Coronavirus

1of4

9 hours ago, Albert said:

It's a weird one seeing the UK from the outside. 

The lesson from places like Australia is that the best way to protect those jobs, lives, etc is all the same thing. A hard lockdown, people following social distancing and mask requirements, then keeping things steady afterwards. 

Businesses will fold without the consumer confidence brought by normalcy. In Australia, the states that have achieved that are doing excellently right now, with life being pretty much normal. 

So what happens when the inevitable happens? 

Another full Lockdown? 

Because a vaccine doesn't look like it is on its way to half the population of the world any time soon.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

We shut the pubs at 10pm from Thursday, pretty sure that isn’t having an effect just yet (or ever)

Agreed, but there have been an incremental number of local lockdowns in place for the last month, plus mask-wearing encouragement in ever-increasing amounts. Are you suggesting that they are having no effect too?

What the hell am I talking about? Of course you are.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Agreed, but there have been an incremental number of local lockdowns in place for the last month, plus mask-wearing encouragement in ever-increasing amounts. Are you suggesting that they are having no effect too?

What the hell am I talking about? Of course you are.

Haha I am saying they do nothing. Wear a mask and keep apart are the only ways imo, everything else is just doing far more damage than a virus that is only dangerous to around at most 0.007% of the population 

11 minutes ago, Norman said:

I assume that is based on saving local economies. Places like Coventry see its population surge by a third due to university attendance. 

Unfortunately we followed the American University system in debt and economics. 

There are countless cities and councils that would be in severe trouble with no university attendance this year. 

You may well be right there - making students ill is a necessary sacrifice to save the local kebab shop. 

2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Haha I am saying they do nothing. Wear a mask and keep apart are the only ways imo, everything else is just doing far more damage than a virus that is only dangerous to around at most 0.007% of the population 

Now that must be the millionth time you have used hyperbole.

(hopefully that isn't too subtle for some on here)

10 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I was wondering the same thing, as you say - he keeps repeating it as fact, but when he tried to explain it the other day it was far from clear what he meant.

My guess is that he's just doing his usual thing of deciding on his own personal interpretation of something and then repeatedly stating it very confidently in the hope that people think he knows what he's on about.

Read the actual sources perhaps. Then do some of your own research into FPR. 

It's not difficult is it ?

I clearly know what I'm doing. You can bring a horse to water and all that. It doesn't matter how much I personally provide through sources or citations. Many of you will still deny deny deny because your ego's can not stomach certain members of this forum being correct or informed. 

The only way this works is if you guys quietly go off and then do some of your own research into FPR. 

But you guys can't be bothered to even do that. ?‍♀️?

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Now that must be the millionth time you have used hyperbole.

(hopefully that isn't too subtle for some on here)

It’s fine by me to use that language with me, as I don’t really care. Anyway to respond, It’s just what the numbers say, and I think it’s very conservative as I don’t actually believe all the numbers given by the  Government on this issue. 

51 minutes ago, Norman said:

So what happens when the inevitable happens? 

Another full Lockdown? 

Because a vaccine doesn't look like it is on its way to half the population of the world any time soon.

There's been a handful of scares here in South Australia over the months, but overall these have been handled effectively. The most recent major cluster was about a month and a half ago. It involved someone who went to not one, but two major schools while infectious. Over 1100 people were put into lockdown for 14 days, and the rate of testing tripled in South Australia. It was contained, and we've not had an unexplained case since.

Victoria went the other way, tried to use a soft touch, and ultimately have indeed ended up barred from leaving the state, and have been in a hard lockdown for 6 weeks now. The cases are back under control though, and it looks like the restrictions will ease soon. 

As to what happens if it gets out of control in South Australia? I'd expect the exact same response, and given the economic benefits we've seen in the last several months as a result, I would welcome it. The state that's really suffered was Victoria, and that was because they didn't when they had to initially, and the damage was already done economically.

As to a vaccine, we've made it this far, and economically we are indeed recovering (except Victoria of course), so I'm confidence we'll make it through in one piece, even without a vaccine in this new normal. What isn't ever going to be normal is accepting a 1%+ fatality rate on an endemic virus. 

38 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It’s fine by me to use that language with me, as I don’t really care. Anyway to respond, It’s just what the numbers say, and I think it’s very conservative as I don’t actually believe all the numbers given by the  Government on this issue. 

'That language'?

I presume, from your user name, that you used to live in Texas. Perhaps that's where you developed the propensity for exaggeration (which is what hyperbole means).

54 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Read the actual sources perhaps. Then do some of your own research into FPR. 

It's not difficult is it ?

I clearly know what I'm doing. You can bring a horse to water and all that. It doesn't matter how much I personally provide through sources or citations. Many of you will still deny deny deny because your ego's can not stomach certain members of this forum being correct or informed. 

The only way this works is if you guys quietly go off and then do some of your own research into FPR. 

But you guys can't be bothered to even do that. ?‍♀️?

I think the way that is normally put on the more hysterical sites is 'Study it out'.

Don't forget your tinfoil hat.

39 minutes ago, Albert said:

There's been a handful of scares here in South Australia over the months, but overall these have been handled effectively. The most recent major cluster was about a month and a half ago. It involved someone who went to not one, but two major schools while infectious. Over 1100 people were put into lockdown for 14 days, and the rate of testing tripled in South Australia. It was contained, and we've not had an unexplained case since.

Victoria went the other way, tried to use a soft touch, and ultimately have indeed ended up barred from leaving the state, and have been in a hard lockdown for 6 weeks now. The cases are back under control though, and it looks like the restrictions will ease soon. 

As to what happens if it gets out of control in South Australia? I'd expect the exact same response, and given the economic benefits we've seen in the last several months as a result, I would welcome it. The state that's really suffered was Victoria, and that was because they didn't when they had to initially, and the damage was already done economically.

As to a vaccine, we've made it this far, and economically we are indeed recovering (except Victoria of course), so I'm confidence we'll make it through in one piece, even without a vaccine in this new normal. What isn't ever going to be normal is accepting a 1%+ fatality rate on an endemic virus. 

Really can’t fault how SA, WA and Qld have handled things up till now. I just get a bit pissed of with Morrison and Co trying to pressure our states to open up the borders. We have had 1156 cases to date ( overseas acquired 852 ) and 6 deaths in Qld so  if the health department want to keep borders closed so be it.

36 minutes ago, Eddie said:

'That language'?

I presume, from your user name, that you used to live in Texas. Perhaps that's where you developed the propensity for exaggeration (which is what hyperbole means).

Yes you are correct sir on the user name. And come on, if we are going to talk about exaggerations there is no bigger one than the reactions to the coronavirus “pandemic” 

21 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Yes you are correct sir on the user name. And come on, if we are going to talk about exaggerations there is no bigger one than the reactions to the coronavirus “pandemic” 

Well, if you rely on the words and opinions of Captain Fruitloop, then I'm afraid that there's not much hope that your opinions will be accepted by anyone outside the lunatic fringe (the regular 5 or 6 members of said august organisation will no doubt back you up in the next few minutes)

At the end of the day, if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well, if you rely on the words and opinions of Captain Fruitloop, then I'm afraid that there's not much hope that your opinions will be accepted by anyone outside the lunatic fringe (the regular 5 or 6 members of said august organisation will no doubt back you up in the next few minutes)

At the end of the day, if you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Lol 

1 hour ago, Stagtime said:

Really can’t fault how SA, WA and Qld have handled things up till now. I just get a bit pissed of with Morrison and Co trying to pressure our states to open up the borders. We have had 1156 cases to date ( overseas acquired 852 ) and 6 deaths in Qld so  if the health department want to keep borders closed so be it.

That's because Morrison a bafflingly incompetent nightwatchman PM that Australia collectively decided to install permanently. It's like if England installed Leach as their new opener. 

He's been lucky that that most of the states have competent leadership, and those that haven't have just being copying the others' homework. 

Morrison's donors sure want him to get those borders open. SA opened them to NSW, which is a ticking timebomb. Let's hope that doesn't ruin it for everyone, including Morrison, who really needs Marshall to keep his shine. 

I'd also say Victoria have, to their credit, done well to wrest control of the situation again. There was a time it looked like the battle was lost, and while some heads are rolling over the hotel quarantine scandal, we might see them back to normalcy before next year. 

40 minutes ago, Albert said:

That's because Morrison a bafflingly incompetent nightwatchman PM that Australia collectively decided to install permanently. It's like if England installed Leach as their new opener. 

He's been lucky that that most of the states have competent leadership, and those that haven't have just being copying the others' homework. 

Morrison's donors sure want him to get those borders open. SA opened them to NSW, which is a ticking timebomb. Let's hope that doesn't ruin it for everyone, including Morrison, who really needs Marshall to keep his shine. 

I'd also say Victoria have, to their credit, done well to wrest control of the situation again. There was a time it looked like the battle was lost, and while some heads are rolling over the hotel quarantine scandal, we might see them back to normalcy before next year. 

Sounds like your states have much more autonomy than certainly the regions of England do, so incompetent leadership at the top is less of a problem.

Obviously very different countries though, with our bigger population and your huge land mass, even if you have large cities. 

Archived