Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I would rather the cat took control.

The problem with government, in these times as well as ordinary ones, is that no one really knows what they are talking about. Michael Gove a poor journalist being put in charge of education all those years ago - he knew nothing about it, as an example, and made a terrible mess.

I have always found the system strange. I would much rather have someone who has worked within health care being in charge of the nhs / health secretary, for example, and if this isn’t possible then they should be immersed in it’s operation and find out what it is like to be a doctor, a nurse, a consultant, a porter, an admin worker etc. It would be like me being put in charge of the biscuit factory, oft talked about on these pages, and being expected to make strategic decisions. What the chuff do I know about a biscuit factory?

Anyway, I am looking forward to the Downing Street cat’s press conference tonight when it can explain where the PPE is for our key workers and what on earth is going on with testing.

I know what you mean. I can see how someone like a CEO, who will be experienced in listening to lots of different people and deciding the way forward could, excel in different industries. Preferably though, you would want to have a CEO of say a hospital to have experience of working within a similar type if industry. The successful Biscuit making CEO is not experienced in efficiently providing health care.

However, with many of ministers in government, they haven't even had comparable jobs in other sectors. Been a journalist seems like hopeless preparation. Editor of a large paper could work.

It can't be a coincidence that the Chancellor seems to know what he is talking about, as he has a background in finance. Likewise, the new shadow chancellor immediately sounds good due to her previous career.

Wouldn't we surely be better of with lawyer as home secretary, an experienced ambassador as foreign secretary, an ex-military chief in defence, a successful headteacher on education etc etc? A successful CEO as PM?

Perhaps not. But surely preferable to ex-journalists or people who have spent a lifetime in Westminster.

In the US that doesn't seem to be the same, while a majority of the deaths are people above 60

with underlying conditions..  asthma, previous history of Pneumonia, Diabetes, COPD  etc..

we are also having healthy people pass away in every age range. So there is some thought here that

this is mutating all the time. We had about 70 teenagers get it, after going on a package holiday for 

spring break.

Also, please remember that if you get this, the chances of a complete recovery with no after effects are

doubtful!

Originally it was thought by a lot of younger people that they could get this, but because of theior age

it would be just a mild bout - however it spreads to your family, parents, kids relatives etc..who are

probably not as strong.

Just heard on the news here that a Tiger at the New York Zoo has it - so not sure what this means re  pets etc..

My family have a healthcare Facility, and so are keeping our fingers crossed - we are on lockdown (3 weeks now)

and are not allowed out without masks and gloves etc.. at the moment we dont have any residents with this?

Good luck, and stay safe!

I'm deeply distrustful of all these statistics. The figures for deaths are recorded when the virus is present in the body but it's not known how many died because of the virus or would have died anyway. The figures for deaths don't include those who died in care homes or at home either.  And the number of people infected don't include those who have isolated at home. 

I suppose at least the figures provide some sort of consistency in showing increases/decreases. 

1 minute ago, Turk Thrust said:

I'm deeply distrustful of all these statistics. The figures for deaths are recorded when the virus is present in the body but it's not known how many died because of the virus or would have died anyway. The figures for deaths don't include those who died in care homes or at home either.  And the number of people infected don't include those who have isolated at home. 

I suppose at least the figures provide some sort of consistency in showing increases/decreases. 

All I can say is, the government wouldn't have put all these measures in place if it wasn't very serious. If it was a conspiracy to overplay the seriousness of this disease, we've managed to unite the government, the US government, the Chinese government and the Russian government to support the same conspiracy theory. 

Numbers have always been manipulated. I still can't see how only 80 people died in the Grenfell Tower fire. I just can't see how that's true. I'm sure that numbers are sanitised for public viewing, to give us more confidence and to prevent public unrest if they feel it needs doing. And if I'm honest I don't have a problem with that in this case.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I do feel highly differently about this I dont doubt people are dieing from but been here since before christmas lasy year yet they were not brothered about closing places were they not one bit.

There is no evidence to suggest it was in the UK before Christmas.

11 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I don't think it's a case of being distrustful, it's just accepting the fact that they don't tell the full story. As you say, the data only includes those that have died in hospital and the number of infections obviously only includes those that have been tested. 

The trends are probably the most important things although, even these should be viewed with some caution. For example, the number of new cases may increase but this could be down to the fact that more people are being tested - even those with no symptoms (starting with the NHS staff initially but eventually spreading wider)

On 04/04/2020 at 09:32, maxjam said:

Interesting video I just stumbled across about how China have tackled their coronavirus outbreak 

It doesn't blame China for anything, just shows their hi-tech approach to dealing with it, makes ours look quite backwards in comparison.  Interesting viewing.

And it's gone....

Watched it the other day and was very interesting. As they say, never let a crisis go to waste and the CCP certainly didn't. 

Sith Happens

Numbers have dropped again, however has to be treated with caution as the same happened last weekend before a big increase....

In many cases, coronavirus will be like pneumonia used to be. What they called the old man's friend. 

Something which attacks a weakened immune system and ends life. 

The key issue is not so much the death as the impact of so many cases within a short period and the effect that has on NHS staff. 

Having no cure must be desperately hard for staff. They must feel not only exhausted but helpless. 

They are also tasked with telling loved ones over the phone that the patient has died. 

Those who act selfishly should remember these knock on impacts. 

27 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

There is no evidence to suggest it was in the UK before Christmas.

Come off it you people coming into uk all over the world or otherway round so the it could been here for months before lock down.

Archived