Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the wife and I are going out for a walk at the weekend - taking our own chairs, a couple of freezer packs, some beer and a picnic. We will be very careful with respect to social distancing. It may be somewhat irresponsible of me, but I have been sheltering in place for 10 weeks now utterly and totally, never venturing more than two metres from my front door, and when Boris decided that he was going to basically ignore the question from the lady who is in a similar situation, just fobbing her off with a non-committal say nothing answer, that made my decision for me. Nothing will change until we get a vaccine, and even then there are doubts as to whether we will get one that is effective, and for how long it will be.

Both mine and my wife's mental health is suffering terribly, and today's dodging of the question brought things to a head for us both. I'm getting even more cranky than normal (I don't really hate you - well, not all of you all of the time at any rate), and I am sick to death with people making decisions which they say is for my own good, whilst doing the opposite themselves. 

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well, the wife and I are going out for a walk at the weekend - taking our own chairs, a couple of freezer packs, some beer and a picnic. We will be very careful with respect to social distancing. It may be somewhat irresponsible of me, but I have been sheltering in place for 10 weeks now utterly and totally, never venturing more than two metres from my front door, and when Boris decided that he was going to basically ignore the question from the lady who is in a similar situation, just fobbing her off with a non-committal say nothing answer, that made my decision for me. Nothing will change until we get a vaccine, and even then there are doubts as to whether we will get one that is effective, and for how long it will be.

Both mine and my wife's mental health is suffering terribly, and today's dodging of the question brought things to a head for us both. I'm getting even more cranky than normal (I don't really hate you - well, not all of you all of the time at any rate), and I am sick to death with people making decisions which they say is for my own good, whilst doing the opposite themselves. 

Enjoy your day out you cranky old sod. Not too many beers mind if you haven’t driven for more than a couple of months. In case you do get stopped, don’t fall for this police tactic

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Well, the wife and I are going out for a walk at the weekend - taking our own chairs, a couple of freezer packs, some beer and a picnic. We will be very careful with respect to social distancing. It may be somewhat irresponsible of me...

I don't think it is. Plus they say that catching the virus is about 'quantity' of contact. So I'm sure if you stay well away from everyone else you'll be fine. Don't forget the soap and water though! ?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Well, the wife and I are going out for a walk at the weekend - taking our own chairs, a couple of freezer packs, some beer and a picnic. We will be very careful with respect to social distancing. It may be somewhat irresponsible of me,...

Yes.  Yes it is!
You'll need at least 4 freezer packs.  Have you any idea how gloriously hot it's been out there, for the past 5 weeks!   

??

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I’ve seen loads of old folk out today in B & Q and Morrisons. No one cares anymore unless you have a political point to score.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Enjoy your day out you cranky old sod. Not too many beers mind if you haven’t driven for more than a couple of months. In case you do get stopped, don’t fall for this police tactic

Thanks. Not driving anywhere - we can just walk down the lane a mile and a half to the River Trent, then hop over the style into the big meadow. Just need to watch out for adders - or accountants in general, I suppose.

22 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I’ve seen loads of old folk out today in B & Q and Morrisons. No one cares anymore unless you have a political point to score.

My disgust indicator and hypocrisy detector are both broken now. Perhaps it's for the best.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

Best I can offer is Bull Durham, which makes a change from most of the bull about Durham.

I think it's available on both Amazon Prime and Netflix, but I could be wrong.

Who doesn't like a bit of Kevin Costner ?

Also, let's hope that you get the result you want.

I certainly don't when he's singing.  The best write up I heard for the nepotism twosome was ' I'd rather eat my own head than hear Costner sing again ' which is impossible but still amusing .

When he couldn't get a single bum on seats after about 1998 however, he did a very good film called  Mr Brookes where he plays a serial killer. No one seems to have seen it but me . I can heartily recommend it as one of the better films I've seen in the last 10 years.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I certainly don't when he's singing.  The best write up I heard for the nepotism twosome was ' I'd rather eat my own head than hear Costner sing again ' which is impossible but still amusing .

When he couldn't get a single bum on seats after about 1998 however, he did a very good film called  Mr Brookes where he plays a serial killer. No one seems to have seen it but me . I can heartily recommend it as one of the better films I've seen in the last 10 years.

Mr. Brooks is a genuinely unsettling film.  Kevin Costner and William Hurt playing off each other to perfection.  Costner surprised me there.

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Go for it.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Go for it.

Couldn't sleep last night - having serious doubts sorting out in my own mind whether or not what I'm considering doing is the right thing to do. Feel totally helpless and somewhere between 'forgotten' and 'completely ignored'.

Perhaps this discussion ought to be in the 'mental health' thread.

5 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Couldn't sleep last night - having serious doubts sorting out in my own mind whether or not what I'm considering doing is the right thing to do. Feel totally helpless and somewhere between 'forgotten' and 'completely ignored'.

Perhaps this discussion ought to be in the 'mental health' thread.

Your proposal outlined last night, including carrying chairs for a mile and a half and back does not follow your usual logical thought process. If you drive Eddie I would suggest your first step should be to go for a drive today, before the weekend, and head for a bit of open space. 15 minute stop, avoiding people the best you can other than perhaps a cheery wave. Step two tomorrow.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Your proposal outlined last night, including carrying chairs for a mile and a half and back does not follow your usual logical thought process. If you drive Eddie I would suggest your first step should be to go for a drive today, before the weekend, and head for a bit of open space. 15 minute stop, avoiding people the best you can other than perhaps a cheery wave. Step two tomorrow.

Or I could do what I normally do (and all to frequently for my own good) - sit in my back garden and open another bottle.

The chairs are very light and each comes with its own holdall. In the before-times, we (ok, 'I') would carry them and a shoulder bag containing the booze/picnic. The walking was/is the whole point.

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think, from the balance of risk, that if you are able to find a quiet spot to sit then a walk out sounds the best course of action. Yes, its not risk free but a reasonable trade-off of the mental damage which you are now certainly suffering with something that is - with sensible precautions - very unlikely (but horrible if it were to occur).

I'm not insensitive to your dilemma as we're trying to plan how we can celebrate parents golden wedding on July 11th without exposing them to too much risk. it's also mothers birthday tomorrow but i won't be seeing her as it isn't 260 miles from Hampshire to Belper so i won't be allowed......

I wish you both well, whatever you decide.

I had a test as part of the statistical survey, got the results three times-Negative

Took 5 days, then I got a text, then an e-mail and then 2 days later a real paper letter, all saying exactly the same thing.  seems a bit of overkill but I guess only the snail mail required human intervention (and cost).

36 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

I had a test as part of the statistical survey, got the results three times-Negative

Took 5 days, then I got a text, then an e-mail and then 2 days later a real paper letter, all saying exactly the same thing.  seems a bit of overkill but I guess only the snail mail required human intervention (and cost).

The medics seem to be saying that to get a decent benefit from track and trace you need to be able to get test results in 48 hours, as the first 3 days are crucial. So the labs have got to up their game if its currently taking 5 days to get en e-alert out.

Unless they ARE getting results in 48 hours but acting 1st on the positive ones.......but if you could know sooner, you'd like to I think?

Archived