Coronavirus

1of4

Just now, Bearwood Ram said:

While shopping today noticed that nearly everyone of teen/early 20s age range didn't bother with a mask in shops/on the bus etc. Most Also noticed that one of aforementioned youthful mask avoiders was stockpiling cleaning products, medicines, pain killers, bog roll etc...!

You'll see them again on ebay at 10 x the price come the end of September.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens
4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Maybe because they didn’t panic and continue not to panic ??‍♂️ maybe.......

Sweden's economy less hard-hit by coronavirus https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53664354

I dont think you can compare Sweden with the UK....Sweden population density 25 per km2 UK is 280 per km2 (England 400+ per km2)

12 minutes ago, Bearwood Ram said:

While shopping today noticed that nearly everyone of teen/early 20s age range didn't bother with a mask in shops/on the bus etc. Most Also noticed that one of aforementioned youthful mask avoiders was stockpiling cleaning products, medicines, pain killers, bog roll etc...!

The scene:
A small shopping "precinct" encircling a green area and kiddies play park amid a sprawling and not too affluent housing estate, which still remains predominantly council tenants and benefit recipients.  (Hands up who guessed Sussex Circus, Chad? Well done! ? )

Muckerette was stood in the (outside) queue for the post office the other day.  Mask already donned, as were the 3 in front of her.

3 teen girls walked past...
"Poo!"  cried girl No1.  "We need a face mask!" 
"Not for these sort of shops you don't.  That's only for proper shops" responded girl No 2.
"What.  Like them in town and Asda and stuff?" enquired girl No 3.
"Precisely that, mon cheri", replied girl No 2.

...Whereupon all three of them skipped merrily along... still mask-less, of course... and straight into the next door local co-op... quite possibly giggling and looking forward to buying some polo mints for the bus ride into town, before meeting up with their first shared boyfriend, for a snog relay!  

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

The scene:
A small shopping "precinct" encircling a green area and kiddies play park amid a sprawling and not too affluent housing estate, which still remains predominantly council tenants and benefit recipients.  (Hands up who guessed Sussex Circus, Chad? Well done! ? )

Muckerette was stood in the (outside) queue for the post office the other day.  Mask already donned, as were the 3 in front of her.

3 teen girls walked past...
"Poo!"  cried girl No1.  "We need a face mask!" 
"Not for these sort of shops you don't.  That's only for proper shops" responded girl No 2.
"What.  Like them in town and Asda and stuff?" enquired girl No 3.
"Precisely that, mon cheri", replied girl No 2.

...Whereupon all three of them skipped merrily along... still mask-less, of course... and straight into the next door local co-op... quite possibly giggling and looking forward to buying some polo mints for the bus ride into town, before meeting up with their first shared boyfriend, for a snog relay!  

Like they say population density matters in more ways than one.

Scary stuff really.

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think someone is a little jealous!

I dare bet if he asked they would let @Mucker1884 share him too....

Or is that not what you mean? ??

45 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I dont think you can compare Sweden with the UK....Sweden population density 25 per km2 UK is 280 per km2 (England 400+ per km2)

I think you can compare public and official reaction. No fuss, no panic pretty much business as usual (I work daily with Nordic colleagues) and it shows in their economic situation and health impact. 

I agree though you can’t compare population density, however that’s our fault and a argument for  another thread probably not on this forum. That said the big cities population is fairly comparable with big cities outside of London in the UK. 

i just feel they have took the right approach and benefited from not having the mass hysteria we see in the UK.

With a huge amount of hindsight, would we have been better off with total lock down for just 3-4 weeks, followed by quick opening up to a similar point that we are at now? Masks and social distancing and mandatory isolation for anyone returning into the country.

I was certainly not suggesting this after a month of lockdown, but I was thinking that all of us who had been indoors for 4 weeks with no symptoms clearly did not have Covid.

If people at risk of infection (ie keyworkers) had been kept apart from those under lockdown, through specific transportation/shopping times etc, then there would have been little chance of infection between these 2 groups.

Does anyone think the chances of becoming infected now are much different to what they were at the end of April?

There were clearly 1000s of people dying at the end of April who very likely became infected in early March. Or when infected people were moved into care homes.

It would have been a very brave government to start opening up at that point, but could this have saved the economy and got schools opened earlier?

Deaths are a lagging indicator. Perhaps we have reacted too much to this metric, although leading indicators, like number of new infections, are almost impossible to measure.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I think you can compare public and official reaction. No fuss, no panic pretty much business as usual (I work daily with Nordic colleagues) and it shows in their economic situation and health impact. 

I agree though you can’t compare population density, however that’s our fault and a argument for  another thread probably not on this forum. That said the big cities population is fairly comparable with big cities outside of London in the UK. 

i just feel they have took the right approach and benefited from not having the mass hysteria we see in the UK.

Its an interesting take , although it is contrary to a popular belief that our attempt to maintain business as usual for as long as possible was incorrect and we should have locked down wider and faster.

Certainly had the public been more onboard to social distancing, not going to work etc when feeling ill then the severity of the lockdown may not have been required. The messages prior to lockdown were clear....if you feel ill stay at home....in my office alone 3 people were coughing and spluttering in the days running upto lockdown and continued being the 'hero' and coming to work.

They were never tested and likely didnt have Covid but just an example of how many of the public dont do what is asked of them, perhaps this is different in other countries. I am sure we all know of examples where people think social distancing, following the rules, wearing a mask etc is below them....for me this is the most frustrating thing.

Who knows...hopefully we don't get a sliding doors moment in future where we get to try it a different way to prove what we did and didnt get right.

Couple of thoughts. An earlier lockdown would have been a shorter lockdown.

Secondly, every shop/restaurant has had that 1 person without a mask on (restaurant when ordering). It seems to be a bravado/macho thing with some people. Looking at others, daring them to say something. 

10 minutes ago, sage said:

Secondly, every shop/restaurant has had that 1 person without a mask on (restaurant when ordering). It seems to be a bravado/macho thing with some people. Looking at others, daring them to say something. 

how to eat with a mask on?

2 hours ago, sage said:

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I refer the honourable member for Lower Kilburn to the section of my post in brackets and now like himself emboldened. 

More job losses in last 24 hours. DW Sports and WH Smith. I can't help but feel the Government, sat on their 80k basic salaries and 6 week summer holidays, are just losing control now. I dread what the future holds in October when furlough ends. Thousands of companies making redundancies, thousands more going bust with no money to even pay redundancies. We are walking into a catastrophe.

All because of poor Government decisions coupled with MSM whose sole aim seems to be to scare the crap out of you.

Attendance at A&E down by 50%, cancer treatments down by a similar number. Suicides up, mental health up, depression up. All of this because we now want to stop 10 hospital deaths a day (out of 1500 daily deaths) where pretty much every death now has another health issue connected.

Its crazy. I agree that returning to normal will increase cases, increase serious cases and most likely deaths. However the numbers will get nowhere near the deaths we will see due to other causes because we have failed other people now.

It's so sad.

11 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Maybe because they didn’t panic and continue not to panic ??‍♂️ maybe.......

Sweden's economy less hard-hit by coronavirus https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53664354

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Whereas what you say is true, they have also encouraged working from home, mask-wearing, social distancing, contact-tracing etc.

Sensible implementation of all the above might have helped here. However, that requires leadership and common sense (commodities which are in short supply in the UK).

They have also kept schools open for under 16's and their testing shows that infection rates are 0.05% in under 19's between Febrruary and June. May be they knew what they were doing.

8 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

They have also kept schools open for under 16's and their testing shows that infection rates are 0.05% in under 19's between Febrruary and June. May be they knew what they were doing.

I think they did, where as our approach seems to be based on mass hysteria from the public and MSM. Shame I thought we’d be better at dealing with something like this. 

27 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

The amount of coronavirus cases in Derby is on the rise. What are the number of cases do we have to hit before we are put into a local lockdown?

Woman from the council on RD this morning saying that cases are not on the rise - we've averaged around 20 cases for the past month or so apart from one week where the number dipped to 7 (and has now gone back up to 20ish) - typical RD trying to stir by reporting a steep rise based on 2 data points and not the average.....

11 hours ago, rammieib said:

More job losses in last 24 hours. DW Sports and WH Smith. I can't help but feel the Government, sat on their 80k basic salaries and 6 week summer holidays, are just losing control now. I dread what the future holds in October when furlough ends. Thousands of companies making redundancies, thousands more going bust with no money to even pay redundancies. We are walking into a catastrophe.

All because of poor Government decisions coupled with MSM whose sole aim seems to be to scare the crap out of you.

Attendance at A&E down by 50%, cancer treatments down by a similar number. Suicides up, mental health up, depression up. All of this because we now want to stop 10 hospital deaths a day (out of 1500 daily deaths) where pretty much every death now has another health issue connected.

Its crazy. I agree that returning to normal will increase cases, increase serious cases and most likely deaths. However the numbers will get nowhere near the deaths we will see due to other causes because we have failed other people now.

It's so sad.

A perectly valid opinion shared by many but maybe only until they have an otherwise healthy loved one catch it and die on a hospital trolley because all the beds & doctors are occupied - which would have happened more if we hadn't locked down in March.

I do wonder what the strategy is now, though.  I thought we were trying to limit cases and merely "flatten the curve" to stop the NHS being overwhelmed. The numbers of Covid cases in hospitals now are very small, so are we now trying to eliminate it altogether? - which will never happen.

I also think the furlough scheme is almost certain to be extended.

Is the NHS re-opened for standard treatments (cancer etc)?. I don't know.

The only time I've had to contact the doctor since March was for a dodgy mole - which has since fallen off, while I wait for an appointment to have it removed!

Archived