Coronavirus

1of4

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You mean the guidelines Cummings followed? The Govt couldn't have made it's guidelines any clearer?

Not sure why you feel the need to put a political spin on my reply? - Cummins was (is?) a dick, but so are a lot of the general population - and folk using his actions as justification for their own stupidity need to give their heads a wobble.....

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

That’s a good question.

The way I understand it will work (similar to Germany I think) is:

The case handler will receive details of a person tested positive. They will then contact that person to find out who they have been in close contact (less than 2m) with for more than 15 minutes over a set period of time. They will then contact those people to tell them they should quarantine themselves. Even if each case handler only processes one case a day that’s just 4500 people required.

Maybe they want to ramp up numbers in case the number of positive test results increase significantly. Maybe they will over recruit (possibly sensible approach) as they did with the NHS Responder initiative for contacting vulnerable people (I volunteered right at the start and have remained “on call” throughout but not yet received an alert). Or, probably most likely, I am missing something and got this all wrong.

As this is launched with current social distancing rules in place, effectively it is asking people to potentially incriminate themselves and others - and of course there is no way of verifying information given (or lack of it).

Which is why we needed the objective app. That doesn't yet work.

I suspect in this form, the initiative will do well to achieve the lower end of the expected range. And yes, i realise that is better than nothing and every life is worth saving etc   BUT it will be spun to be something it is not and cannot be - and for that reason alone i am not giving the government any material credit for coming up with this. 

33 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Not sure why you feel the need to put a political spin on my reply? - Cummins was (is?) a dick, but so are a lot of the general population - and folk using his actions as justification for their own stupidity need to give their heads a wobble.....

That's the point, lots of 'potentially' stoopid people - need to be shown the correct way to behave, need role models, react to peer pressure. Not a lot of that coming from the Govt.

1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

Germany is still using pen and paper, there is no app. There is no way they can collect such detailed information.

I know I must be missing something but, why not?

I understand they have Recruited (or intend to) a similar number of case handlers.

So, if I was one of those handlers, I could receive a case in the morning and then speak to the person with the positive results. During that conversation I’d take down contact details for anymore they have been in contact with. There is an example on the BBC website where such a conversation took ten minutes. I could then spend the rest of the morning contacting those involved (can’t imagine there would be many). So, assuming I could get hold of these very few people, I could do at least two cases a day.

There is still the problem of data protection but Germany must have found a way round it.

31 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Got my test coming in the post in the next 48 hours on orders of my GP. My taste and smell have vanished again after coming back briefly. I am now being told to stay indoors until I have had my results, which is a shame because Durham looks bloody lovely at this time of year.

I hope test turns out negative mate some times if been feeling ill some times taste buds change lets hope that all it is.

47 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Got my test coming in the post in the next 48 hours on orders of my GP. My taste and smell have vanished again after coming back briefly. I am now being told to stay indoors until I have had my results, which is a shame because Durham looks bloody lovely at this time of year.

Best wishes with the test. In the meantime get yourself clued up for the visit.

58 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I take it you’re under 45 and have no underlying problems. If so I don’t think you have much to worry about but good luck all the same.

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You'll be able to spend more time on here mate.......?

Hope all is ok in the end.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I know I must be missing something but, why not?

I understand they have Recruited (or intend to) a similar number of case handlers.

So, if I was one of those handlers, I could receive a case in the morning and then speak to the person with the positive results. During that conversation I’d take down contact details for anymore they have been in contact with. There is an example on the BBC website where such a conversation took ten minutes. I could then spend the rest of the morning contacting those involved (can’t imagine there would be many). So, assuming I could get hold of these very few people, I could do at least two cases a day.

There is still the problem of data protection but Germany must have found a way round it.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who sign themselves into restaurants  under the name of Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. Or John Smith.

1 minute ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

I'm sure there are a lot of people who sign themselves into restaurants  under the name of Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck. Or John Smith.

I'm sure there are but that's not how the system is going to work here or, in Germany I thought according to the article I saw on the BBC. In both cases I thought the positive tested person would be asked who they'd been in contact with.

My apologies, I thought you were suggesting the German authorities wouldn't be able to cope with the volume because they were using paper and pen rather than the fact that they're relying on the honestly of the population. 

51 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I'm sure there are but that's not how the system is going to work here or, in Germany I thought according to the article I saw on the BBC. In both cases I thought the positive tested person would be asked who they'd been in contact with.

My apologies, I thought you were suggesting the German authorities wouldn't be able to cope with the volume because they were using paper and pen rather than the fact that they're relying on the honestly of the population. 

No, they look at the lists to see who that person has been in contact with. That's a vast amount of paperwork to deal with, apart from the problem of people giving false names. There is no electronic database that you can search, unless they scan all those hand-written lists into a computer.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

That would be quackers.

4 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You could always go for a drive to see if your sense of smell comes back?

2 hours ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

That would be quackers.

No need to be bitter.

9 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

So now we're criticising the Govt for being too well prepared and potentially over-resourced. Got it.

MTC

4 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Best I can offer is Bull Durham, which makes a change from most of the bull about Durham.

I think it's available on both Amazon Prime and Netflix, but I could be wrong.

Who doesn't like a bit of Kevin Costner ?

Also, let's hope that you get the result you want.

Archived