v QPR (a) - Matchday Thread

Bubbles

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a frustrating evening in Shepherd's Bush that was.

It's really difficult to see the strange mix of sublime one touch football and schoolboy errors in the same 90. One minute we look supreme, the next we are shaky and slow, devoid of ideas.

It's easy to pick a team with hindsight, but the concerns about QPR'S pace that brought a return for Lowe might also have prompted a similar recall for Bogle? Davies clearly can't play twice in three days - he must have been shattered from the almost perfect close marshalling job he did on Mitrovic on Saturday -  and the QPR forwards were relying on pace rather than heading ability so I think Wisdom would have been fine in the centre back position tonight.

We miss Holmes's running yet we have brought In Shinnie to replace him and pushed Rooney further forward. I'm not sure why when we have both Knight and particularly Sibley who can run at defences. Rooney playing deep with Bird is when we look our best and we surely have to use this season to try these things out with our younger players. 

Up front I think we should have started Martin and brought Marriott on, not the other way round - or even moved Waghorn to centre when Martin tired and bring Whittaker on. I am less convinced about Marriott every time I see him. He doesn't fit our team, whether he's a good player or not. 

Waghorn and Lawrence must play  - their work-rate was tremendous, and even though Waghorn's finishing was awful tonight he still scored because he gets in positions to score. Lawrence put in a good defensive shift and won back a lot of balls despite not having much in the way of openings further forward.

That leaves our goalkeeper - I am in the small minority of fans who would ignore the boo boys and start Roos every game. If we are going to persist with playing out from the back he is far better at it than Hamer, and when he does go long he is more accurate than Hamer, too. He also happens to be a very good shot-stopper, which might just have prevented their second goal. I'd take a little uncertainty around catching v punching over the slow decision making and general lassitude of Hamer's play. Yes, he made one very smart low save tonight but other than that I was quite disappointed with his contribution and the way his indecision slows the game down.

As for our general performance,  yes, we could have won it with better finishing  and without the defensive mistakes but we didn't and Cocu keeps saying after matches we could have won it and we played well but for the defensive mistakes and it's getting a little tiresome. I want him to be braver and try to go out and win games from the start because we look a lot better when we are on the front foot. If he doesn't feel he has the right experienced players to do this  try some of the youngsters because I would rather lose with a few more of them in the side than lose with players who I can't see being here for the long term.

Final frustrations? Their first goal coming from a corner that clearly wasn't (although it was in play long enough for us to have dealt with it and we didn't); Waghorn getting booked for something the referee clearly didn't see but just taking their players' words for; then inexplicably completely ignoring a foul on Waghorn by a player who had already been booked which he did see and awarding a corner instead when if there was no foul it should have been a goal kick. Just a few reminders that lady luck had certainly deserted Derby County this season, on and off the field! 

PS - still not home, it took an age to get out of London and the M1 has its usual mish-mash of overnight lane closures. 

Current feeling: grumpy. ??

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Just back via a circuitous route. I took a friend who's played at a high level and he said he thought the future looked bright for Derby. So much skill, balance and poise with the young players.

The sad truth tonight is that we were streets ahead of QPR in terms of ability, yet somehow conjured up a defeat. There was a lovely ole passage for ten minutes in the second half when we went forward and they couldn't get near us.

Sadly, what I call the Clement disease still infects our team. Our first thought is always backwards. We receive the ball and instinctively turn towards our own goal. It may be we have ten yards of space to run into in front of us, but our opponents stand between the Rams' player and our own goal knowing that is the way we will go and more often than not they will nick the ball off us.

Then, we cannot play out from the back with Hamer and Davies in the team. Neither can pass. A five-year-old new to football would recognize this. If we want to play out from the back then Roos must go in goal, Wisdom into central defence and Bogle at right back.

The first goal was all on Keith Stroud. The forward lost control of the ball and ran it out of play. Disappointed he raised his he\d upwards in frustration. Then shaking his head at his lack of control he turned and started running back to the halfway line for the goalkick. Stroud and his lino gave a corner. It looked almost like cheating.

There was a moment in the first half when Max Bird was on a fast break and the QPR player rugby tackled him, jumping on Bird's back and dragging him to the ground. Was that a booking? Of course not. In the second half with a dangerous Derby freekick a defender collapses as if shot four or five times, writhing on the ground as though he has seconds to live. Then he jumps to his feet and claims Waggy kicked him. I didn't see iit. Stroud certainly didn't see it. Most likely Waggy might have accidentally trod on his foot. Stroud decides to book Waggy for something he has no idea about, but still allow the  Derby freekick. WTAF?

Late in the game Waggy is clear on the right. The defender dives in out of control. Waghorn lifts the ball over him and decides to take the hit. Will the card be yellow or red? We hope for red and chant "off, off". Stroud gives a corner? WTAF again?

The second goal was all on Rooney. I hated his last 10 years for England because he would get the ball in midfield, bring it under conrtol, take a tough, look out to the wing, take another touch and then float a 40 yard  ball towards the winger. Everyone knows that's his game. The defender read it, intercepted and 5-10 seconds later the ball's in our net.

Rooney did some good stuff but OMG his set pieces were absolutely awful.

Bogle for Davies and Martin for Marriott were the right changes, Whittaker did really well  when he came on. Great save from a Waggy header near the end. Think I have video I'll  try to post. Then Waggy is free with the last kick of the game and the goal gaping. He connects well but it's two inches wide. Terrible miss. But I suppose at least he was there.

Max Bird streets ahead of anyone else on the pitch as man of the match. At the start of the season I would never have expected to say that. Well done him.

Should have been 1-4. That is was 2-1 is largely our own fault. But it means the playoffs are gone with only the Cup of interest this season. Play Sibley and Whittaker from now on, and Jason Knight, as we prepare for next season when we will do really well.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Just back via a circuitous route. I took a friend who's played at a high level and he said he thought the future looked bright for Derby. So much skill, balance and poise with the young players.

The sad truth tonight is that we were streets ahead of QPR in terms of ability, yet somehow conjured up a defeat. There was a lovely ole passage for ten minutes in the second half when we went forward and they couldn't get near us.

Sadly, what I call the Clement disease still infects our team. Our first thought is always backwards. We receive the ball and instinctively turn towards our own goal. It may be we have ten yards of space to run into in front of us, but our opponents stand between the Rams' player and our own goal knowing that is the way we will go and more often than not they will nick the ball off us.

Then, we cannot play out from the back with Hamer and Davies in the team. Neither can pass. A five-year-old new to football would recognize this. If we want to play out from the back then Roos must go in goal, Wisdom into central defence and Bogle at right back.

The first goal was all on Keith Stroud. The forward lost control of the ball and ran it out of play. Disappointed he raised his he\d upwards in frustration. Then shaking his head at his lack of control he turned and started running back to the halfway line for the goalkick. Stroud and his lino gave a corner. It looked almost like cheating.

There was a moment in the first half when Max Bird was on a fast break and the QPR player rugby tackled him, jumping on Bird's back and dragging him to the ground. Was that a booking? Of course not. In the second half with a dangerous Derby freekick a defender collapses as if shot four or five times, writhing on the ground as though he has seconds to live. Then he jumps to his feet and claims Waggy kicked him. I didn't see iit. Stroud certainly didn't see it. Most likely Waggy might have accidentally trod on his foot. Stroud decides to book Waggy for something he has no idea about, but still allow the  Derby freekick. WTAF?

Late in the game Waggy is clear on the right. The defender dives in out of control. Waghorn lifts the ball over him and decides to take the hit. Will the card be yellow or red? We hope for red and chant "off, off". Stroud gives a corner? WTAF again?

The second goal was all on Rooney. I hated his last 10 years for England because he would get the ball in midfield, bring it under conrtol, take a tough, look out to the wing, take another touch and then float a 40 yard  ball towards the winger. Everyone knows that's his game. The defender read it, intercepted and 5-10 seconds later the ball's in our net.

Bogle for Davies and Martin for Marriott were the right changes, Whittaker did really well  when he came on. Great save from a Waggy header near the end. Think I have video I'll  try to post. Then Waggy is free with the last kick of the game and the goal gaping. He connects well but it's two inches wide. Terrible miss. But I suppose at least he was there.

Max Bird streets ahead of anyone else on the pitch as man of the match. At the start of the season I would never have expected to say that. Well done him.

Should have been 1-4. That is was 2-1 is largely our own fault. But it means the playoffs are gone with only the Cup of interest this season. Play Sibley and Whittaker from now on, and Jason Knight, as we prepare for next season when we will do really well.

Your friend who played at a high level? How high? Premier League? Championship? Mickleover Sports? Cmon we'd love to know.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

The thing is Cocu has moved away from what was serving the team well.

Having a go at teams and being positive.

Obviously Holmes is a big miss. But clearly in the past four games, Cocu has let his negative approach creep back out.

Personally I’d rather win 4-3 than draw 1-1.

Here we go again ...you’re always ready poised to criticise as soon as the result doesn’t go our way ...I remember before the Fulham game you said Cocu had made too many changes and when someone asked you what changes you would’ve done you ignored it!!!

now again you’re spouting crap again ...what negative approach is it that you’re actually talking about ?? We could’ve won that tonight with better finishing but no it’s all Cocus fault ....please give the man a break pal ....you never have anything good to say ....you turn it any angle you choose to fit a flimsy statement like he’s moved away from being positive??? When did he do that then?? Constant moaning and bending things to suit the fact you don’t like Cocu.....we’ve actually played some decent stuff recently  with the same squad ( except Rooney ) that started the season minus our best defender and captain and our record signing but you keep looking for those negatives mate ....

23 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Here we go again ...you’re always ready poised to criticise as soon as the result doesn’t go our way ...I remember before the Fulham game you said Cocu had made too many changes and when someone asked you what changes you would’ve done you ignored it!!!

now again you’re spouting crap again ...what negative approach is it that you’re actually talking about ?? We could’ve won that tonight with better finishing but no it’s all Cocus fault ....please give the man a break pal ....you never have anything good to say ....you turn it any angle you choose to fit a flimsy statement like he’s moved away from being positive??? When did he do that then?? Constant moaning and bending things to suit the fact you don’t like Cocu.....we’ve actually played some decent stuff recently  with the same squad ( except Rooney ) that started the season minus our best defender and captain and our record signing but you keep looking for those negatives mate ....

Here we go again. It’s what I say to myself every time we play away from home.

And just as much, I’ll be poised to praise Cocu when something goes our way - which I did plenty of during our good run from the end of December to early February.

Trust me, if we win on Saturday, I’ll be the one of the first on here to give Cocu credit and point out all of the positives.

You and many others get all worked up trying to frame certain posters as negative and incessant.

People are just calling it as they see it. Just because some people think Cocu gets it right and others think he gets it wrong, it doesn’t change the fact that everyone wants the team and Cocu to do well.

It’s just sad the way some posters go after other posters because of their differing opinions.

I could understand it if I was unpleasant. But I have been pretty respectful to everyone in my time on the forum, with the exception of perhaps one poster.

Let’s just live and let live. Hopefully Cocu can get back to what was working well for us just a few short weeks ago - disregarding the opposition, being positive and just playing to our strengths.

I am sorry to have to say this,But what Derby is lacking is the ability to pass from  some players in Derby defense, thats why we get too many sideways and backward passes to team mate who havent got a clue what to do with it once they have it.Surely a shortish pass to either Rooney or Bird should be the out ball all the time

2 hours ago, S8TY said:

Recently we have secured 2 points from 4 games, which is hardly progress. Cocu has to take some responsibility for this

we simply cannot keep a clean sheet - Two clean sheets in 18 games - means that we have to score 2 or 3 just to get a point.  

Our away record  with just 2 wins and 10 defeats is only slightly better than barnsley's  W2 D3 L11, 9 pts. 

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It’s just sad the way some posters go after other posters because of their differing opinions.

Its a forum, so of course i understand not everyone's going to agree with what i think, but a few people are poised to start an argument from the off. Not an understandable "really, i disagree, here's why", but attacking your character, being aggressive and pretty confrontational. 

Not to mention they never are like this to the mods, or well known posters, they keep quiet if they disagree with them. Nope, they love to go after newer forum members where they feel the big man.

Its the hypocrisy that does my head in. Some of these posters (its not many), are the first to spout #BeKind and post on the depression, stress thread in the Jim Smith Room, yet don't think about how they are on here. 

I love Derby, i love this forum for the most part, but i am sick of bracing myself for a heated debate when it is so much easier to calm down and have a discussion instead of getting personal. 

And for whats its worth, i agree with about 90% of your posts, dont think you are overly negative at all, and even so that's your opinion. 

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Pretty poor performance across the 90 that. Not absolutely awful as some are saying on here - sadly we’ve seen much worse away from home this season, but still not particularly great. We had a couple of decent spells, especially at the start of the second half, but they were too few and far between. Main problem was the distribution out the back, which was by and large pretty crap. Davies, Hamer, Clarke, Shinnie etc were all far too slow and ponderous moving the ball around, and it made it far too easy for QPR to press us and force us long - inevitably resulting in us losing possession since Marriott couldn’t win a header to save his life. Midfield was also a bit nervy at times, Shinnie especially gave away the ball cheaply on a few occasions with poor control/ passing, allowing QPR to break. There were still some positives in our play up front mind, when we did get the ball up there we generally looked very threatening with our incisive passing and movement, and created a number of decent chances. We just weren’t clinical enough really in that respect. But the trouble is, we’re never gonna have success unless we get the ball up front more often than we did today - that was the biggest problem - and that will only come from playing out the back quicker and better than we did today. 

Ratings for me:

Hamer 6 - One good save, but his distribution was horrible

Wisdom 6 - Poor today, gave the ball away far too often, and was torn apart in defence. Improved a bit when he went to CB

Davies 7 - Passing wasn’t the best, but he remains the best option we have in terms of defending aerial threats

Clarke 6 - Not good enough today, passing was very slow and he ending up lumping it forward and conceding possession too often. Relatively solid at the back but we need more from a ball playing CB.

Lowe 7 - Kept his winger quiet and looked dangerous in the final third. Just didn’t get the ball too him enough 

Bird 7 - Another excellent game. Nice assist from the corner, and some wonderful vision with his first time passes. Could do with being a little stronger sometimes, but he looks almost too intelligent for most his teammates sometimes

Shinnie 6 - Poor today. Too slow on the ball, gave the ball away cheaply too often, and too many loose touches as well. A couple of good tackles in there, but needs to be better on the ball

Waghorn 7 - Wasteful in front of goal, but his general play was pretty good. Some intelligent runs and passes, and a good header to keep his goal tally up

Rooney 7 - Some worldie passes and touches as per, but gave the ball away a couple of times and his set pieces weren’t great either

Lawrence 7 - Worked hard and made some nice link up passes, but nothing really came off today

Marriott 6 - Ran around a bit in the press, but otherwise totally and utterly anonymous 

Subs:

Martin 6 - Somehow managed to be even less effective than Marriott. Impressive, in a bad way

Whittaker 6- Pick of the subs with the odd decent run/ pass

Bogle 6 - Looked nervous off the ball and had little effect on it

Pretty poor performance but you've gone 66767767776-666. 

Looks a pretty above average one to me! 

34 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Pretty poor performance but you've gone 66767767776-666

Looks a pretty above average one to me! 

I always go with the old football manager style of ratings, where 6 really isn’t very good. It’s a flawed system, but it’s too ingrained in me from years of playing it to bring myself to do anything different.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

you missed the most important bit......

....how did you get on in the vestibule??

7 hours ago, angieram said:

What a frustrating evening in Shepherd's Bush that was.

It's really difficult to see the strange mix of sublime one touch football and schoolboy errors in the same 90. One minute we look supreme, the next we are shaky and slow, devoid of ideas.

It's easy to pick a team with hindsight, but the concerns about QPR'S pace that brought a return for Lowe might also have prompted a similar recall for Bogle? Davies clearly can't play twice in three days - he must have been shattered from the almost perfect close marshalling job he did on Mitrovic on Saturday -  and the QPR forwards were relying on pace rather than heading ability so I think Wisdom would have been fine in the centre back position tonight.

Nah it was a doddle I think you'll find on Saturday Angie - Davies didn't have to move and bottled up Mitrovic so well he didn't score.......

...on Saturday...?

On 24/02/2020 at 12:02, erathirea said:

Need to win.

I always say it's possible to catch up (or be caught up) by as many points as there are games left. With 12 games left, we're 11 from playoffs, and 11 from relegation. If we draw, it'll mean we can (probably) be neither caught, nor catch up.

If we lose, we can only really look backwards (though I don't think we've anything to fear there).

Win, and we can still dream.

Obviously there's next to no science in that, but hey.

It's ok, guys!

Preston and Brentford are still catchable ?

11 hours ago, goldstar said:

Its crazy, Waghorn scores and im still not confident in him, that last miss was horrendous. Frustrating as Marriott never seems to get those chances and if he did, i think he'd bury them. 

Bird was great tonight though! Shinnie was off it, id have Knight next game. 

Why do you think Marriott never seems to get those chances ? Sadly he offers little.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Nah it was a doddle I think you'll find on Saturday Angie - Davies didn't have to move and bottled up Mitrovic so well he didn't score.......

...on Saturday...?

That's why I said almost. He slightly lost him once and he scored from a very difficult half-chance. In contrast,  QPR gave Waggy the freedom of the pitch last night. I know he worked hard to create his chances and his build up play was excellent last night, but his finishing is not good. How I wish Chris Martin had Waghorn's legs! 

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

Not sure why Cocu is getting stick for tonight, only so much he can get out of the players. It's clear the keeper, some of the defenders and the strikers aren't good enough to be above where we are. 

If Cocu gets the credit for our excellent home performances it seems a tad inconsistent that he should take no responsibility for

our repeated shocking away results.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Great report, Carl - I think we were at the same game! 

Archived