Coronavirus

1of4

41 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Well ignoring the 5000 deaths which'll come of the total I'm going for the following:

1) We are fat and unhealthy.

2) Population demographics - extremely multicultural and the challenges that brings such as multi generations under on roof.

3) Population density.

4) Did I say we're fat?

All of those factors probably contributed.

The main reason for the excess deaths though must be moving people from hospitals into care homes without being tested. A mistake that possibly borders on criminal.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

All of those factors probably contributed.

The main reason for the excess deaths though must be moving people from hospitals into care homes without being tested. A mistake that possibly borders on criminal.

Nailed it.

Good to see our publicly funded privately run world beating test and trace is working so well, that the number of highly trained staff being used to run it is now being cut by a third.

Odd that this world beating service is now passing the onus of contacting possible contagious members of the public, on to local councils.

27 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Good to see our publicly funded privately run world beating test and trace is working so well, that the number of highly trained staff being used to run it is now being cut by a third.

Odd that this world beating service is now passing the onus of contacting possible contagious members of the public, on to local councils.

Surely infections and deaths going down, coupled with the identification of areas requiring local lockdowns would indicate it is working ok.

What measurements are you using for deciding how successful the scheme is? 

26 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

The news I saw at the weekend said that the local teams had demonstrated a much higher success rate at tracking down contacts, so isn't it therefore good news that the resources are being directed to where they are most effective?.

Not that I would expect that you would ever bring yourself to say that this government has made a correct decision.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think it played a part yes.

Wont expand too much as I was under the impression that politics had been banned.

I think you are probably right and it's a desperate situation (a populist government in continual campaigning mode, not the politics ban!)

15 hours ago, sage said:

If our infection rate has closely matched that of France, Germany and Italy? Why are so may more dying here?

Austerity - For more than 100 years, life expectancy had been improving at a rate of about one year every four years. The increase in life expectancy that had begun to slow in 2010 had, by 2018, more or less ground to a halt.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/10/england-worst-covid-figures-austerity-inequality

15 hours ago, sage said:

If our infection rate has closely matched that of France, Germany and Italy? Why are so may more dying here?

Off the top of my head....

1. People are dying now who were infected and hospitalised when our rate was much higher than theirs

2. We count people as Covid deaths if they have ever had a positive coronavirus test but are now dying from any cause.

4 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

We count people as Covid deaths if they have ever had a positive coronavirus test but are now dying from any cause.

Are there any stats for that yet, because it seemed like that obscure scenario was going to account for not much more than a handful of people

Just now, TexasRam said:

7th consecutive week of all deaths in England being under the 5 year average. Hysteria anyone ??‍♂️

What is suprising about  7 weeks in the middle of a year being below average when there is a pandemic which started in Feb/March wiping out the most vulnerable and frail members of the population up front?

Sadly a lot of conspiracy theorists are wetting themselves over this isolated stat.

Just now, SchtivePesley said:

What is suprising about  7 weeks in the middle of a year being below average when there is a pandemic which started in Feb/March wiping out the most vulnerable and frail members of the population up front?

Sadly a lot of conspiracy theorists are wetting themselves over this isolated stat.

I’m possibly soaking

Sith Happens
18 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Are there any stats for that yet, because it seemed like that obscure scenario was going to account for not much more than a handful of people

For the last week of july something like 210 people had Covid19 specfied on the death certificate, but more than twice the amount were in the official figures because they had it at some point....so if thats the case it doesnt seem like its a handful of people.

29 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

So the only people dying were the most vulnerable and frail?

Really makes you wonder why we closed down the whole economy doesn't it?

No conspiracy theory really is it, just pointing out the obvious I think.

Maybe if we had just quarantined the most vulnerable, and let everyone carry on as normal, we could even be near the stage where we could back to normal now.

Instead we had 'experts' telling us that the Government were reacting too slow and should be bringing the whole country to a standstill.

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So the only people dying were the most vulnerable and frail?

No - but they would be the people most likely to be making up the core of "people who will die in 2020 anyway" - and Covid picked them off early

But anyway - point taken, I get your agenda. You're a herd immunity kinda guy

e552db53-683b-45b8-b1fa-40cd1f6c6580

Sith Happens

hopefully all players who are responsible for this will have their pay docked.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11781/12047133/celtic-and-aberdeen-matches-postponed-by-scottish-government-after-coronavirus-rule-breaches

in fact,  that will mean nothing.  Football should implement a rule, break the rules around covid 19 and 6 month ban. They might stop and think then rather than assume they are better than everyone else. 

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Saw something today that just said a few percent, so not sure.

Archived