Coronavirus

1of4

Anyone still disagreeing with opening up the economy? Looks like the government have got the timing bang on. 

Expecting a huge rise in figures today, due to the weekend and Bank Holiday and how deaths are recorded, but that's hasn't happened either.

I'm sure another smaller spike is coming from the easing of the restrictions, but it really doesn't seem like the dreaded second wave is coming. Good news. Less damage to the economy etc. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lock down smaller areas ??? ,call me cynical but  I’m willing to bet the poorer and more disadvantaged in the country are going to be the ones that find themselves locked down and stopped from trying to earn a living and go about they’re lives whilst the affluent classes breeze through life getting more affluent 

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

Can you imagine how complex this will get? Are you allowed to travel from one region through an infected region to another? How do you know what state a region is in? What if you live in one lockdown state but are a teacher in another area?

The theory great, the practical side - wow, I wouldn't even want to go through this minefield.

The rules are applied by the 16 individual states. I live in Baden-Württemberg, which is strict, but right on the border with Rheinland-Pfalz (lax) and Hessen (even laxer). We went to Hessen at the weekend. Presumably individual local authorities would decide to close their shops and schools if need be. There would probably be no restriction on travel, but who knows?

I admit it is very complex scenario, and I'm just as clueless as the next man. 

35 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

What’s this track and trace thing they are bringing out? Do I need to download anything onto my phone?

The main thing to note is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52820592

The difference is that from Thursday, everyone with symptoms should ask for a test online or call 119.

But if the test comes back positive, the NHS Test and Trace team will get in touch - via text, email or phone call - to discuss who you have come into close contact with.  

1 minute ago, rynny said:

The main thing to note is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52820592

The difference is that from Thursday, everyone with symptoms should ask for a test online or call 119.

But if the test comes back positive, the NHS Test and Trace team will get in touch - via text, email or phone call - to discuss who you have come into close contact with.  

Is that it? For all our high tech investing and prototyping we end up with a freephone number and word of mouth?

On 26/05/2020 at 19:19, Archied said:

Lock down smaller areas ??? ,call me cynical but  I’m willing to bet the poorer and more disadvantaged in the country are going to be the ones that find themselves locked down and stopped from trying to earn a living and go about they’re lives whilst the affluent classes breeze through life getting more affluent 

It's been the case from day 1 that the areas of densest population have been the ones hardest hit. I can't see that changing.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Is that it? For all our high tech investing and prototyping we end up with a freephone number and word of mouth?

In a digital age, we have an analogue 'world-beating' solution.

Wonderful.

Just tell them u have a sore throat if they contact you, they’ll send you a test and if negative you can go on your way after 2 days and not 14.

If you don’t, they’ll want you to sit for 14 days and won’t send you a test if you’re not showing symptoms.

Why won’t they send you a test? Because you might be A symptomatic and not present symptoms. They even said that a test wouldn’t necessarily show positive as there’s been many fail results.

Worra load of guff.  The recent prem footballers where positive and Asymptomatic.

They make it up as they go along.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

This track and trace system is so basic that surely it could have been in place months ago?

It's full of holes. It's nothing more than some data being passed from the testing centres to a call centre. Plus a call handler script.

One of the govts science people said the aim was to reduce infections by 5-15% but admitted the higher number was dependent on people playing nicely. 

I have no problem with it being like this if it were presented as such. But already you can feel the spin being cranked up.

The Daily Fail for example, has taken a breath from its anti-Brexit bashing of Cummings to declare a "track and trace revolution ".....

7 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Didn't have the staff. 

I think it sounds like a good addition to the app tbh 

You only need to employ a call centre.

14 minutes ago, Boycie said:

These are volunteers though, £££££££

Excellent. Well done pink tie man. 
presumably we’re using the scouts to deliver the testing kits?

45 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's full of holes. It's nothing more than some data being passed from the testing centres to a call centre. Plus a call handler script.

One of the govts science people said the aim was to reduce infections by 5-15% but admitted the higher number was dependent on people playing nicely. 

I have no problem with it being like this if it were presented as such. But already you can feel the spin being cranked up.

The Daily Fail for example, has taken a breath from its anti-Brexit bashing of Cummings to declare a "track and trace revolution ".....

I am a bit surprised it's only likely to reduce infections by 5%! This track and trace stuff (I thought) had been said to prevent widespread infection in Korea and singapore.

Archived