Coronavirus

1of4

5 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

A perectly valid opinion shared by many but maybe only until they have an otherwise healthy loved one catch it and die on a hospital trolley because all the beds & doctors are occupied - which would have happened more if we hadn't locked down in March.

I do wonder what the strategy is now, though.  I thought we were trying to limit cases and merely "flatten the curve" to stop the NHS being overwhelmed. The numbers of Covid cases in hospitals now are very small, so are we now trying to eliminate it altogether? - which will never happen.

I also think the furlough scheme is almost certain to be extended.

Is the NHS re-opened for standard treatments (cancer etc)?. I don't know.

The only time I've had to contact the doctor since March was for a dodgy mole - which has since fallen off, while I wait for an appointment to have it removed!

I agree with the above except I'm not sure the furlough scheme will be extended again.

With regard to the government, sadly it's a case of whatever they do in terms of lockdown would be wrong in someone's eyes. Too slow and it creates the problems highlighted by @rammieibbut too fast and we risk a second wave resulting in more local lockdowns.

The job losses are indeed very sad and a disaster for those involved but I'm not sure what more the government could have safely done. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree with the above except I'm not sure the furlough scheme will be extended again.

With regard to the government, sadly it's a case of whatever they do in terms of lockdown would be wrong in someone's eyes. Too slow and it creates the problems highlighted by @rammieibbut too fast and we risk a second wave resulting in more local lockdowns.

The job losses are indeed very sad and a disaster for those involved but I'm not sure what more the government could have safely done. 

I don't have an issue with what the Government did in April - June. No Government would have got all the answers right and criticism of their decisions back then is very easy when you're not making them.

My frustration is the now - the furlough scheme was great but I don't see what they are doing to address the impending issues about to hit us.

They say face masks will increase footfall on the street - it hasn't - it has reduced it by 5% or so. This has a knock on for the money spent in shops.

2 in 3 people who went on furlough are still on furlough. That is about six million people still furloughed.

We never reached capacity, never used any nightingale hospital (bar London which never went about 100 patients). The capacity is undoubtedly there.

@Van Wolfieis spot on - what is the end game right now? Has the media created this storm whereby saving 10-100 lives a day is more important than the 100's through cancer, more important than jobs, depression, mental health etc. Very few media outlets are reporting about the knock on effects yet. Maybe they do - in order to start changing a culture with what we see this virus as.

We're still six months away from a vaccine so are we planning to just muddle on through this with small lock downs which will jsut put more companies out of business and more unemployment?

I don't get the plan right now.

21 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I don't have an issue with what the Government did in April - June. No Government would have got all the answers right and criticism of their decisions back then is very easy when you're not making them.

My frustration is the now - the furlough scheme was great but I don't see what they are doing to address the impending issues about to hit us.

They say face masks will increase footfall on the street - it hasn't - it has reduced it by 5% or so. This has a knock on for the money spent in shops.

2 in 3 people who went on furlough are still on furlough. That is about six million people still furloughed.

We never reached capacity, never used any nightingale hospital (bar London which never went about 100 patients). The capacity is undoubtedly there.

@Van Wolfieis spot on - what is the end game right now? Has the media created this storm whereby saving 10-100 lives a day is more important than the 100's through cancer, more important than jobs, depression, mental health etc. Very few media outlets are reporting about the knock on effects yet. Maybe they do - in order to start changing a culture with what we see this virus as.

We're still six months away from a vaccine so are we planning to just muddle on through this with small lock downs which will jsut put more companies out of business and more unemployment?

Blaming the media makes no sense at all. The government is in charge and has a large majority too.

The government delayed lockdown too late, but that was not an easy decision to make. They did well on the quick furloughing scheme.

Many of the decisions since then have been poor. As you say, there is no plan. I'm not sure we have people capable of making a plan either.

And we are about to see huge unemployment when the furlough scheme ends abruptly. Then there is Brexit.

Turns out that leadership is rather different than winning a vote. Who would have thought it?

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Blaming the media makes no sense at all. The government is in charge and has a large majority too.

The government delayed lockdown too late, but that was not an easy decision to make. They did well on the quick furloughing scheme.

Many of the decisions since then have been poor. As you say, there is no plan. I'm not sure we have people capable of making a plan either.

And we are about to see huge unemployment when the furlough scheme ends abruptly. Then there is Brexit.

Turns out that leadership is rather different than winning a vote. Who would have thought it?

Hold on - the main BBC news yesterday reported the following:

1) There were 70 or so deaths (Whatever the PHE number is) yet made absolutely no reference to the farcical counting process that is under review that the PHE are using. So why report inaccurate information?

2) That Corona Cases were on the increase. They made no reference to the fact there were 140,000 odd tests, that tests are targeted in specific areas, that only 0.7% of tests are positive, that our number of new cases was less than Spain or Italy or that in the bigger picture, the trend is still substantially low. Basically to the naive watcher, they've just scared them again.

3) When they reported the hospital deaths, they bypassed this within seconds and DIDN'T mention that the hospital deaths was continuing on a decreasing trend.

The media are ENOURMOUSLY responsible for presenting the picture today.

No issue with Brexit - they've delivered something the people wanted, if this helps or hurts in the long run, that was the choice of the people, not the choice of the Government. 

Whether or not you think that is accurate reporting makes little difference to the decisions the government is making though. Did the BBC put Leicester, Manchester etc into lockdown?

I think Brexit belongs in another thread, but I think there may be some expectation that the people who told us it would be great now have to deliver something that is at least good. I'm even more worried now than I was at the start of the year.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

They don't present the whole picture though do they, not the half of it! Someone's making lots of Govt money from PPE!!!

"The second is that, apparently, Government was prepared to enter into a £252m contract – the largest we have yet seen for the purchase of PPE – with a £100 company owned by an adviser to Liz Truss (although, see above, you’re not allowed to know that anymore)..."

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

The crunch will come when the furlough scheme ends. It’s not too surprising the number on it is still high but, what we don’t know if what will happen in October. Some (probably many sadly) will lose their jobs but others will then return to work. That will be the real test.

Small, short term, localised lock downs may be the only way forward, as it seems to be in some other countries, but will that lead to lots more businesses folding? I’m not sure. 

That seems to be the policy, rather than “just muddling through” (obviously track and trace needs to be improved). I don’t know what the alternative is other than lifting the lockdown permanently which I can’t remember seeing advocated by any medical/scientific advisors or indeed politicians (maybe the odd one or two) of any of the other major parties (maybe they have been and I don’t catch enough news)

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They don't present the whole picture though do they, not the half of it! Someone's making lots of Govt money from PPE!!!

"The second is that, apparently, Government was prepared to enter into a £252m contract – the largest we have yet seen for the purchase of PPE – with a £100 company owned by an adviser to Liz Truss (although, see above, you’re not allowed to know that anymore)..."

Sadly, that is often the problem with the media. They only report what suits them and their own agenda.

5 hours ago, 1of4 said:

The amount of coronavirus cases in Derby is on the rise. What are the number of cases do we have to hit before we are put into a local lockdown?

Where you seeing that? The stats don't show that

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Derby

To me it looks like current measures (business reopened with strict rules, mask wearing and vigilant population with test & trace where possible ) are doing pretty well at containing outbreaks to low numbers.

The biggest danger right now is the morons who are pushing the narrative that this shows it's all OTT and an infringement of our freedoms, and we should somehow stop doing all these good things that are keeping the outbreaks contained

33 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Where you seeing that? The stats don't show that

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases?areaType=ltla&areaName=Derby

To me it looks like current measures (business reopened with strict rules, mask wearing and vigilant population with test & trace where possible ) are doing pretty well at containing outbreaks to low numbers.

The biggest danger right now is the morons who are pushing the narrative that this shows it's all OTT and an infringement of our freedoms, and we should somehow stop doing all these good things that are keeping the outbreaks contained

It was the main headline on RD this morning (based on stats from 2 weeks rather than the trend over time) - a headline they continued to broadcast even after their story had been de-bunked by a woman from the council....

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Hold on - the main BBC news yesterday reported the following:

1) There were 70 or so deaths (Whatever the PHE number is) yet made absolutely no reference to the farcical counting process that is under review that the PHE are using. So why report inaccurate information?

2) That Corona Cases were on the increase. They made no reference to the fact there were 140,000 odd tests, that tests are targeted in specific areas, that only 0.7% of tests are positive, that our number of new cases was less than Spain or Italy or that in the bigger picture, the trend is still substantially low. Basically to the naive watcher, they've just scared them again.

3) When they reported the hospital deaths, they bypassed this within seconds and DIDN'T mention that the hospital deaths was continuing on a decreasing trend.

No issue with Brexit - they've delivered something the people wanted, if this helps or hurts in the long run, that was the choice of the people, not the choice of the Government. 

Brexit has destroyed my aspirations, but I go along with it because the 'people' (those who voted at the time) wanted it.

Perhaps we ought to put the COVID-19 response to a referendum too, so we can really screw that up as well?

Nightingale hospital in London being taken down, it was unused. I’d of thought if there was going to be the “2nd wave” coming they’d have left it up? 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Whilst the financials of Ayanda Capital are not great, they are not a £100 company - tweets like that are frustrating.

However, that said, how they win a contract worth £252m is absolutely staggering and nothing on their website suggests they are anything to do with PPE.

Basically they are an agency who is sub-contracting the work to (most likely) overseas suppliers. They will be taking a heavy margin from this work (50-60% as a guess) and again, that is wrong.

So in conclusion, this is the type of deal a Government should absolutely not be signing up to. I also bet the Government won't get a single pound back on the masks which have been declared invalid.

8 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Nightingale hospital in London being taken down, it was unused. I’d of thought if there was going to be the “2nd wave” coming they’d have left it up? 

Agree would make sense but Given the abitlity or lack of to respond to the crisis Bojo and co have shown, I have wondered how much of the Nightingale plan was down to show if the Chinese can do it in a week so can we. The hospitals response has been remarkable and seeing how much they struggle in the winter months you would have expected a complete meltdown. Yet it did not happen and we ended up somehow with over capacity in time of major crisis,  who would have thought?

May they could do with something like the Spurs pitch where they press a button and it changes from football pitch to a concert floor!

Aberdeen player tested positive today. They've been training since Monday, and theres a game at 1230pm Saturday. 

Heres hoping Shinnie wasnt out in town on Saturday, I know he used to frequent a bar currently in the eye of the storm regarding the virus transmission. 

1 hour ago, CWC1983 said:

Aberdeen player tested positive today. They've been training since Monday, and theres a game at 1230pm Saturday. 

Heres hoping Shinnie wasnt out in town on Saturday, I know he used to frequent a bar currently in the eye of the storm regarding the virus transmission. 

And it gets better. 

8 players out on the lash Saturday night, 2 of which have returned positive results and the other 6 are self isolating for 10 days starting today. 

That means Aberdeen will be without 8 players for the next 3 games. 

I guess we will see who they are via the teamsheet on Saturday. 

16 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

And it gets better. 

8 players out on the lash Saturday night, 2 of which have returned positive results and the other 6 are self isolating for 10 days starting today. 

That means Aberdeen will be without 8 players for the next 3 games. 

I guess we will see who they are via the teamsheet on Saturday. 

They were just doing their patriotic duty though and helping the economy by drinking a British pint. I'm outside clapping them now.

7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

They were just doing their patriotic duty though and helping the economy by drinking a British pint. I'm outside clapping them now.

Looks like Bryson's one of them. Picture of the players doing the rounds atm. 

Archived