Coronavirus

1of4

36 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sounds like your states have much more autonomy than certainly the regions of England do, so incompetent leadership at the top is less of a problem.

Obviously very different countries though, with our bigger population and your huge land mass, even if you have large cities. 

The 'huge land mass' point is a bit overplayed. Australia is a very urbanised country, even moreso than the UK. Equally, it was one of the first countries outside Asia with infections. This was partly driven by the amount of air traffic between Australia and China at the time, as well as the close proximity. 

Due to that high urbanisation, Australia was, and still is arguably, a timebomb for the disease. It's only really the aggressive response that's keeping things as they are. 

The difference between countries that have gotten on top of the virus, and those that haven't has largely been how they chose to respond. Places like Victoria have shown what can be done if you accept the costs of getting back to normal though. There's no reason to think the UK couldn't go down that route.

Each to their own I guess, if a country is willing to pay that price. That said, the bigger cost of the pandemic, unfortunately, looks to be the long term health complications for those that got seriously ill. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sounds like your states have much more autonomy than certainly the regions of England do, so incompetent leadership at the top is less of a problem.

Obviously very different countries though, with our bigger population and your huge land mass, even if you have large cities. 

Filling in the blanks here (I'm bored), the population of Australia (2018 figures) is 25 million, and the area is 7.7 million square km. So that gives an average population density of 3.2 people per square km.

However, if we take the 10 largest cities, those number approximately 18.26 million. The area of those cities is 51557 square km. That gives an average population density of 354 people per square km.

Comparing those figures to the UK, our population is 67 million, and the area is 242,495 square km (density = 276 people per square km.

I will repeat the exercise for the 10 largest cities in the UK later, but it is now Beer O'Clock.

On 26/09/2020 at 09:08, Norman said:

Woah, woah, woah. 

Steady lads, @maxjam, @Uptherams, @TexasRam

Didn't you know, you're all down conspiracy rabbit holes. Dont start saying that scientists agree with you, or that figures of more deaths from the restrictions are starting to come out. 

Apparently we’re the lunatic fringe ?

12 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Bingo.

I'm not actually permitted to let you know to what extent I hold your quite ridiculous and unscientific opinions in utter contempt, so let's leave it at that.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Bingo.

I'm not actually permitted to let you know to what extent I hold your quite ridiculous and unscientific opinions in utter contempt, so let's leave it at that.

Fire away, I think we’ve established I do not care what you think/say on this topic 

51 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I thought being on a fringe was like holding views that are marginal or therefore extreme. 

Which seems odd. Seeing as though the way I've voted in the last 10 years hasn't seen me be on the losing side.

Just on our way back from a weekend at Legoland. 

Mask on, mask off all weekend. Lots of people. Didn't feel entirely safe. 

Lots of arrows to follow but many didn't. 

Main solace was that we spent the majority of the time outside. 

Life's a delicate balance between what's good for mental wellbeing / the economy and what's safe for our physical health. 

Everywhere we went this weekend had every other urinal blocked off. 

That's one of the key things which will prevent any return to live football attendance. 

13 minutes ago, Norman said:

I thought being on a fringe was like holding views that are marginal or therefore extreme. 

Which seems odd. Seeing as though the way I've voted in the last 10 years hasn't seen me be on the losing side.

So what did you win?

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

Some perspective...??

source: Sunday Times 27.09.20

image.thumb.jpeg.5281274cc85f9481d7070efa04300894.jpeg

A good graph that illustrates how well the 3 month lockdown and associated continuing measures have worked in containing the virus

You'd have to be pretty hard of thinking to try and use that graph as a reason to justify why you think the measures have been over the top and we should just stop

4 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

A good graph that illustrates how well the 3 month lockdown and associated continuing measures have worked in containing the virus

You'd have to be pretty hard of thinking to try and use that graph as a reason to justify why you think the measures have been over the top and we should just stop

Interesting and well presented graphic, showing that Covid only effects a tiny proportion of the population, where as the restrictions effect the whole picture. You’d be hard of thinking to just keep posting  anecdotal none data driven comments saying we’re all doomed. 

23 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Hmmm. If only there were a country called Sweden. 

14 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Utter nonsense. 

How many of those dots are people who have (or soon will have) lost their jobs, homes, livelihoods, future, not been tested for cancer..

Or dots that have just endured things that are now seen as pretty minor, like missed 6 months of school, lost their holiday of a lifetime, had their wedding day ruined, retired without saying goodbye, lived with toothache for months, had replacement surgery put back, not seen their relatives, not been to a loved ones funeral... 

The long term effects are going to be horrendous and those saying 'if it saves just one life' really are missing the point totally. 

Archived