Coronavirus

1of4

12 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I'm on Firefox with an adblocker! Thanks for sending the article via PM though - it's really interesting

I wouldn't be a fan of the argument being used as "anti-lockdown" in the usual media BS black and white way, but it raises a very good point about freedom of choice

Some pensioners will want to shield because they are afraid of dying - whereas others will think they'd rather take their chances and enjoy what time they have left. They are basically letting them choose

My experience of scandinavian countries is that they have way more ingrained common sense than we do in the UK (creme eggs up the bum etc) and I can totally see why they are doing this and why it will work for them

Are you saying creme eggs up the bum is a common sense thing or not?. I'd hate to be missing out.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I'm on Firefox with an adblocker! Thanks for sending the article via PM though - it's really interesting

Thats weird, I've opened it half a dozen or so time now on my PC with no issues.

11 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I wouldn't be a fan of the argument being used as "anti-lockdown" in the usual media BS black and white way, but it raises a very good point about freedom of choice

Some pensioners will want to shield because they are afraid of dying - whereas others will think they'd rather take their chances and enjoy what time they have left. They are basically letting them choose

My experience of scandinavian countries is that they have way more ingrained common sense than we do in the UK (creme eggs up the bum etc) and I can totally see why they are doing this and why it will work for them

Yeah, not keen on using it as an anti-lockdown argument myself - more of a compromise and common sense approach as mentioned by @jimmyp.  Give people the information and the option to rule their own lives, if you're elderly (or whatever age really) and desperately lonely the benefits of meeting people may outweigh the risks for example.

I found it to be an interesting article on old age, loneliness and dementia etc regardless of covid and the Swedish approach to dealing with it.

4 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Are you saying creme eggs up the bum is a common sense thing or not?. I'd hate to be missing out.

Maybe your going to have to take one for the team and try it Van Wolfie. 

Whats the worst that could happen right?!!!! 

Disclaimer (Please don’t try it)

16 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Which sounds like a good thing to do, of course, & my parents (both late 70's) were saying much the same yesterday

What is the health system supposed to do if/when it gets inundated with thousands of older people who had chosen to "take their chances" and then needing ventilation etc? Say "sorry, mate, you knew what the risk was and made a choice".

It's just poo all round, really. There are no good options with any of this.

7 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

What is the health system supposed to do if/when it gets inundated with thousands of older people who had chosen to "take their chances" and then needing ventilation etc? Say "sorry, mate, you knew what the risk was and made a choice".

Yes, that's where it potentially falls down. Freedom of choice for the individual is a fine concept until it starts to impact collectively on a national utility such as the health service. We already see a huge burden on the health service from smoking and drinking - which are an individual's freedom. Yet we pay for it collectively from our taxes even if we choose not to drink or smoke (etc)

Indeed - no good options, but in terms of shielding the elderly - if we dropped it - I think they would generally make better choices than young people have done when restrictions were loosened

2 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Which sounds like a good thing to do, of course, & my parents (both late 70's) were saying much the same yesterday

It's just poo all round, really. There are no good options with any of this.

We have to try and choose the lesser of evils. Sometimes we are going to get it wrong. Sometimes we will have no choice but to except the truly awful. 

We have to accept that life is not currently normal. People who shouldn’t of died yet will die, and people who have worked hard to earn a living will lose that living.

We have to accept and act like we are in this together. 

I personally feel that all life comes before finances, others however will value lives on a different scale.  

We also have to accept and shoulder the burden of blame together  if people continue to insist on blaming others for this terrible situation. 

Just my opinion. And a very limited view of it. If you don’t agree then c'est la vie. 

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

WTF, Scotland now have 5 tiers?!?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scotlands-new-five-tier-system-revealed-heres-what-each-level-means-12112175

Not to be outdone Boris is working on our new 7 tier system as we speak...

YESSSSSS!!!

They have ditched the word "tier" called it Level 0 (the lowest) to Level 5 (the highest) - Finally my inner grammar sphincter can stop twitching!

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

WTF, Scotland now have 5 tiers?!?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-scotlands-new-five-tier-system-revealed-heres-what-each-level-means-12112175

Not to be outdone Boris is working on our new 7 tier system as we speak...

How have those darn Scots managed to get a world beating 5 Tier system. We need something bigger. Solar System beating? 7 (seven) Tiers? Galaxy beating? 

17 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Neither are being used I’m afraid 

I don’t know TexasRam, I’m sure most of us have made many sacrifices and changes to our life styles.

We just need more people to start making changes voluntarily rather than being forced, forcing people to change behaviour quite often results in the exact opposite to the desired effect.

The Luton leaders today have set a great example of trying to get people to take voluntary actions, hopefully people will listen to them and not be forced into further restrictions. 

Archived