Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My niece is a district nurse based in Derby.

The last week she's had a fever, sore throat and diarrhoea. 

Had a Covid-19 test on Thursday, and has just returned negative.

Its hard to know whether to be grateful she hasn't picked it up, or sorry she hasn't and recovered!

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

My niece is a district nurse based in Derby.

The last week she's had a fever, sore throat and diarrhoea. 

Had a Covid-19 test on Thursday, and has just returned negative.

Its hard to know whether to be grateful she hasn't picked it up, or sorry she hasn't and recovered!

I now know three people locally who have been quite poorly with Corona-like symptoms and all three have tested negative. There must be something else going round but it must be pretty contagious, too.

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

I now know three people locally who have been quite poorly with Corona-like symptoms and all three have tested negative. There must be something else going round but it must be pretty contagious, too.

She lives out Allestree way, as I say I was hoping she'd had it and recovered, seems not.

10 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

She lives out Allestree way, as I say I was hoping she'd had it and recovered, seems not.

Dare I say If you have those symptoms, get a negative test back, with how much we read about false negatives and so on, you’re probably never going to truly believe it? 

Next step she will be desperate for is the antibody test in a couple of weeks time.

Stole this graph from a BBC article today.

Basically if you’re under 50 you are more likely to die over the next 12 months from a nine Covid related issue than am the virus.

Granted the lockdown has decreased the Covid numbers but it adds support and evidence that the economy needs to get going again soon as the risk for under 50’s is so small. I.e more likely to die of cancer or a car crash.

880EEB0B-C63D-473D-BE62-57048D0C8988.png

Sith Happens
Just now, rammieib said:

Stole this graph from a BBC article today.

Basically if you’re under 50 you are more likely to die over the next 12 months from a nine Covid related issue than am the virus.

Granted the lockdown has decreased the Covid numbers but it adds support and evidence that the economy needs to get going again soon as the risk for under 50’s is so small. I.e more likely to die of cancer or a car crash.

880EEB0B-C63D-473D-BE62-57048D0C8988.png

I dont want it once, never mind nine times.?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52760992

When you talk to intensive care doctors across the UK, exhausted after weeks of dealing with the ravages of Covid-19, the phrase that emerges time after time is, "We've never seen anything like this before."

But that still doesn't entirely explain why so many people infected with this coronavirus have only mild symptoms or even no symptoms at all, while others become dangerously ill very quickly.

"We've yet to fully understand this condition, it is baffling," admits Ron Daniels, pointing out that even in intensive care, patients present in a variety of different ways. "We can have a patient in their 70s who has isolated respiratory failure and just needs a bit of help with a ventilator. And we can have a patient in their 20s who develops multi-organ failure very quickly."

On 21/05/2020 at 09:41, Squid said:

not left the house in about 3 weeks.

feeling absolutely awful today, happy 20th birthday to me.

better not be covid, what a poo present that would be

not covid, just had food poisoning and a cold. lol

Sith Happens
57 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

Cases in Chaddesden should start dropping from today. 

0_WhatsApp-Image-2020-05-24-at-110717jpeg.jpg.dfadbd632251c9d2f48de2d04c600b1c.jpg

the morons who did it were probably dumb enough to try and video it and post it on snapchat and stand and complain about how little signal they were picking up 

18 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Just read about yet another test for CV19. Is it me or there seems to be many tests with varying methods and dgrees of accuracy?

Swab tests are not a good way of testing for a -ve outcome. It is easily possible to miss swab the virus especially after couple of days of contracting it.

It is only useful as a +ve in terms of accuracy. Blood test are much more accurate  or -ve.

5 hours ago, Mick Brolly said:

Cases in Chaddesden should start dropping from today. 

0_WhatsApp-Image-2020-05-24-at-110717jpeg.jpg.dfadbd632251c9d2f48de2d04c600b1c.jpg

I passed them installing this, on my bike ride on Wednesday, so I know it's exact location.  I was born, bred, and spent the first 17.5 years of my life living just a few hundreds yards from this location.  Never, in my 57 years on Earth, has that location been classed as Chaddesden.  Breadsall to some, or Breadsall Estate to others (to differentiate from the far more plush Breadsall Village).  But never Chad.

(For those that know the area, it's where the shared footpath/cycle path meets the Old Mansfield Rd, on the bend before rising up towards Derwent Heights/Ex Derwent Hospital.  So 20m to the left, from the bottom of Scabby Rise, directly across the green from the row of houses on Skipton Green).

That's not a dig at the OP, of course, but the ill-informed press.
Even the earlier police statement appears to reference Breadsall.

Pedantic maybe, but if the local press are gonna print Bamfordian info, then I'll Bamfordise them right back!  Grrrrrrr!  

The government are in a bit of a mess now.. Initially they played this down telling everyone that most would get mild symptoms, so as not to cause panic. Then they ramped up the rhetoric, focusing on the severe cases in order to scare everyone into adhering to lockdown. Now they need to scale that back in order for us to go back in stages.. Trouble is now, we have half the population petrified, 25% who don’t give a damn and 25% who are pushing the boundaries as much as is sensible.. 

I know one thing, I’m glad I am not having to make these decisions.  Listen to the science they say.. Only the science never agrees. No win for anyone in all this.

Archived