v QPR (a) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

For me our performances aren't far off, just the final ball or our finishing that lets us down. The number of clear cut chances Waghorn has missed is astounding. Davies doesnt look comfortable on the ball and imo makes Clarke look edgy, Clarke is much better with Wisdom alongside him. We really do make it easy for the opposition to score against us away.

Really missing Holmes breaking the lines, Rooney needs to be in the 2 with Bird not in the 10. If Cocu doesnt want to put Lawrence there again then maybe try Marriott off Martin.

On the whole wasnt a bad performance but unfortunatly sits alongside Stoke, Barnsley, Luton & Bristol in games we should have won away but come back with 2pts out of 15. 

I do think this will help us come good next season though once Cocu has his own players in like Te Wierik, roll on next season!!

i was there last night mate and your post is spot on , cant believe some of the stuff being posted again , we are talking very fine margins , a misplaced pass , a scuffed shot , lets move on to saturday and see if we can get that bit of luck that you need in away games COYR

5 hours ago, nottingram said:

Now I love Bucko as much as anyone, but one could argue that if he knew when to get rid then Derby County’s last 6 years would have been very, very different

Short memories  - there was a time when Buxton was very highly praised  on here for his long passes out of defence   .. so not really fitting with your point.

26 minutes ago, angieram said:

What I would like to know is why, after Rooney's misplaced pass, neither Shinnie or Bird brought Eze down? Neither had been booked yet they both seemed to pull out of the tackle.

Bird you could put down to lack of experience. Shinnie though...

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Short memories  - there was a time when Buxton was very highly praised  on here for his long passes out of defence   .. so not really fitting with your point.

I was referring to a single infamous high profile incident at Wembley where Bucko failed to just get rid. Think I made it pretty clear in my post that I rated him very highly but thanks for the condescending post anyway

Love to know @Archied why u don’t think our turgid away form isn’t anything to do with cocu’s tactics and the way he has us line up and set to play ?

His worry about them attitude 

convince me why a solitary two wins on the road this year and a back catalogue of thumpings and inept displays arnt anything to do with the manager or his tactics 

this ought to be good ?

Can I bring popcorn ? 

Must admit I only saw the last 25 mins or so last night, but it didn’t strike me as being an inept performance.  Was it particularly bad before that?

Obviously I saw another silly goal conceded, which is frustrating, but I also saw us create quite a few chances and but for better finishing we could easily have gotten at least a point.  Again, only going on what I saw.  

19 hours ago, angieram said:

What a frustrating evening in Shepherd's Bush that was.

It's really difficult to see the strange mix of sublime one touch football and schoolboy errors in the same 90. One minute we look supreme, the next we are shaky and slow, devoid of ideas.

It's easy to pick a team with hindsight, but the concerns about QPR'S pace that brought a return for Lowe might also have prompted a similar recall for Bogle? Davies clearly can't play twice in three days - he must have been shattered from the almost perfect close marshalling job he did on Mitrovic on Saturday -  and the QPR forwards were relying on pace rather than heading ability so I think Wisdom would have been fine in the centre back position tonight.

We miss Holmes's running yet we have brought In Shinnie to replace him and pushed Rooney further forward. I'm not sure why when we have both Knight and particularly Sibley who can run at defences. Rooney playing deep with Bird is when we look our best and we surely have to use this season to try these things out with our younger players. 

Up front I think we should have started Martin and brought Marriott on, not the other way round - or even moved Waghorn to centre when Martin tired and bring Whittaker on. I am less convinced about Marriott every time I see him. He doesn't fit our team, whether he's a good player or not. 

Waghorn and Lawrence must play  - their work-rate was tremendous, and even though Waghorn's finishing was awful tonight he still scored because he gets in positions to score. Lawrence put in a good defensive shift and won back a lot of balls despite not having much in the way of openings further forward.

That leaves our goalkeeper - I am in the small minority of fans who would ignore the boo boys and start Roos every game. If we are going to persist with playing out from the back he is far better at it than Hamer, and when he does go long he is more accurate than Hamer, too. He also happens to be a very good shot-stopper, which might just have prevented their second goal. I'd take a little uncertainty around catching v punching over the slow decision making and general lassitude of Hamer's play. Yes, he made one very smart low save tonight but other than that I was quite disappointed with his contribution and the way his indecision slows the game down.

As for our general performance,  yes, we could have won it with better finishing  and without the defensive mistakes but we didn't and Cocu keeps saying after matches we could have won it and we played well but for the defensive mistakes and it's getting a little tiresome. I want him to be braver and try to go out and win games from the start because we look a lot better when we are on the front foot. If he doesn't feel he has the right experienced players to do this  try some of the youngsters because I would rather lose with a few more of them in the side than lose with players who I can't see being here for the long term.

Final frustrations? Their first goal coming from a corner that clearly wasn't (although it was in play long enough for us to have dealt with it and we didn't); Waghorn getting booked for something the referee clearly didn't see but just taking their players' words for; then inexplicably completely ignoring a foul on Waghorn by a player who had already been booked which he did see and awarding a corner instead when if there was no foul it should have been a goal kick. Just a few reminders that lady luck had certainly deserted Derby County this season, on and off the field! 

PS - still not home, it took an age to get out of London and the M1 has its usual mish-mash of overnight lane closures. 

Current feeling: grumpy. ??

What a great post.

You're definitely one of my favourite match summariser and always seem to have watched the same game as me!

Well, leaving the Rooney and Hamer faux pas aside for now, there were two main causes of last night's defeat: playing out from the back ad nausea, and Waghorn not being a striker who can control a football.

For the first 15 minutes QPR looked absolutely awful. Play like that and they are going down, and probably bouncing straight through to League 2. if we had gone hell for leather (as per the good old days under Clough and Taylor, who always started matches like that) and the game would have been over pretty much straight away. So we dillied and dallied around instead. And gradually it dawned on QPR that we were still trying to play out from the back with the ball-playing equivalent of neanderthals, and showed no sign of mixing it up at all.

So little by little they started to press us, quickly working out that as well as pressing our back line, if they pressed the midfield as well then all will be good. And all was good - for QPR. So instead of a bit of "chuckle brothers footy before moving the ball forwards, there often wasn't a way out via the midfield, so we did two or three rounds of chuckling before the ball ended up having to go long.

IN actual fact, when we did start to play through midfield we moved the ball well. But boy does Waghorn frustrate. He works really hard, does a lot of good defensive work, and gets into good positions, but how he can be rated as a forward I have no idea. As well as the sitters, he was played in by a lovely link ball from Marriott but his shins operate like those pillars in a pin-ball machine and the ball shoots away from him. He had two or three such opportunities to break into the area and blew them all. We also had an awful start by Davies - the poor guy gets forced onto the middle of the stage when even though he hates the spotlight.

Positives are Bird - where have I seen that comment before? And Tom Lawrence - he covers loads of the pitch, and as I mentioned in the last match report he seems to have learned how to tackle without giving away silly fouls. He did find a couple of blind alleys, but provided both threat and cover. Good lad! And compliments to Max Lowe - he does seem to have shown some improvement defensively, and carried on as normal when Clarke came on. The winger gave him a torrid time in one of the matches against Leeds last season, and Lowe could have let him get in his head. No such thing, so well done Max.

The Marriott critics have been out in force again. No he wasn't AWOL, he was hung out to dry. He spent most of his match right on the shoulder of the last man, waiting to pull the trigger, but either the ball never came, or it was over or under hit. tT wasn't that he wasn't finding the right place to be, like Waggy does, because that is not his game. NEITHER IS THE LONE STRIKER ROLE, WHICH IS THE ONLY ONE THAT COCU SEEMS TO GIVE HIM. The poor sod hardly got any service. In addition he did do some good link up play, and played a couple of balls in, one to Waghorn who fluffed it. 

Rooney wasn't quite up to his usual standard, but still pretty damn good, and some of his passes were almost as good as Max Bird's, so not too bad. It was spoilt by that loose pass, but he wasn't the only player on the pitch - there was still half the midfield and a whole backline between the poor pass and the goal. And Hamer - He didn't flap at the ball, because he didn't move his arms - they remained hanging down, instead of him moving his hands to where the ball was going to be. It was almost as though he had decided that he was beaten before the ball left the striker's boot. Not good enough by far. And yet again we had a flurry at the end when we scared the pants of QPR - the players and the manager have said so since then. So if we can suddenly turn up the gas at the end, why on earth don't we do it earlier, or as I have now said twice already, why don't we do it from the start and completely knock the stuffing out of the opposition. 

A good thing about our recent few matches is that we have been seeing both commitment and progress, but last night was a bit of a plateauing. There was indecision and sloppiness, but I have heard somewhere that we had 17 shots overall, which is quite remarkable for an away match. QPR were there for the taking, as that stat, if correct, would indicate, so we can still be optimistic. How about we set the team up for a couple of matches to play to Marriotts strengths, instead of shoe-hornging into a role that doesn't fit him? And how about using Sibley to provide the forwards thrust we have lost since Holmes went home?

Oh well. Here comes Saturday.

6 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The Marriott critics have been out in force again. No he wasn't AWOL, he was hung out to dry. He spent most of his match right on the shoulder of the last man, waiting to pull the trigger, but either the ball never came, or it was over or under hit. It wasn't that he wasn't finding the right place to be, like Waggy does, because that is not his game. NEITHER IS THE LONE STRIKER ROLE, WHICH IS THE ONLY ONE THAT COCU SEEMS TO GIVE HIM. The poor sod hardly got any service. In addition he did do some good link up play, and played a couple of balls in, one to Waghorn who fluffed it. 

Do you really think that? I think Marriott is a great striker and certainly knows where 'to be' (as does Martin). It seems that Waggy gets more chances and (perhaps) is encouraged to play the striking role he does by Cocu. According to the stats we had 4 'on target' not a great number. But when they are falling to Waghorn through dint of being 1st choice then he needs more than that number to score twice I think. There was some stats showing goals per minutes on the pitch and Waghorn wasn't no.1. So it seems Cocu gives the choice to 'hard-working, low-converting' Waggy over Martin or Marriott. I wish we would play more to Marriott, why not he's a tremendous finisher and a really decent footballer, I don't get it. 

4 hours ago, Premier ram said:

i was there last night mate and your post is spot on , cant believe some of the stuff being posted again , we are talking very fine margins , a misplaced pass , a scuffed shot , lets move on to saturday and see if we can get that bit of luck that you need in away games COYR

Agree some of our football was very good again, Bird is looking one hell of a player at the mo, yes our defence need to not give so many chances away but apart from that we are starting to look a good team, we should also convert more of our chances, but at least we are creating them now, plenty of positives, let's hope for 3 points away to Wednesday on Saturday, a few off my mates will be there, but unfortunately I have got to work this Saturday, hope all off u who are going will be happy rams come 5oclock Saturday tea time. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you really think that? I think Marriott is a great striker and certainly knows where 'to be' (as does Martin). It seems that Waggy gets more chances and (perhaps) is encouraged to play the striking role he does by Cocu. According to the stats we had 4 'on target' not a great number. But when they are falling to Waghorn through dint of being 1st choice then he needs more than that number to score twice I think. There was some stats showing goals per minutes on the pitch and Waghorn wasn't no.1. So it seems Cocu gives the choice to 'hard-working, low-converting' Waggy over Martin or Marriott. I wish we would play more to Marriott, why not he's a tremendous finisher and a really decent footballer, I don't get it. 

Agree, Roy. But Marriott is more than likely playing to instruction, and is being asked to play a different game to the one Waggy is asked to play. And yes, there were only 4 shots on target, but how many more went off target? The actual numbers isn't that important, the point is that we are having shots. Only a short time ago we kept going through matches hardy mustering a single shot, so we are doing all right. Ish!

3 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Agree, Roy. But Marriott is more than likely playing to instruction, and is being asked to play a different game to the one Waggy is asked to play. And yes, there were only 4 shots on target, but how many more went off target? The actual numbers isn't that important, the point is that we are having shots. Only a short time ago we kept going through matches hardy mustering a single shot, so we are doing all right. Ish!

Well not really, we're still losing lots of away games. Why then is Marriott being asked to play in the way you think? He'd score more than Waghorn would if both were in similar positions. TBH he'd also control the ball and pass better but maybe not from out wide. So that's it then...

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well not really, we're still losing lots of away games. Why then is Marriott being asked to play in the way you think? He'd score more than Waghorn would if both were in similar positions. TBH he'd also control the ball and pass better but maybe not from out wide. So that's it then...

Perhaps he would if we park the bus and hit balls over the top for him to chase but even then I’m not so sure , he has messed up some good chances in the time we’ve seen him too

16 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Love to know @Archied why u don’t think our turgid away form isn’t anything to do with cocu’s tactics and the way he has us line up and set to play ?

His worry about them attitude 

convince me why a solitary two wins on the road this year and a back catalogue of thumpings and inept displays arnt anything to do with the manager or his tactics 

this ought to be good ?

Can I bring popcorn ? 

Would try to debate with you if I thought worthwhile but to be honest what your seeing is so far off planet from what I’m seeing there really is no point , didn’t see for one minute a negative team and set up to counter qpr , saw a team that played decent stuff but never took their chances and defenders not fully concentrated for 90 mins and making some bad decisions that cost us

6 hours ago, Archied said:

Would try to debate with you if I thought worthwhile but to be honest what your seeing is so far off planet from what I’m seeing there really is no point , didn’t see for one minute a negative team and set up to counter qpr , saw a team that played decent stuff but never took their chances and defenders not fully concentrated for 90 mins and making some bad decisions that cost us

Oh u make me laugh 

so we’ve got the 2nd worst away record in the entire division and ur saying it’s not the managers fault ??? Lmao 

u even summed it up so eloquently... we didn’t take our chances and we can’t defend 

Sorry is it Phillip cocu or Ronald McDonald that’s selecting The  players week in week out on the road and deciding who plays where??

one off defeats happen, bad runs happen? It’s the championship, no matter how far off the planet u seem to think I am I know that happens it’s football, we’ve no divine right 

but when a team has the second worst away record in the league after 3/4s of the season the buck stops with one guy ??

what don’t u get about that 

it’s all very well us passing it and having lovely high Possession stats but it’s what teams do in the boxes that counts 

and as u say on the road we can’t defend and we can’t finish what chances we do fashion 

yes we created a few against qpr and Luton but if they’re the “highlights” your clinging too then god help us, maybe we just sweep under the rug, Brentford, charlton, fulham, Hull ..... i can keep going u know ....... sadly 

as I originally said cocu has a lot to learn still about this division pure and simple... what isn’t clear about that ???

I’m sure he’d happily admit the champsionship has taken him by surprise.

6 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Oh u make me laugh 

so we’ve got the 2nd worst away record in the entire division and ur saying it’s not the managers fault ??? Lmao 

u even summed it up so eloquently... we didn’t take our chances and we can’t defend 

Sorry is it Phillip cocu or Ronald McDonald that’s selecting The  players week in week out on the road and deciding who plays where??

one off defeats happen, bad runs happen? It’s the championship, no matter how far off the planet u seem to think I am I know that happens it’s football, we’ve no divine right 

but when a team has the second worst away record in the league after 3/4s of the season the buck stops with one guy ??

what don’t u get about that 

it’s all very well us passing it and having lovely high Possession stats but it’s what teams do in the boxes that counts 

and as u say on the road we can’t defend and we can’t finish what chances we do fashion 

yes we created a few against qpr and Luton but if they’re the “highlights” your clinging too then god help us, maybe we just sweep under the rug, Brentford, charlton, fulham, Hull ..... i can keep going u know ....... sadly 

as I said cocu has a lot to learn still about this division pure and simple... what isn’t clear about that ???

I’m sure he’d happily admit the champsionship has taken him by surprise.

If we stick to the facts then yes we have the second worst away record in the league

Does the manager of the club take accountability for this - absolutely

Has the manager in this instance had total control of all factors leading to this abysmal string of away results - not so sure 

Archived