Coronavirus

1of4

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

Students fined for a mass gathering and trying to hide 30 other students in  their kitchen and bedrooms. Stupid behaviour that was rightly stamped on as a deterrent to other half-wits who may be considering the same thing. It is a lot of money, tough luck, it should hurt. 
Ferrier will lose her career for her stupidity. 
Cummings didn’t break the law, although the spirit wasn’t great. The takeaway knows the law and I would bet there is much more to it than just the four minutes. 
Let’s have more big fines, if that is what it takes to make people take notice of their responsibilities. 

Wow, there is someone who has never done anything wrong in their life.

If I was in halls at University, pretty much locked in already, paying vast amounts for online lessons, with the virus hard to control already and very little chance it would actually even affect me...believe me I would have stuck two fingers up and had a good time too.  

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have lost all patience with it today. A really good mate who fairly recently separated and so is struggling is now suddenly in a tier 3 area and no longer allowed to play with us  for 5 aside, Vets football Sat or train with us even on a Wed. He lives alone and works from home. 

Yet there is a teacher who lives with his wife (a nurse) and with two kids who are both in school, who lives a few miles away who is really furious that my mate even asked if he could just train if he isn't allowed to play matches. Via the WhatsApp group he said it was terribly reckless and selfish to even consider it. 

Makes no sense to me. Just arbitrary lines in a map. 

16 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

If I was in halls at University, pretty much locked in already, paying vast amounts for online lessons, with the virus hard to control already and very little chance it would actually even affect me...believe me I would have stuck two fingers up and had a good time too.  

It isn’t about never having done anything wrong in your life.

Its about the consequences of your actions on others.

Students need to go to shops,  they use the nhs, they interact with the police and their tutors. They go to pubs and restaurants, cinemas and leisure facilities. 

The price of university fees  is irrelevant in controlling the spread of the virus. It’s crap for them yes. It’s not as good as face to face lectures, sure.

They may never suffer any medical symptoms, that doesn’t mean that others won’t.

Its a simple fact that whilst the virus is still spreading restrictions will not be ruled out as they are proven to reduce the spread.

If all the students stick two fingers up and have a good time they would have to close universities entirely until the spread is under control. Fortunately most students are sensible and don’t stick two fingers especially when they realise and accept the consequences of doing so.

Unfortunately those who do stick two fingers up, tend to do the damage that the majority are trying to undo. 

with all the money spent on this (£200bn plus I believe) is there an imbalance between the demand side i.e. all suppression measures/restrictions and the supply side i.e. the capacity for treatment. 'NHS being overwhelmed' has been a mantra since the beginning and given as a strong reason for all the measures taken. Nightingale hospitals cost £220m so a small fraction but not in full use...not taking one side or the other, making political points or looking to argue with anyone just wondering...  

10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Not sure how this will “save the NHS” and flatten the curve?
The old Soviet Union would be proud 

I can only guess that 'the science' showed that a large majority of adults that have died from Covid 19 have had either cigarettes or alcohol in their lives.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I can only guess that 'the science' showed that a large majority of adults that have died from Covid 19 have had either cigarettes or alcohol in their lives.

There’s not much else to do ?

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

but students are fined 10k for having gatherings

The four students who threw a house party in the area (Lenton) which has one of the highest Covid-19 cases per capita in the city which has the highest number of Covid-19 cases in the entire country (Nottingham), were warned to break it up, were then visited by police who were told by the students that everyone had already gone, but then the police searched the premises and found THIRTY people hiding in bedrooms and the bathroom?

Those four students, who have now been suspended by Nottingham University?

2141984018_ohdearhowsad.jpg.abfe0511a5c92db0dcaca547fed2ac41.jpg

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The four students who threw a house party in the area (Lenton) which has one of the highest Covid-19 cases per capita in the city which has the highest number of Covid-19 cases in the entire country (Nottingham), were warned to break it up, were then visited by police who were told by the students that everyone had already gone, but then the police searched the premises and found THIRTY people hiding in bedrooms and the bathroom?

Those four students, who have now been suspended by Nottingham University?

2141984018_ohdearhowsad.jpg.abfe0511a5c92db0dcaca547fed2ac41.jpg

I do love their defence, “you’re ruining our fun” 

Lordy Lordy this thread is so sad. So many one eyed folk trying to make this a left / right argument. It isn’t and should never be.

This is a shot storm for every nation. Every government is trying to balance a mountain of plates. A left wing angle or a right wing angle is just a different way of organising the cutlery. You still get a knife and fork. 
Hindsight from the opposition is tawdry, self congratulations from the government is tacky. Check out Europe as a whole with its diverse governments .. the problem is the same the end result is the same - allowing for density of population and timings of actions all of which are irrelevant in the greater scale - none of which has proved flawless. 

yeah sure, test and trace hasn’t been a top six finish, yeah, some “agents” have made some bunce that they don’t deserve but whoever was in charge would have had similar or parallel problems, parallel winners, losers and opportunists in one area or another. The grand standers on all sides are a disgrace, as are those who claim some moral authority because they would have done it differently and better. Baaalocks

Boris isn’t a hero but he isn’t a villain either. For crying out loud the partisan carp being spouted on here is vomit making.

pathetic. For every smart arse ideological comment there are people of all parties trying to do it right - and a whole bunch of twarts, from students, to angry daily fail folk, to political opportunists, miserable old goats who couldn’t give a damn about the team that is all of us

maybe it’s because we have become cynical bout politicians but just maybe we should grow up and cooperate. Question yes, hold to account yes, but partisan sniping based on your ideology  ? Really ? 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

Lordy Lordy this thread is so sad. So many one eyed folk trying to make this a left / right argument. It isn’t and should never be.

This is a shot storm for every nation. Every government is trying to balance a mountain of plates. A left wing angle or a right wing angle is just a different way of organising the cutlery. You still get a knife and fork. 
Hindsight from the opposition is tawdry, self congratulations from the government is tacky. Check out Europe as a whole with its diverse governments .. the problem is the same the end result is the same - allowing for density of population and timings of actions all of which are irrelevant in the greater scale - none of which has proved flawless. 

yeah sure, test and trace hasn’t been a top six finish, yeah, some “agents” have made some bunce that they don’t deserve but whoever was in charge would have had similar or parallel problems, parallel winners, losers and opportunists in one area or another. The grand standers on all sides are a disgrace, as are those who claim some moral authority because they would have done it differently and better. Baaalocks

Boris isn’t a hero but he isn’t a villain either. For crying out loud the partisan carp being spouted on here is vomit making.

pathetic. For every smart arse ideological comment there are people of all parties trying to do it right - and a whole bunch of twarts, from students, to angry daily fail folk, to political opportunists, miserable old goats who couldn’t give a damn about the team that is all of us

maybe it’s because we have become cynical bout politicians but just maybe we should grow up and cooperate. Question yes, hold to account yes, but partisan sniping based on your ideology  ? Really ? 

Now breathe into a paper bag a few times and calm down.

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Well done for your excellent community spirit. Putting it simply for you so you can understand, it is your proposed sort of selfish foolishness that is responsible for the spread of the virus, and the extraordinary number of deaths in this country. 

The issue isn’t whether the young ones are affected, more that they can spread it elsewhere. 

10 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Well done for your excellent community spirit. Putting it simply for you so you can understand, it is your proposed sort of selfish foolishness that is responsible for the spread of the virus, and the extraordinary number of deaths in this country. 

The issue isn’t whether the young ones are affected, more that they can spread it elsewhere. 

Really? Thank you, I didn't realise. Yep young people spreading the disease has been our problem. Definitely needed you to break it down and regurgitate the government rhetoric for me to make sense of it...follow the science, got it. 

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I have lost all patience with it today. A really good mate who fairly recently separated and so is struggling is now suddenly in a tier 3 area and no longer allowed to play with us  for 5 aside, Vets football Sat or train with us even on a Wed. He lives alone and works from home. 

Yet there is a teacher who lives with his wife (a nurse) and with two kids who are both in school, who lives a few miles away who is really furious that my mate even asked if he could just train if he isn't allowed to play matches. Via the WhatsApp group he said it was terribly reckless and selfish to even consider it. 

Makes no sense to me. Just arbitrary lines in a map. 

Fair enough. but how big a department do you want to have to draw up the lines applicable to every situation and individual ? Or how small a department and how long do you intend to give them to work out each possible scenario / situation. ? 

you have to have arbitrary lines because you have to start somewhere. Then you police them with intelligence and give latitude where necessary. It is not clever to criticise those who try and build a framework within such a situation. It’s just petty and narrow. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Haven't read much on this thread today, but most of the debate has tended to be lockdowns are a necessary evil vs lockdowns are not needed. Not much of the debate has been any left vs right and the thing most people seem to agree on is that Johnson and his friends have really messed it up. 

50 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Really? Thank you, I didn't realise. Yep young people spreading the disease has been our problem. Definitely needed you to break it down and regurgitate the government rhetoric for me to make sense of it...follow the science, got it. 

Jolly good, pleased to have been of assistance.

32 minutes ago, jono said:

You have to have arbitrary lines because you have to start somewhere. Then you police them with intelligence and give latitude where necessary.

You see what you have done there? 

32 minutes ago, jono said:

It is not clever to criticise those who try and build a framework within such a situation. It’s just petty and narrow. 

Yawn. Its a forum..that's kinda the point. 

3 hours ago, jono said:

I was rather hoping you send me some Belgium Beer samples instead. 

Happy to let you have a sample - PM me if you are serious.

Currently drinking a Gouden Carolus Whisky-Infused Tripel, which sits nicely on a Barista Chocolate Quad. This lunchtime was a little more international, consisting of Tripel Karmeleit (Belgian) followed by Paulaner Salvator (German) washed down with Tynt Meadow (English).

11 hours ago, jono said:

Charitable of you to defend the government, but it seems even Boris doesn't agree.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/boris-johnson-admits-his-government-failed-on-test-and-trace/ar-BB1ajrKB?ocid=msedgdhp

"The NHS Test and Trace system 'needs improvement' after its performance slumped to the worst on record, Boris Johnson admitted yesterday."

"The Prime Minister said: 'I share people's frustrations and I understand totally why we do need to see faster turnaround times and we do need to improve it.'"

And I don't agree that it's partisan politics in here. Mostly people are critical of the government, which I think is totally fair. I don't think I've seen a single person suggest that the opposition would have done better. Unfortunately for Boris he's the PM so it's 100% his responsibility to deliver a response, and it's no defence to claim someone else would have been worse.

Archived