Coronavirus

1of4

9 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

For me the argument doesnt make sense.

Ok, i get the sentiment, but the shopping experience is different. Take books and clothes as an example, if you go into town to waterstones, or clothes shopping, its more of a browsing experience, part of the experience is the looking, touching and spending time before you buy, if indeed you do buy.

In somewhere like Asda, its more of a convenience, you dont go to Asda tospend a couple of hours looking round books and clothes, often you have in mind what you want, its something you drop in your trolley as you go around.

And quite why cleaning materials are not classed as essential is beyond me.

And clothing and lighting.

I assume the police would be unable to arrest you if you rocked up at a restaurant naked?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

It's absurd to stop supermarkets from selling a relatively small selection of non essential goods. Just causes resentment, makes the policy look ridiculous and likely would drive noncompliance in other areas. 

It also begs the question, who determines what is essential?

Maybe you're now locked away on your own for two weeks and a good book would help see you through it.

‘Mark Drakeford (born 19 September 1954[citation needed]) is a Welsh dictator who has been First Minister of Walesand Leader of the Welsh Labour Partysince 2018. He served as Cabinet’

from his Wikipedia entry - see someone’s been having fun 

If I lived in Wales

my favourite brand of pickled onions is Barry Normans 

this product is in relatively limited distribution but it’s the only brand I can eat

It’s a food item and for me it’s essential as I can’t eat cheese without a few Barry normans on the side 

so I’m out driving across South Wales trying to find a stockist for my essential food item 

I’ve been out driving for hours from shop to shop trying to locate my essential food item with no luck 

I’m stopped by the police fifty miles from home and asked why I’m out of the house and recount the above story and we debate at the roadside whether my pickled onion hunt is a reasonable excuse within the rules issued by the welsh govt 

In the seventies this could have been a monty python sketch

p.s is the term welsh government an oxymoron 

1 hour ago, Monty said:

If I lived in Wales

my favourite brand of pickled onions is Barry Normans 

this product is in relatively limited distribution but it’s the only brand I can eat

It’s a food item and for me it’s essential as I can’t eat cheese without a few Barry normans on the side 

so I’m out driving across South Wales trying to find a stockist for my essential food item 

I’ve been out driving for hours from shop to shop trying to locate my essential food item with no luck 

I’m stopped by the police fifty miles from home and asked why I’m out of the house and recount the above story and we debate at the roadside whether my pickled onion hunt is a reasonable excuse within the rules issued by the welsh govt 

In the seventies this could have been a monty python sketch

p.s is the term welsh government an oxymoron 

picture the scene..

police 'you cant drive round all day looking for pickled onions '

your reply...'and why not?'

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Interested to hear your thoughts on this @Albert, Vallance doesn't think it'd be possible to eliminate covid in the UK.

He can think what he wants, but there exist a number of countries that have effectively eliminated it. He makes two arguments against the idea. The first is that 'it'll come back' noting that other areas will still have it, as we've already discussed. As noted that countries are successfully fighting that issue as well. 

The second point about there only being 1 disease that's truly been eradicated is an interesting one to hear from him on many levels. First of all, there is a big difference between elimination and eradication. There are plenty of diseases that are eliminated in most regions, and this has massive positive benefits for the people there. The issue is the lack of global will to help out the developing world to achieve the same universally, though there are a number of diseases that are on the way to full elimination.

Eradication also begins with elimination, and doing so prior to a vaccine would give the World a massive head start in the process. This also gives a fallback in the case of no vaccine, where the move can be to then support the nations that have failed against the virus in order to move towards a vaccineless eradication, which while never done, isn't notionally impossible. 

As to why Vallance is pushing this notion decide there being places that have successfully eliminated the virus, well, he was an advocate for herd immunity in the early days of the pandemic. He backflipped on this, when the government did. Take from that what you will. 

On 23/10/2020 at 10:36, 1of4 said:

I wish people would stop referring to it as the failing NHS test and trace. When it's private companies like Serco, who are the people responsible for running it. I wonder why Johnson isn't calling them a failure. As for the Baroness Dido Harding, why is she still in a job but more of a concern should be why was she put charge in the first place? Friends in high places maybe!

She’s no angel that Dido.

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

Nobody on here has said anything like that Eddie.

There are a few who have certainly aimed in that direction - those who advocate 'permanent' shielding for the vulnerable while the rest go back to 'normal' are doing so for a start, as are those who have a soft spot for 'herd immunity'. They are not using the words I did, but I never was partial to sugar-coating (except for M&Ms).

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Here is a new paper published in Nature discussing modelling around near Universal mask usage. It's worth taking the time to read it in full if you're interested in the topic. It's about the USA, who have also been having another serious flare up of the disease. 

There are some seriously scary numbers in that study. I only skimmed it tonight, but I'll give it a serious look tomorrow.

Have read a couple of reports that if you have had the Pneumonia Jab this may offer some protection against Covid19, in addition some reports to suggest this years flu jab may as it helps train T-Cells to fight infections.

Also reports continue that the vaccine could be available 'to some' by the end of the year.

Still early days of course, but one has to hold on to hope that 2021 is going to be a better year.

Archived