v QPR (a) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

That's why I said almost. He slightly lost him once and he scored from a very difficult half-chance. In contrast,  QPR gave Waggy the freedom of the pitch last night. I know he worked hard to create his chances and his build up play was excellent last night, but his finishing is not good. How I wish Chris Martin had Waghorn's legs! 

Suspect @Van der MoodHoover is pulling your leg @angieram as the game was played Friday night, hence the 'no goal on Saturday' stuff. You have to watch him as he's a tricky so-and-so! ?

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overcomplicating the way we play at the back has really been our downfall away from home. I'm all for playing from the back, but at least try and do the basics of defending right whilst settling into the game. Curtis Davies was a great no nonsense defender, trying to watch him play possession based football makes me feel sorry for him. I feel at times we sacrifice defending instincts for the sake of playing football around the back which I don't agree with. Nothing makes me more frustrated than seeing defenders trying to be clever and creating problems from their own possession. Away from home, we've got to keep it tighter at the back. We always seem to concede the first goal away from home and we can't recover.

5 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Overcomplicating the way we play at the back has really been our downfall away from home. I'm all for playing from the back, but at least try and do the basics of defending right whilst settling into the game. Curtis Davies was a great no nonsense defender, trying to watch him play possession based football makes me feel sorry for him. I feel at times we sacrifice defending instincts for the sake of playing football around the back which I don't agree with. Nothing makes me more frustrated than seeing defenders trying to be clever and creating problems from their own possession. Away from home, we've got to keep it tighter at the back. We always seem to concede the first goal away from home and we can't recover.

Derby like most other clubs haven’t got the skill needed to play out from the back.

24 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

Derby like most other clubs haven’t got the skill needed to play out from the back.

Too true. If there were goalkeepers and centre backs available who are able to play decent football out from the back consistently without making mistakes then they certainly wouldn’t be playing in the Championship. 

41 minutes ago, Turnstile said:

Interesting to hear Bucko's comments on RD last night, he was suggesting a similar thing. Saying (paraphrased, I think this was the jist) that it's good to play out from the back but you've got to know when to get rid - we don't (or have been told not to) seem to do that well either? 

39 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Interesting to hear Bucko's comments on RD last night, he was suggesting a similar thing. Saying (paraphrased, I think this was the jist) that it's good to play out from the back but you've got to know when to get rid - we don't (or have been told not to) seem to do that well either? 

Now I love Bucko as much as anyone, but one could argue that if he knew when to get rid then Derby County’s last 6 years would have been very, very different

1 hour ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Too true. If there were goalkeepers and centre backs available who are able to play decent football out from the back consistently without making mistakes then they certainly wouldn’t be playing in the Championship. 

What escapes my grasp is why are we persisting to integrate a culture of playing out from the back with players who more than likely won't be at the club anyway next season  - Matt Clarke returned from loan, Curtis Davies really should be looking at moving on

8 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

What escapes my grasp is why are we persisting to integrate a culture of playing out from the back with players who more than likely won't be at the club anyway next season  - Matt Clarke returned from loan, Curtis Davies really should be looking at moving on

I agree.

The principle of playing out from the back I can get on board with.

Watching the Hamer to Davies to Clarke, to Davies, to Hamer axis I can't.

In fact I dread us having a goal kick these days, I'd rather the opposition had a corner ?

4 minutes ago, Carnero said:

I agree.

The principle of playing out from the back I can get on board with.

Watching the Hamer to Davies to Clarke, to Davies, to Hamer axis I can't.

In fact I dread us having a goal kick these days, I'd rather the opposition had a corner ?

If done with a purpose it’s fine but when it’s pedestrian and predictable it is frustrating. You can feel the tension building in the crowd, especially at home. Hamer is guilty at time when a break is on and he has runners he will feign to play it early when we all know it will never happen. Sometimes a player just needs to take a risk and play it into a forward area yet none of our players appear to be brave/good enough. 

It was awful again last night. I wish they would not do it for the first 20 mins away from home full stop. Hamer takes too long on the ball as does Clarke, Davies can't do it but it's not just about the keeper and the two centre backs. We are doing it to make the whole team used to the way we play and hopefully they will improve next year. The new centre back will be better at it next year. They'll be on the look out for a suitable keeper as well. 

21 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The rest of the team will still be playing in a team wanting to play out from the back. We haven't got the players further forward to go more direct 

6 hours ago, goldstar said:

Its a forum, so of course i understand not everyone's going to agree with what i think, but a few people are poised to start an argument from the off. Not an understandable "really, i disagree, here's why", but attacking your character, being aggressive and pretty confrontational. 

Not to mention they never are like this to the mods, or well known posters, they keep quiet if they disagree with them. Nope, they love to go after newer forum members where they feel the big man.

Its the hypocrisy that does my head in. Some of these posters (its not many), are the first to spout #BeKind and post on the depression, stress thread in the Jim Smith Room, yet don't think about how they are on here. 

I love Derby, i love this forum for the most part, but i am sick of bracing myself for a heated debate when it is so much easier to calm down and have a discussion instead of getting personal. 

And for whats its worth, i agree with about 90% of your posts, dont think you are overly negative at all, and even so that's your opinion. 

It’s only heated if you see it like that ...what you probably mean is that someone doesn’t agree with you ...it’s a forum mate so guess that’s what happens 

for the record I only ever speak how I would speak to someone face to face unlike some keyboard warriors who say things they’d never say to someone personally but behind a keyboard think it’s ok to be rude or personal 

Jourdan doesn’t like Cocu it’s a fact and at first his constant digs and criticism ( which of course is his opinion and his entitlement ) were no different to any others ...the difference is he pretends to like Cocu and tries to come across whiter than white yet is always moaning and digging our manager out ...then when someone questions him ...eg what changes would you have made ? He ignores it ....so it comes across as just plain moaning ...then we play well with the team that he criticised prior to kick off then jumps straight in again with negative statements like “ the last 4 games Cocu has been negative” when it’s not a fact ...criticise 2 points from the last 4 games because it’s fact but bending things to constantly gripe  is a different matter and I don’t think I’m the only one who sees it this way 

51 minutes ago, S8TY said:

It’s only heated if you see it like that ...what you probably mean is that someone doesn’t agree with you ...it’s a forum mate so guess that’s what happens 

for the record I only ever speak how I would speak to someone face to face unlike some keyboard warriors who say things they’d never say to someone personally but behind a keyboard think it’s ok to be rude or personal 

Jourdan doesn’t like Cocu it’s a fact and at first his constant digs and criticism ( which of course is his opinion and his entitlement ) were no different to any others ...the difference is he pretends to like Cocu and tries to come across whiter than white yet is always moaning and digging our manager out ...then when someone questions him ...eg what changes would you have made ? He ignores it ....so it comes across as just plain moaning ...then we play well with the team that he criticised prior to kick off then jumps straight in again with negative statements like “ the last 4 games Cocu has been negative” when it’s not a fact ...criticise 2 points from the last 4 games because it’s fact but bending things to constantly gripe  is a different matter and I don’t think I’m the only one who sees it this way 

No what i mean is, people like you are the typical "i say it how it is". No, you're rude and confrontational when at the end of the day, it is a game of football. Just because you a few love heart emojis doesn't mean you are any better than anyone else, or have any more credibility.

You don't agree with what Jordan is putting, fair enough, youre not going to change his mind and repeatedly calling him out is going to achieve what exactly? You said it, it's a forum, and opinions differ. I get that yours is different to mine, i just don't like the way you've gone about it, difference is i didn't call you out by name and start picking you individually apart. 

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

In fairness though, I don’t usually ignore people’s comments. But on some threads, if you have a certain view, you can be quoted by 5-6 people or more at one time and it can be very time consuming to explain yourself to so many people.

I think you‘re right in saying that my comments on Cocu are no different to any other’s.

I actually think Cocu is a good manager and was surprised he came here. I also think he’d be more suited to managing in La Liga or Ligue 1. He seems to be a good guy too. 

The thing is I like him. I’d like him even more if he got results. Isn’t that true of all managers?

And well no I am not whiter than white. But again I am giving my opinion like hundreds of others and trying to see the good but why should I ignore the bad? When you win just 2 from 17 away from home, you are there to be shot at.

Personally for me, moving away from Wisdom and Clarke at centre back, putting Shinnie in midfield rather than Knight or Sibley, dropping Bogle and Martin was a clear move to try to be more solid when probably for us, attack is the best form of defence.

8 hours ago, goldstar said:

Its a forum, so of course i understand not everyone's going to agree with what i think, but a few people are poised to start an argument from the off. Not an understandable "really, i disagree, here's why", but attacking your character, being aggressive and pretty confrontational. 

Not to mention they never are like this to the mods, or well known posters, they keep quiet if they disagree with them. Nope, they love to go after newer forum members where they feel the big man.

Its the hypocrisy that does my head in. Some of these posters (its not many), are the first to spout #BeKind and post on the depression, stress thread in the Jim Smith Room, yet don't think about how they are on here. 

I love Derby, i love this forum for the most part, but i am sick of bracing myself for a heated debate when it is so much easier to calm down and have a discussion instead of getting personal. 

And for whats its worth, i agree with about 90% of your posts, dont think you are overly negative at all, and even so that's your opinion. 

Thank you for this post. I appreciate it.

For what it’s worth, I think we are all just frustrated.

And to be honest, I think this forum is full of decent people who can sometimes say something amiss. We are all guilty of it.

No hard feelings towards anyone.

35 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Personally for me, moving away from Wisdom and Clarke at centre back, putting Shinnie in midfield rather than Knight or Sibley, dropping Bogle and Martin was a clear move to try to be more solid when probably for us, attack is the best form of defence.

Ah, see, a constructive critique! I still don't agree with you mind! ?

Archived