Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think everyone appreciates it's debatable. It's the utter conviction that restrictions are incorrect that gets a bit dull, and sometimes insensitive. Some of the things posted seem to exist in a vacuum, where loads of people haven't recently died (ie actual excess deaths).

And (not wanting to get into an argument this isn't aimed at you) its getting pretty dull calling anyone that flouts restrictions or dares to challenge one of the many contradictory narratives that have emerged over the months covidiots etc.

People have died from covid, people will die from being locked up.  The data seems to be suggesting that if you are young and/or fit and healthy you'll be fine.  The overwhelming majority of people dying have more than one underlying factor. 

Given that in all likelihood we're all going to have to live with covid for the foreseeable future and the Chancellors latest bailout not saving all jobs we're looking at mass unemployment and a crippling recession in the near future.  My parents have been shielding for months and will continue to do so but they are pleased that my kids are back at school and hope that I can get back to work in the near future.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

And (not wanting to get into an argument this isn't aimed at you) its getting pretty dull calling anyone that flouts restrictions or dares to challenge one of the many contradictory narratives that have emerged over the months covidiots etc.

People have died from covid, people will die from being locked up.  The data seems to be suggesting that if you are young and/or fit and healthy you'll be fine.  The overwhelming majority of people dying have more than one underlying factors. 

Given that in all likelihood we're all going to have to live with covid for the foreseeable future and the Chancellors latest bailout not saving all jobs we're looking at mass unemployment and a crippling recession in the near future.  My parents have been shielding for months and will continue to do so but they are pleased that my kids are back at school and hope that I can get back to work in the near future.

I think most people's thinking is along the same lines really, as @Angry Ram's post laid our nicely yesterday.

It'a a tough decision on whether to relax restrictions or tighten them, with obvious risks on both sides. 

I would think that most people agree that packed pubs with drunk people is probably not a good idea and wearing masks when you go into a shop is a small sacrifice to help reduce transmission and protect vulnerable people.

And although the Home Secretary advised us to snitch on two families of 4 chatting in the street, most people will treat that directive with the contempt it deserves.

I don't think it particularly helpful though when someone posts one chart, or one independent view point, and then claim that this conclusively proves their own opinion.

Strong opinions formed from an incomplete understanding are so pre-Covid!

17 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Our wonderful NHS app cannot accept input of tests conducted by NHS/PHS.

What a farce. 

DE503E66-21CF-417E-95FB-913749BBEE80.jpeg

Jesus wept, what a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if the people you have been close to get an alert informing them to isolate for 14 days in case the test results you weren't able to submit were positive.

Did you actually get that message? It seems so inept that perhaps someone has made it up. Just clutching at straws that this might not be true.

51 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Did you also see this article in the Mail today? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but when someone has such a shambolic personal life, it seems like it would negatively impact their professional life too? 

That February timeout to sort his divorce, for example.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8774005/Wholl-bail-Boris-Johnson-taken-vast-pay-cut-PM.html

26 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

wearing masks when you go into a shop is a small sacrifice

You wouldn't think that from the young couple I across in Sainsburys yesterday.  Not wearing masks , but also coming with in a few inches of people who were wearing them and shouting down aisles to some mate of theirs.

They were clearly trying to intimidate people by getting close to them and drawing attention to themselves .  They should have been removed from the store as I saw a number of people reticent to step into any aisle they were in.   

Some people are very strange and each store should have visible security to deal with such idiots.

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Did you also see this article in the Mail today? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but when someone has such a shambolic personal life, it seems like it would negatively impact their professional life too? 

That February timeout to sort his divorce, for example.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8774005/Wholl-bail-Boris-Johnson-taken-vast-pay-cut-PM.html

None of the major politicians or political party hierarchies have a clue what they are doing regarding Covid. They demonstrate this regularly. Me thinking Boris needs to step aside isn't support for a different political party, it's support for a different approach. 

1 hour ago, Uptherams said:

One of you made a comment that you hadn't been to a pub since Lockdown in March. My assumption is that you die hard doom merchants have barely left your houses for 6 months. You have no idea how normal things are in the outside world. As for being a snitch, well i'm not going to go there because what I would like to say, would get me permanently banned. 

I'd love to feel safe (ish) going to a pub. The last time I had a drink outside the confines of my home was on the day Boris announced the lockdown. Likewise I have hardly left my house for the last six months, although we have now started shopping for some groceries for an hour once a week (the bulk of our weekly shop is done online).

While there are people who continue to object to social distancing rules, flout mask-wearing rules and basically act like morons, then that's my 'normal' now and for the foreseeable future.

It's not really surprising that it's the same merchants of doom as always on this forum. I'm just wondering when the cult of doom get's to the final stage and they arrange some mass suicide ritual. Then again, they wouldn't meet in a group larger than 6 would they? If they did they'd all snitch on each other and the Stasi would show up. 

Hmmm.

On 03/03/2020 at 09:25, Uptherams said:

Good points. But surely you have read numerous reports about how without governments and businesses limiting our movement, this could infect 40-50% of the population and as a result, the death rate would increase from the supposed 2.5%, due to the lack of resources and then indirect deaths would increase too. 

Up to 1 million people in the UK potentially dying in the space of 18 months from one virus, will leave a scar on this period like we have not experienced since WW2 and so to will the steps that might have to be taken in order to prevent that from happening. 

This whole ordeal has been caused by the governments unwillingness to block international travel and yet here we now are, where they are proposing banning travel domestically so to speak. This whole thing reeks of classism. The powers that be thought of nothing other than their continued ability to travel internationally so freely. 

Tell me more about these 'merchants of doom'.

One of you made a comment that you hadn't been to a pub since Lockdown in March. My assumption is that you die hard doom merchants have barely left your houses for 6 months. You have no idea how normal things are in the outside world. As for being a snitch, well i'm not going to go there because what I would like to say, would get me permanently banned. 

Go for it, will be far more interesting to see if you do get banned ?

5 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Go for it, will be far more interesting to see if you do get banned ?

I think people watch crimes dramas and believe that being a snitch is always wrong.

My neighbour told me he has kidnapped some children and has them tied up in the basement. I think he should let them go, but I'm can't tell the police cos I ain't no snitch bro.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I'd love to feel safe (ish) going to a pub. The last time I had a drink outside the confines of my home was on the day Boris announced the lockdown. Likewise I have hardly left my house for the last six months, although we have now started shopping for some groceries for an hour once a week (the bulk of our weekly shop is done online).

While there are people who continue to object to social distancing rules, flout mask-wearing rules and basically act like morons, then that's my 'normal' now and for the foreseeable future.

I hope you manage to get out and about in general. I feel like many people are in a self imposed prison. Going on walks, to parks, having picnics. Plenty of pubs and cafés in and around Derby where you can sit outside that are not busy. Meeting friends and family but staying safe through taking measures. 

I think most people's thinking is along the same lines really, as @Angry Ram's post laid our nicely yesterday.

It'a a tough decision on whether to relax restrictions or tighten them, with obvious risks on both sides. 

I would think that most people agree that packed pubs with drunk people is probably not a good idea and wearing masks when you go into a shop is a small sacrifice to help reduce transmission and protect vulnerable people.

And although the Home Secretary advised us to snitch on two families of 4 chatting in the street, most people will treat that directive with the contempt it deserves.

I don't think it particularly helpful though when someone posts one chart, or one independent view point, and then claim that this conclusively proves their own opinion.

Strong opinions formed from an incomplete understanding are so pre-Covid!

Misguided 

Jesus wept, what a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if the people you have been close to get an alert informing them to isolate for 14 days in case the test results you weren't able to submit were positive.

Did you actually get that message? It seems so inept that perhaps someone has made it up. Just clutching at straws that this might not be true.

Multiple sources I’ve seen this now, some more reputable sources on twitter highlighting it (including medical professionals) as well.

Roughly a third of tests each day are P1/P4 (I cant remember the breakdown of how many positives come from these now).

The other criticism of the App I’ve seen - if you check in somewhere you can’t check out. Shouldn’t be too much of an issue if the Bluetooth distance thing works but I’m not sure I trust that either.

My personal concern is that if I get an alert through the App that I need to self isolate and get a test despite being completely asymptomatic I’m not comfortable with that. Having to stop my life for two weeks, nope, no chance. Call me selfish - but I think tests should be for Symptomatic people, not asymptomatic people taking up the test capacity. 

It's a fairly simple way to live. Protect yourself. If there is a group of people behaving irresponsibly, it makes zero difference to me because I'm not going near them. If I keep my distance from people, wash my hands, use disinfectant and wear a mask at certain times, then I'm good and that applies to anyone doing the same.

On top of this having a balanced nutritional diet, drinking plenty of water, exercising, spending time outside and in the sun. Taking Vitamin D supplements. 

6 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

It's a fairly simple way to live. Protect yourself. If there is a group of people behaving irresponsibly, it makes zero difference to me because I'm not going near them. If I keep my distance from people, wash my hands, use disinfectant and wear a mask at certain times, then I'm good and that applies to anyone doing the same.

On top of this having a balanced nutritional diet, drinking plenty of water, exercising, spending time outside and in the sun. Taking Vitamin D supplements. 

You should do youtube wellbeing videos. You could be the new Paltrow.

Archived