Is Cocu improving Tom Lawrence

Archied

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Just like criticising a player after one bad game, I don’t think you can make comments suggesting that Lawrence has definitely improved after one good game. After all, we’ve seen it all before with Tom - he has one good game then vanishes. Hopefully that won’t be the case this time, but he needs to show some consistent form for me to start believing he’s anything more than an average player at this level. 

For me, Lawrence hasn’t changed under any manager during his time here. He’s not got better and he’s not got worse. He’s still exactly the same inconsistent player who has one good game in 10 that he’s always been - exactly the same as the majority of widemen at this level, in fairness. He’s never been as bad as some would have you believe, but he’s never shown the consistency to be considered a top player at this level. Hopefully this can be the start, but I remain to be convinced.

Not based on one game , just seems to be looking more like a team player and less petulant over the last few games , interested to see if anybody else thought the same or if I am imagining it

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Archied said:

Not based on one game , just seems to be looking more like a team player and less petulant over the last few games , interested to see if anybody else thought the same or if I am imagining it

Fair enough. I’d tend to agree with you, but again I’d add the caveat that it’s only been 3/4 games. In the Hull game he impressed me as a team player, and since then he seems to have generally done well. But he’s gotta keep it up now, he had a a similar run around October time when he was good - before a horrendous run of form in the lead up to Christmas.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Fair enough. I’d tend to agree with you, but again I’d add the caveat that it’s only been 3/4 games. In the Hull game he impressed me as a team player, and since then he seems to have generally done well. But he’s gotta keep it up now, he had a a similar run around October time when he was good - before a horrendous run of form in the lead up to Christmas.

Yep ,got to get consistency 

Lawrence can frustrate you but I’ve always said if you can get the best out of him he can be one of the best players in the championship and I’ve never got some of the hate he gets at times. He tries to be positive and it doesn’t always come off but we miss him when he’s not in the team and I belief he worries the opposition more than we realise.

4 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Hopefully. 

Want to see it over a period of time rather than a couple of games in a week though. We’ve been here before. 

This. 

Praise earned for what he's doing right now. He deserves his place and those that jeered him to cheer him (they shouldn't really jeer him in the first place). 

But we have had these little spells before where you think he's discovered a team game only to fall back into the solo show. 

It would be great if he can build from this point. It's about managing his ability and being disciplined and smart. All in his head. He will find he will be the star of the show if he lets it flow more naturally. 

He seems to have total freedom to drift into the no10 role and spank shots from a more central position. 
he seems to be working a bit harder. Maybe he can’t pretend to be the star now wazza has arrived.

Was he having a few verbals with the north stand recently? Certainly looked like it.

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

He seems to have total freedom to drift into the no10 role and spank shots from a more central position. 
he seems to be working a bit harder. Maybe he can’t pretend to be the star now wazza has arrived.

Was he having a few verbals with the north stand recently? Certainly looked like it.

Could be he’s better when a little under the radar , ie mount ,Wilson last season ,,, Rooney since jan

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

This. 

Praise earned for what he's doing right now. He deserves his place and those that jeered him to cheer him (they shouldn't really jeer him in the first place). 

But we have had these little spells before where you think he's discovered a team game only to fall back into the solo show. 

It would be great if he can build from this point. It's about managing his ability and being disciplined and smart. All in his head. He will find he will be the star of the show if he lets it flow more naturally. 

It feels to me that he’s less likely to return to his old ways with Rooney on the pitch. Wayne seems to be mentoring players during games and pointing out ways for them to improve and I imagine chats to them after games and during training. It may give Lawrence a bit more security to try things that may not work exactly because he’ll get advice on how to make it work.

He's always actually tried quite hard, and he's always had the talent. But a lot of the time he's struggled to make it effective. Hence the frustration from fans and the petulance from him becoming a negetive cycle.

Now he's just being a bit more effective with what he does he seems much improved. I'm sure Rooney has helped this.

I saw an interview where Rooney was talking about the players who were a big influence on him and he said it was Giggs that was the biggest! When you look at the players he's worked with like Van Nistilrooy, Keane, Ronaldo and the like, it surprised me to see Giggs was the player he looked up to the most. But it also goes to show that no matter how good you are or think you are, you need players around you that you can look up to and take advice from. I reckon his influence on players like Lawrence, Bird and Knight could be the best thing to come out of his move to Derby.

Lawrence away against Huddersfield was his best performance of the season for me. Closely followed by away against Swansea. In both games his work-rate off the ball was what caught the eye. When he's being more selfless off the ball, he seems to play better with the ball too. 

http://www.dai-sport.com/tom-lawrence-sends-message-ryan-giggs-earns-backing-Derby-boss-phillip-cocu/

"In the last couple of games Tom has returned to the form he had earlier in the season,” said Dutchman Cocu.

“He has a great ability to take shots. He can hit a curved shot from outside to inside and his shots today were the ones that are really difficult for a goalkeeper to catch it, even if they reach it.

“He is improving his first touch. It’s so important for a striker or winger, that first touch. If you need another touch to move the ball, then the chance can be over.

“This is an aspect of the game he has worked on and I’m happy to see that the end product is helping the team.”

On 08/02/2020 at 20:23, derbydaz22 said:

I’ve never got some of the hate he gets at times. 

On 09/02/2020 at 10:52, RadioactiveWaste said:

He's always actually tried quite hard, and he's always had the talent. But a lot of the time he's struggled to make it effective.

I am not his biggest fan because one of the qualitites I dislike more than any other is arrogance when it is not backed up. Also his body language implies laziness and not caring too much so even when he is trying it is not always obvious. This has been made twice as bad not better given his undoubted ability as it seems to be even more of a waste.

I actually love to see arrogance when it is well earned/backed up. Mohammed Ali/ Usain Bolt/ Paul Gasgoine for example.

I did not see the game this week, but I thought in the Stoke game he looked much better and from the highlights this weekend, seeing him clearing off the line and scoring a screamer at the other end has definitely not done any harm.

Keep doing this and people will forget about the poor body language and enjoy the arrogance and how it winds up the opposition with him.

PS I love you guys thinking Rooney will be talking to him to help him after the game - this may well be true but if Rooney did not mention that he was in a better position for a pass than the shot I would be very very surprised.

Archived