Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Uptherams said:

None of the major politicians or political party hierarchies have a clue what they are doing regarding Covid. They demonstrate this regularly. Me thinking Boris needs to step aside isn't support for a different political party, it's support for a different approach. 

A bit like the running of our beloved football club. Hand control over to all us “experts” on this forum. We clearly know much better.

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

World beating. ?

What a shambles our government is. 

Wouldn't the fact that it's called the NHS app indicate that it is an NHS project?

Unless of course we are classing the NHS and the Government as one?

In which case I assume you wasnt one of the people on your doorstep clapping every Thursday evening?

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Wouldn't the fact that it's called the NHS app indicate that it is an NHS project?

You would think so wouldn't you. But its not.

The app was designed and built by a group called "NHS Test and Trace" at the Department of Health. The Department of Health appointed Serco to deliver NHS Test and Trace. 

The NHS themselves are not the ones to point fingers at here. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

The other criticism of the App I’ve seen - if you check in somewhere you can’t check out. 

Correct - we checked in somewhere yesterday at about 6:30pm for a quick drink, and the app says "you will be automatically checked out at Midnight, unless you check in somewhere else before then. We stayed for about 45 mins and then went home - so potentially we could get an alert for something that happens 4 hours after we've left?! 

My personal concern is that if I get an alert through the App that I need to self isolate and get a test despite being completely asymptomatic I’m not comfortable with that. Having to stop my life for two weeks, nope, no chance. Call me selfish - but I think tests should be for Symptomatic people, not asymptomatic people taking up the test capacity. 

That makes no sense though. Don't want to isolate for two weeks?  then get a test. Testing to find asymptomatic people with the virus is crucial

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

The other criticism of the App I’ve seen - if you check in somewhere you can’t check out

That happened to me as well, I was in a hotel, in California 

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Correct - we checked in somewhere yesterday at about 6:30pm for a quick drink, and the app says "you will be automatically checked out at Midnight, unless you check in somewhere else before then. We stayed for about 45 mins and then went home - so potentially we could get an alert for something that happens 4 hours after we've left?! 

That makes no sense though. Don't want to isolate for two weeks?  then get a test. Testing to find asymptomatic people with the virus is crucial

Even if the test comes back negative, and you have no symptoms you still need to isolate. That's my understanding. So we're moving on from a manual T and T whereby at least you probably know who it was that was with you to a system whereby you're relying on technology that we are unsure how well it works. That's why I'm not convinced by it. 

Let's all now attack university students. This is pathetic. 90% of these tests are false positives. You take a bunch of people from all over the country and world, mixing and what do you get...freshers flu. Anyone with any sense saw this coming. That the media and politicians would lose all perspective surrounding freshers flu.

Do some have Covid? Yes. Do most or all? No. Will most students fall ill in this first month? Yes. Hundreds of students with Covid and yet not one death or hospitalisation. You've got hundreds of students saying they've been tested positive yet show no signs they have it and feel great. 

But no, we must all shame and have a go at students. The idea that 6 people to a flat from all over the UK, moving in around the same time as hundreds of others, in one building, with friends and family helping them move in, shouldn't have led to a spike among this demographic is beyond laughable.

But no. We must shame them. I see thousands of people every day. You know what demographic I've seen take more cautions. Students. Students wearing masks, outside, even whilst alone. But let's all have a go at them. So much for being against the politics of division. 

4 hours ago, Uptherams said:

I hope you manage to get out and about in general. I feel like many people are in a self imposed prison. Going on walks, to parks, having picnics. Plenty of pubs and cafés in and around Derby where you can sit outside that are not busy. Meeting friends and family but staying safe through taking measures. 

Thanks.  Bloody cold now though, so I might wait until spring.

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

My personal concern is that if I get an alert through the App that I need to self isolate and get a test despite being completely asymptomatic I’m not comfortable with that. Having to stop my life for two weeks, nope, no chance. Call me selfish - but I think tests should be for Symptomatic people, not asymptomatic people taking up the test capacity. 

That's the whole point.

It's to protect others. If you are asymptomatic yet have the virus, you don't really want to be responsible for passing it on to others, with potentially fatal consequences, do you?

If I call you 'selfish', I might get banned, and I'm on my last chance now, so I'll just call you 'misguided'.

3 hours ago, Uptherams said:

90% of these tests are false positives.

I'm a bit simple here. Could you please  explain what you mean by this statement (which you have used repeatedly over the last couple of days), and provide a citation to back up your statement?

Are you actually suggesting that if 10 people test positive, then statistically, 9 of those results are wrong and that 9 out of 10 were actually negative? If that is the case, then the whole testing process is entirely meaningless.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That's the whole point.

It's to protect others. If you are asymptomatic yet have the virus, you don't really want to be responsible for passing it on to others, with potentially fatal consequences, do you?

If I call you 'selfish', I might get banned, and I'm on my last chance now, so I'll just call you 'misguided'.

Do you think it’s not “misguided” of people to think other people should  lose their jobs, education, future, social interactions, relationships and so on and so on to protect a minority, who can protect themselves easily enough....maybe that’s a little “misguided” as well. There are two sides to every issue,  Maybe???? 

34 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Do you think it’s not “misguided” of people to think other people should  lose their jobs, education, future, social interactions, relationships and so on and so on to protect a minority, who can protect themselves easily enough....maybe that’s a little “misguided” as well. There are two sides to every issue,  Maybe???? 

Wear a bloody mask and socially distance - that's all that's required. Avoiding one or the other is utterly moronic.

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Wear a bloody mask and socially distance - that's all that's required. Avoiding one or the other is utterly moronic.

100% agree Edward we are on the same page there 

39 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Social distance agreed. Masks? Well they’ve been bloody useful haven’t they.

Really, how can you say that when people have not been wearing them for the most part, especially when it gets around to "You're my best mate, you are" o'clock in the pubs. As recently as last week, I saw two young lads not wearing masks in Tesco. Without a controlled study (hands up all those who would like to be in the 'control' or 'placebo' group), it's impossible to say how effective masks are (although there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that they help considerably, plus a few animal studies), but what they are not going to do is to assist the spread of Covid-19.

3 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

_114621433_tv063525144.jpg.c3856fad9f1de84f745a0f5d993c90ea.jpg

Trafalgar Square today. 

And then we lock up 1700 kids in Manchester FFS. Why does this country keeps s******g on the future of this country ?

Could not believe it when i heard on the news that security guards are there to stop them getting out of the halls of residence, really made me very angry

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

And then we lock up 1700 kids in Manchester FFS. Why does this country keeps s******g on the future of this country ?

Could not believe it when i heard on the news that security guards are there to stop them getting out of the halls of residence, really made me very angry

The really crazy thing was to insist on university attendance at this present time when the students could have attended lectures online - which is what they are having to do now in Manchester and Glasgow. This was predicted three weeks ago.

Archived