Coronavirus

1of4

49 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Charitable of you to defend the government, but it seems even Boris doesn't agree.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/boris-johnson-admits-his-government-failed-on-test-and-trace/ar-BB1ajrKB?ocid=msedgdhp

"The NHS Test and Trace system 'needs improvement' after its performance slumped to the worst on record, Boris Johnson admitted yesterday."

"The Prime Minister said: 'I share people's frustrations and I understand totally why we do need to see faster turnaround times and we do need to improve it.'"

And I don't agree that it's partisan politics in here. Mostly people are critical of the government, which I think is totally fair. I don't think I've seen a single person suggest that the opposition would have done better. Unfortunately for Boris he's the PM so it's 100% his responsibility to deliver a response, and it's no defence to claim someone else would have been worse.

I think you've missed the point of the post.

How could Boris have said anything else. Even he's not stupid enough to "do a Trump" and claim that everything's rosy.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I think you've missed the point of the post.

How could Boris have said anything else. Even he's not stupid enough to "do a Trump" and claim that everything's rosy.

I don't think "he's doing his best" is a valid defence for the response we've had. The country is now in chaos.

31 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I don't think "he's doing his best" is a valid defence for the response we've had. The country is now in chaos.

Hardly. Show me a western democracy that isn't struggling with this. Which was Jono's point.

48 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

13 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

Hardly. Show me a western democracy that isn't struggling with this. Which was Jono's point.

TBH. the spectre of the massive Public Inquiry now hangs over all. That will unearth a lot of stuff - too many email trails, reports viewed and opinions to be buried.

The country is not in chaos I don't think, but it ain't happy.

Interesting question on how to deal with the Tiers and Lockdowns..

1. Go regional but have all these anomalies where someone 100 yards away has different rules. We can see a similar situation in the US where the states largely set the agenda.

2. We arent that big as a country, so is national best? Avoids confusions, probably have better results but does penalise areas where infection rates are very low. 

Neither are fair really. I actually agree with @GboroRam the country is in chaos now. The Govt is trying to find a half way house where the economy is not affected too much but also manage the health side. All laudable but I am starting to feel impossible. The Govt can't really win here, they can't afford to let people die and they can't afford to let people die. What's right, I dunno. One day I am Mr Economy, the next I am Mr Heath. Who'd be PM?

I wish people would stop referring to it as the failing NHS test and trace. When it's private companies like Serco, who are the people responsible for running it. I wonder why Johnson isn't calling them a failure. As for the Baroness Dido Harding, why is she still in a job but more of a concern should be why was she put charge in the first place? Friends in high places maybe!

26 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I wish people would stop referring to it as the failing NHS test and trace. When it's private companies like Serco, who are the people responsible for running it. I wonder why Johnson isn't calling them a failure. As for the Baroness Dido Harding, why is she still in a job but more of a concern should be why was she put charge in the first place? Friends in high places maybe!

It's word association football (which is a technique out a living much used in the practice makes perfect of psychoanalysister and brother etc*).

Someone to blame indirectly/ without physically naming them.

*the full text, Monty Python

Tonight's the night I shall be talking about of flu the subject of word association football. This is a technique out a living much used in the practice makes perfect of psychoanalysister and brother and one that has occupied piper the majority rule of my attention squad by the right number one two three four the last five years to the memory. It is quite remarkable baker charlie how much the miller's son this so-called while you were out word association immigrants' problems influences the manner from heaven in which we sleekit cowering timrous beasties all-American Speke, the famous explorer. And the really well that is surprising partner in crime is that a lot and his wife of the lions feeding time we may be c d e effectively quite unaware of the fact or fiction section of the Watford Public Library that we are even doing it is a far, far better thing that I do now then, now then, what's going onward Christian Barnaard the famous hearty part of the lettuce now praise famous mental homes for loonies like me. So on the button, my contention causing all the headaches, is that unless we take into account of Monte Cristo in our thinking George the Fifth this phenomenon the other hand we shall not be able satisfact or fiction section of the Watford Public Library againily to understand to attention when I'm talking to you and stop laughing, about human nature, man's psychological make-up some story the wife'll believe and hence the very meaning of life itselfish bar steward, I'll kick him in the Ball's Pond Road.

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It's word association football (which is a technique out a living much used in the practice makes perfect of psychoanalysister and brother etc*).

Someone to blame indirectly/ without physically naming them.

This sketch is the reason I can't say "word association" without adding the word "football". 

29 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

This sketch is the reason I can't say "word association" without adding the word "football". 

I'm more of the generation where I can't say "word association" without then adding the whole "game where you mustn't pause or hesitate, repeat a word or say a word I don't like, otherwise you get a bash on the head like this ..... or like this ...... . And it's the one with the most bruises who loses. Look at eachother and go Blaaaaaah!"

20 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

be careful with that link - it took me to very NSFW website!

Hmm, just checked it on my wife's PC - gets redirected.  She uses google, I use Firefox.  She also doesn't use adblock, that may help if you don't use it. Link works fine on my PC.

I just searched for the article title and posted the link ?

I can post the entire article if thats okay Mods? Or is that frowned upon as its behind the Telegraph paywall?  Its well worth a read.

EDIT: Alternatively I will directly email you the article if you want to read it.

49 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Hmm, just checked it on my wife's PC - gets redirected.  She uses google, I use Firefox.  She also doesn't use adblock, that may help if you don't use it. Link works fine on my PC.

I can post the entire article if thats okay Mods? Or is that frowned upon as its behind the Telegraph paywall?  Its well worth a read.

EDIT: Alternatively I will directly email you the article if you want to read it.

Please no full text from newspapers or similar pages. Big brother is watching us.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

I'm on Firefox with an adblocker! Thanks for sending the article via PM though - it's really interesting

I wouldn't be a fan of the argument being used as "anti-lockdown" in the usual media BS black and white way, but it raises a very good point about freedom of choice

Some pensioners will want to shield because they are afraid of dying - whereas others will think they'd rather take their chances and enjoy what time they have left. They are basically letting them choose

My experience of scandinavian countries is that they have way more ingrained common sense than we do in the UK (creme eggs up the bum etc) and I can totally see why they are doing this and why it will work for them

3 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I'm on Firefox with an adblocker! Thanks for sending the article via PM though - it's really interesting

I wouldn't be a fan of the argument being used as "anti-lockdown" in the usual media BS black and white way, but it raises a very good point about freedom of choice

Some pensioners will want to shield because they are afraid of dying - whereas others will think they'd rather take their chances and enjoy what time they have left. They are basically letting them choose

My experience of scandinavian countries is that they have way more ingrained common sense than we do in the UK (creme eggs up the bum etc) and I can totally see why they are doing this and why it will work for them

I agree.

It also highlights why the idea of just shielding the vulnerable, and then letting everyone else get on with their lives in a pre Covid manner would cause such a terrible social injustice. 

Compromise and common sense is so desperately needed. 

25 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Please no full text from newspapers or similar pages. Big brother is watching us.

Yup, thought so.  If anyone does want to read the article, lemme know and I'll PM it to you.

Apologies for anyone caught out by a dodgy link, it was already to late to edit it out by the time I realised.

Archived