a few months. I work in a secondary school and contracted covid-19 in October as did several colleagues and dozens of young people at school, and subsequently, so did many families and the knock on effect to the local community was huge. I'm just about recovered from it but this thing is the absolute pits if you are unlucky enough to get it. It is awful. My brother, sister in law and some friends not connected with my work also tested positive and were laid low with it too. Finally, over Christmas, a close relative contracted it and died. Not looking for sympathy. Just stating some human facts rather than statistics and numbers that seem to be the conversation on here currently. I've not read back through the last few pages because I can't be bothered. Stay safe everybody and if anyone tries to tell you it's a hoax, tell them to **** off.

18 minutes ago, Albert said:

Given you're being pedantic, you should actually deal with this properly. The actual figure, given the numbers you used of 2,654,779 cases and 75,024 deaths, would be 2.8260%, as we're working from data of 5 significant figures. There are other conventions, but this one is pretty standard. 

To put it your way, that 0.0260% difference over 7,840,000,000 (3 significant figures to match percentage) is 2.04 million people, which is a pretty significant underestimate. 

Maybe you should practice basic numeracy, rather than relying on your 8 year old. 

Dont know why you are getting angry at me, it was @GboroRamthat mentioned the bad maths.

19 minutes ago, Bearwood Ram said:

Hi all. I've not been on here for a few months. I work in a secondary school and contracted covid-19 in October as did several colleagues and dozens of young people at school, and subsequently, so did many families and the knock on effect to the local community was huge. I'm just about recovered from it but this thing is the absolute pits if you are unlucky enough to get it. It is awful. My brother, sister in law and some friends not connected with my work also tested positive and were laid low with it too. Finally, over Christmas, a close relative contracted it and died. Not looking for sympathy. Just stating some human facts rather than statistics and numbers that seem to be the conversation on here currently. I've not read back through the last few pages because I can't be bothered. Stay safe everybody and if anyone tries to tell you it's a hoax, tell them to **** off.

Sorry to hear that mate, but glad you're ok. 

it does annoy me how some people dismiss what's happening because it's not happened to them. 

I'm glad you posted your experience. 

In the last 2 days 3 people who received Pfizer Covid19 vaccine in Iceland have died.  Doctors say that it cannot be determined whether they died as a result of taking the vaccine, or some underlying age linked medical condition.

1 hour ago, Bearwood Ram said:

Sounds awful, glad you are recovered but sorry for your loss.

47 minutes ago, ramit said:

In the last 2 days 3 people who received Pfizer Covid19 vaccine in Iceland have died.  Doctors say that it cannot be determined whether they died as a result of taking the vaccine, or some underlying age linked medical condition.

Source? I know there was someone who died suddenly in Portugal, but that's still under investigation. 

You expect a few people out of a large set to die of other causes, but it's best with these kinds of things to wait. 

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Here's what he could have said:

We unequivocally support the decision by Boris Johnson's government to enforce a lockdown and we urge every British citizen to obey the law and stay safe for the good of the NHS and our country.

However, we strongly protest at the way the government led by Mr. Johnson has dealt with this issue and constantly changed his mind on an almost daily basis, unlike the leaders of the devolved nations. His handling has been nothing short of shambolic.

However, we will take this matter up again in Parliament and pursue accountability after we are through these dreadful times. And we once again urge people to support a lockdown and do their civic duty for the benefit of themselves, their loved ones and the country as a whole.

See, it's easy to agree and protest at the same time.

If he done that though, some Tories would have still accused him of playing politics. He could have stuck the knife in more, but there was possibly more to lose than the upside of criticising a fully exposed charlatan.

15 minutes ago, Albert said:

Source? I know there was someone who died suddenly in Portugal, but that's still under investigation. 

You expect a few people out of a large set to die of other causes, but it's best with these kinds of things to wait. 

I've just checked a few Icelandic news websites, and there's nothing. 

The nearest I could find was this from Reuters last month.

I'm looking forward to see if we will get a tier 6 or 7 by the end of the month, this government seem to be pulling restrictions out of their backside at the minute. Seems very hap hazard and nonsensical and it wouldn't surprise me if we were on our 7th lockdown by next Christmas.  There's no end date it seems and they keep pulling restrictions out their arses with no transparency in what is actually going to happen just blind faith in the vaccines. 

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Yes, I heard about a similar (isolated) death in Switzerland. But I expect that this sort of news will only be a concern to those who don’t realise that the groups of people who are first in line for the vaccine in Iceland, Switzerland, Portugal or elsewhere will continue to die at the same rate - unrelated to the vaccine.

Deaths and adverse events linked in time with the administration of ‘any’ vaccine are thoroughly investigated in the UK even when a causal link seems very unlikely and I’d be surprised if the same investigations don’t take place in other European countries.

Archived