Chasing the playoffs

StruttsParkRam

I don’t really see why some people think we are bound to be chasing automatic promotion next season. The team is an ill assorted bag of mashings. We seem no closer at game 35 to knowing our best eleven, than we did at game 5.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I don’t really see why some people think we are bound to be chasing automatic promotion next season. The team is an ill assorted bag of mashings. We seem no closer at game 35 to knowing our best eleven, than we did at game 5.

I agree with the first bit but what's your definition of "knowing our best 11"?. If it's naming a squad that all the fans agree with, then it aint going to happen - for any club.

How do you know Cocu doesn't know exactly who the best 11 are?. How many of those 11 are currently out injured or suffering dips in form, or don't suit the opposition we happen to be playing next?.

5 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

I agree with the first bit but what's your definition of "knowing our best 11"?. If it's naming a squad that all the fans agree with, then it aint going to happen - for any club.

How do you know Cocu doesn't know exactly who the best 11 are?. How many of those 11 are currently out injured or suffering dips in form, or don't suit the opposition we happen to be playing next?.

Who is his preferred right back?

who is his preferred left back?

who is his preferred no9?

Is Waghorn preferred as a striker or a midfielder?

Why is Marriott suddenly the preferred option to lead the attack?

the only constant seems to be change.

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

Who is his preferred right back?

who is his preferred left back?

who is his preferred no9?

Is Waghorn preferred as a striker or a midfielder?

Why is Marriott suddenly the preferred option to lead the attack?

the only constant seems to be change.

I've already answered that. Availability and horses for courses.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

was thinking about this earlier.

no point even bothering now.

Just get enough points to maintain survival, and then look at bringing more youth through

Whittaker, Sibley, Knight, Bird, Trialist, Stretton, Shonibare etc.

May aswell if you ask me.

I was pleasantly surprised by Whittaker last night. Looked very good. Better than I thought he could be.

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

Who is his preferred right back? Bogle

who is his preferred left back? Lowe

who is his preferred no9? Depends who we're playing

Is Waghorn preferred as a striker or a midfielder? CF, but lack of options out side means we need him there instead

Why is Marriott suddenly the preferred option to lead the attack? 1st league start since early Feb isn't being the preferred option. 

the only constant seems to be change. Most of the time it's required

This season's playoffs were out of reach realistically some time ago in my opinion. Unless we get hit with a big points deduction at the end of the season i also don't envisage a relegation battle. It's been a transition season with so many disruptions but we've also found out where the weak links of the squad are after being patched up by 3 outstanding loans last season.  

57 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

1) Why are people obsessed with a points deduction that might not even happen?

2) There’s no such thing as a best 11 anymore, even Liverpool don’t have a set one that starts every week. You need a good squad, players that can be called upon when needed.

Not sure we’re obsessed with it but, you can’t ignore the possibility and just bury your head in the sand over the issue.

2 hours ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

There’s no such thing as a best 11 anymore, even Liverpool don’t have a set one that starts every week. You need a good squad, players that can be called upon when needed.

Not really.  liverpool have been remarkably consistent in the selection of the league team. 

8 outfield players have started 22 of the 27 league games (80%), the keeper started 19 of 27, and two more have started 13 of 27.

liverpool know their best 11. 

Q How many of our players have started 80% of league games?

Answer 2 

that says it all. 

Absolutely no doubt about it now: a nine point deduction leaves us inside the bottom 3 and that is the BEST case scenario if we're found to be guilty. We have an inability to win away from home regardless of the opposition and only face one other team outside the top half at home. 

I don't know if it's quite time to panic, but the severity of the situation needs to be acknowledged. We could well have an academy crowned European Champions in the same season as our first team is relegated to League One. It has to be said that would be fairly remarkable. 

Our fixtures are difficult, our home form is going to be vital.  I would rather we get the deduction now, then we can see how our players deal with the pressure of a relegation battle. It would also give cocu the perfect opportunity to see who he wants to keep next season. 

15 hours ago, RamNut said:

What has disappointed me about Cocu is the number of changes he makes from match to match. Players do well and are rewarded with the bench, the latest example being Craig Forsyth.

21 hours ago, Van Wolfie said:

Cos the vast majority of the (many) changes in the team from match to match recently have not been down to injury.

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Absolutely no doubt about it now: a nine point deduction leaves us inside the bottom 3 and that is the BEST case scenario if we're found to be guilty. We have an inability to win away from home regardless of the opposition and only face one other team outside the top half at home. 

I don't know if it's quite time to panic, but the severity of the situation needs to be acknowledged. We could well have an academy crowned European Champions in the same season as our first team is relegated to League One. It has to be said that would be fairly remarkable. 

I see you keep saying 9 points minimum, where exactly are you getting this from?

7 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Because Forsyth can’t play 3 games a week.

Neither can Martin, Davies too. 3 important parts of the team have to be rotated. 

I think a lot of this is unfair criticism. Waghorn and Lawrence are the only two attacking players who are reliably fit and have the required work rate. Only Knight and Bird (plus Rooney since he arrived) have been fit and available all season for midfield! Not to forget Clarke has missed a chunk of the season through injury. Lowe gets suspended just as he makes himself first choice. Add into that the general changes in form...

This in part has led to us being a distinctly average team. Losing at Bristol and losing Holmes finished any hopes of the play offs.

Aim for a couple more wins and then look towards next season, give those younger players we may want to use next season a go. And tell Bird his phone and his agents are off all summer.

Archived